Thanks all , most responses I’ve gotten this quick ever.

Just found out from a friend I have EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) certification training apart of my program that day and unaware if the instructor will let us out.

I would inform the teacher that asked you to do the Flag Ceremony about this possible conflict, then go from there.  You might be surprised.

Edited by ValleyBoy
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your school has a JROTC program I would kindly suggest that they do it. They are already aligned with the school and should be equipped to do the ceremony.    But I would have no reservations abo

Brian, the ultimate measure of maturity is your willingness to do what is right when you know your actions will be opposed or ridiculed. Persecution is the furnace in which great character is forged,

I'm a bit late to the party.  When I was a senior in High School (2011), I got called to the Principals office. He asked me for a list of all the Eagle Scouts in the school, and asked me to arrange a

So ask your EMR teacher if you can take the time off to honor some fallen soldiers. Maybe he's a vet. You won't know until you ask.

Think about this Brian. Yes, it won't be easy. You might get ridiculed. You might not. You might also help bring a tear to a parent of someone that has died for their country. You're right it's about self esteem. And this might just be the time where you realize that your self esteem is more about what you choose to do than what your friends choose for you to do. One thing us old farts know is that this change will be coming for you. It came for all of us as well.

Good luck. If you choose to accept this mission, we promise you we will dump heaps of praise on you high enough to cancel out anything your lazy friends say.

• Upvote 1

So ask your EMR teacher if you can take the time off to honor some fallen soldiers. Maybe he's a vet. You won't know until you ask.

Think about this Brian. Yes, it won't be easy. You might get ridiculed. You might not. You might also help bring a tear to a parent of someone that has died for their country. You're right it's about self esteem. And this might just be the time where you realize that your self esteem is more about what you choose to do than what your friends choose for you to do. One thing us old farts know is that this change will be coming for you. It came for all of us as well.

Good luck. If you choose to accept this mission, we promise you we will dump heaps of praise on you high enough to cancel out anything your lazy friends say.

And don't forget the girls. ;)

Man I wish I could post that good of an response.

He is right you know Brian.

I know you will do the right thing.

This is a no brainer. I wore my uniform every Feb 8th in High School, often being the only uniformed guy in school.

I'm glad I did. It helped when I was the only sexually restrictive ethicist in my college dorm floor, the only Christian in the Mosque, the only person who admired Darwin in a room full of creationists, etc ....

You have everything to gain by wearing your field uniform in school every chance you get.

You have so much to loose if you don't. Opportunities like this come rarely.

If you are worried about friends (or enemies), talk to them tomorrow. Tell them you were asked to do this. Ask them what they think.

Speaking of your culinary vocation, the culinary school students (when it was in town) road the same bus I did through a rough part of the city. They were to walk through the doors in proper uniform. Which meant they were dressed that way waiting for the bus ... some of them in gangsta land. On the other hand, anyone would be a fool to tease kids with sharp knives in their kits! :p

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of your culinary vocation, the culinary school students (when it was in town) road the same bus I did through a rough part of the city. They were to walk through the doors in proper uniform. Which meant they were dressed that way waiting for the bus ... some of them in gangsta land. On the other hand, anyone would be a fool to tease kids with sharp knives in their kits! :p

I’m in nursing, was just explaining why there is a restaurant in my school haha.

I’m in nursing in high school and I get certified as a nursing assistant

Let me get this straight. You are a high school boy who is studying to be a nurse, and it is the boy scout thing that you feel will get you snickers from other boys.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1

Let me get this straight. You are a high school boy who is studying to be a nurse, and it is the boy scout thing that you feel will get you snickers from other boys.

I'm studying to be a Occupational Therapist, but I graduate from high school as a nurse.

• Upvote 1

Trust me, being a Boy Scout is nothing compared to being a male nurse. Only thing harder is being a male certified nurse midwife. Yeah, we have one of those at my hospital.

I actually wouldn't mind being a male nurse, nobody even cares that I am studying to be one out of high school. Never was picked on once, it's a normal thing around me. 

Boy Scouts again, just has a bad reputation around me.

Brian, the ultimate measure of maturity is your willingness to do what is right when you know your actions will be opposed or ridiculed. Persecution is the furnace in which great character is forged, and this is a chance for you to choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.

Before you is an opportunity to serve those who served their country against real enemies, people who would take their very lives if they could. They sacrificed their comfort and personal safety, their time, and often their lives, to stand against foes who wanted to destroy the things most dear to them. These were men and women who did the right thing because it was right - not because it was easy. To do them the small honor of lending dignity to their ceremony, at a small sacrifice of your time and comfort, would be a large step in building the character of the man you want to become. 

