Spring break trip to New Orleans

Asking for some help, troop boys voted for a spring break trip to New Orleans to do the WW2  Museum, air boats and maybe one or two other things.  

I have never been there, and have been searching the web for camp ground options to keep the price down, do not see any close by, lots of RV camping but they usually do not like tents.  

Does anyone have any recommendations for camp grounds?  I see there are 2 Nat. Guard armory's has anyone seen if they will let scouts camp there?

Any other recommendations for Air boats, tours, must see, ect.  all would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Scott

Bit of a drive, approx 1.25 hours away,  but Salman Scout Reservation is in Perkinstion, MS and is the council camp.

City Park had a campsite called Scout Island, but do not know if they still allow camping. I haven't camped there since 1985.

I believe the National WWII Museum has an overnite program. I'd call and find out.

Another option, see what affilaited COs with yours are down there and work out something where you stay there and/or do something with the other troop.

Other things to do in New Orleans are the Museum of Art, Audubon Zoo, and The Aquarium. There was the Old Spanish Fort Trail if your troop is into hiking and learning history. That one starts in the Mid City area and ends at the Old Spanish Fort on Lake Pontchartrain. Another trail is the Carrolton Trail that takes you along the oldest streetcar line in the US down St. Charles Avenue. Nice thing about that one is that you can park in one location, hike to the end of the trail, and take the street car back.

About 1.25 - 1.5 hours away is Baton Rouge.  There is the USS KIDD, a Fletcher Class WWII destroyer that has been restored. They also have an overniter program, has excellent tours ( night tours are better than day tours since you have all night to explore the ship AND they take you into areas normally off limits due to time), and will work with you if you stay multiple nights. There are other museums there as well, but I'm partial to the KIDD since I worked there in grad school.

Good luck

Other things to do i

How far is swamp base? Might that be an option?

Great idea!! Our unit has been there and it is a GREAT place!! In fact, I would do it again before I ever went to The Summit.

Seems they have overnight stays on houseboats. They are in the Atchafalaya near Lafayette (pronounced down there as "La-FI-et"), which is about two hours away from the Big Easy proper.

Other things to do there (yeah, they're touristy):

• Beignets at Cafe du Monde
  • The WWII museum
  • Audubon Zoo
  • St. Louis Cemetary (I know, morbid, but actually pretty cool. Our guys loved it).
  • Mardi Gras World (See floats and other stuff)
  • The Cabildo (18th Century mansion where LA Purchase was signed)
  • Laura or Oak Alley plantation
  • Ghost tours (must be a dozen of them, but pretty cool thing to do at night)
  • Irish Bayou swamp tour
  • Jackson [inert new name here] Square

most Scout campgrounds etc. are more than an hour out from the city but there are two we have used that are much closer but not ideal

St. Bernard State Park  - 45 min South east of NOLA  GIANT Mesquites

501 Saint Bernard Pkwy

Saint Bernard, LA 70085

Phone number  (504) 682-2101  

Woodlands Conservancy

449 F. Edward Hebert Blvd,

Belle Chase, LA

504-433-4000

Allows Scouts to camp but no showers and very limited facility

The Scout reservation for the Southeast Louisiana Council is actually in Mississippi  http://www.bsa-selacouncil.org/

The neighboring council, Istrouma Area Council, has a nice camp to the west about the same distance as the Southeast Louisiana one https://www.iacbsa.org/

There may be others as well. 

And yes the WW2 museum is amazing!

Great idea!! Our unit has been there and it is a GREAT place!! In fact, I would do it again before I ever went to The Summit.

Seems they have overnight stays on houseboats. They are in the Atchafalaya near Lafayette (pronounced down there as "La-FI-et"), which is about two hours away from the Big Easy proper.

Other things to do there (yeah, they're touristy):

• Beignets at Cafe du Monde
  • The WWII museum
  • Audubon Zoo
  • St. Louis Cemetary (I know, morbid, but actually pretty cool. Our guys loved it).
  • Mardi Gras World (See floats and other stuff)
  • The Cabildo (18th Century mansion where LA Purchase was signed)
  • Laura or Oak Alley plantation
  • Ghost tours (must be a dozen of them, but pretty cool thing to do at night)
  • Irish Bayou swamp tour
  • Jackson [inert new name here] Square

well if you are adding food joints to.  then MOTHERS restaurant for an Everything Po'Boy. 

Regarding WWII Museum, I went there twice when it was still the D-Day Museum, and still have not seen everything.  MUST GO BACK FOR A FEW DAYS :) Me personally, I'd rather go next door to the University of New Orleans' Eisenhower Center and go through their archives. ;)

well if you are adding food joints to.  then MOTHERS restaurant for an Everything Po'Boy.

Praline Connection ... used to be in the warehouse district ... after Katrina relocated east of the FQ. Might be worth looking into. Best red beans and rice I ever had.