I understand what it is to be looked down on by others. When I was in high school lo these many years ago (I graduated in 2002 so I exaggerate a bit), I was bullied and made fun of for all kinds of things - I was small, awkward-looking, and shy. So I had a choice to make - would I let the actions of others determine my right to create a positive experience for myself, or would I take command of myself and choose to have positive experiences despite their attempts to bring me down? And I chose the latter. I ignored their attempts to insult or offend me, I took pleasure in the activities I loved that they mocked, and I was kind to people that were mean to me. I forgave whatever they said or did to me, and continued on with my life. By the time I was a Senior, nobody made fun of me anymore, people started treating me better, and some people even told me as we prepared to graduate that they felt bad about how they had treated me, and wished me success as I went off to college. I made the experience a positive one, even if the circumstances that couched them were not.

Can you make Scouting "cool" in their eyes? No. But can you follow your passion to gain their respect? Yes. A thousand times yes. It will take time. It will be hard. But your ability to find the joy in your choices is stronger than their ability to put them down. You are doing something to serve people who gave up far more, went through much worse, and deserve something much better. Be the man you aspire to be now, and it will be much easier to maintain that dignity of character later. I pray your efforts will be strengthened as you make the choice you feel is right. Because, as you well know, you have more than enough wisdom to know what the right choice is, and more than enough courage to make it happen. 

:happy:

• Upvote 4

Brian, the ultimate measure of maturity is your willingness to do what is right when you know your actions will be opposed or ridiculed. Persecution is the furnace in which great character is forged, and this is a chance for you to choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.

Before you is an opportunity to serve those who served their country against real enemies, people who would take their very lives if they could. They sacrificed their comfort and personal safety, their time, and often their lives, to stand against foes who wanted to destroy the things most dear to them. These were men and women who did the right thing because it was right - not because it was easy. To do them the small honor of lending dignity to their ceremony, at a small sacrifice of your time and comfort, would be a large step in building the character of the man you want to become. 

I understand what it is to be looked down on by others. When I was in high school lo these many years ago (I graduated in 2002 so I exaggerate a bit), I was bullied and made fun of for all kinds of things - I was small, awkward-looking, and shy. So I had a choice to make - would I let the actions of others determine my right to create a positive experience for myself, or would I take command of myself and choose to have positive experiences despite their attempts to bring me down? And I chose the latter. I ignored their attempts to insult or offend me, I took pleasure in the activities I loved that they mocked, and I was kind to people that were mean to me. I forgave whatever they said or did to me, and continued on with my life. By the time I was a Senior, nobody made fun of me anymore, people started treating me better, and some people even told me as we prepared to graduate that they felt bad about how they had treated me, and wished me success as I went off to college. I made the experience a positive one, even if the circumstances that couched them were not.

Can you make Scouting "cool" in their eyes? No. But can you follow your passion to gain their respect? Yes. A thousand times yes. It will take time. It will be hard. But your ability to find the joy in your choices is stronger than their ability to put them down. You are doing something to serve people who gave up far more, went through much worse, and deserve something much better. Be the man you aspire to be now, and it will be much easier to maintain that dignity of character later. I pray your efforts will be strengthened as you make the choice you feel is right. Because, as you well know, you have more than enough wisdom to know what the right choice is, and more than enough courage to make it happen. 

:happy:

I was the same, but in middle school. I’d rather not be bullied again (I always got picked on in middle school for being a Boy Scout). Only my close friends know I’m a Boy Scout, and I would “advertise†I’m a Boy Scout but the memories of being picked on are not always great. I’m only a sophomore, I have 3 years (including this year) left with my grade, and they will pick anyone who does it.

I’m proud to be a Boy Scout, I wouldn’t be able to volunteer as much if I wasn’t, I enjoy helping others (reason why I’m going into medical field). I wouldn’t be able to camp as much either.

Brian I did something similar in my school. We got six guys together and had one of the guy’s dads drill us. He used to be in the old guard in the army. We were so sharp you could have cut yourself on us. We did it just like the old guard, few commands and very clear. Even those guys who wanted to make fun of us couldn’t. When we were done everyone applauded. My dad said it was like an 80s movie, whatever that means.

• Upvote 1

Brian ... it’s your call. That said a few quick things I think back to in high school:

1) I have more regrets on opportunities I passed on vs took. The girl I didn’t ask out because I was afraid she would say no (it happens, who cares and move on) or the time I could have been on the field during a World Cup match and passed (once in a life time opportunity).

2) Everybody thinks that their actions are the center of all gossip at school. Yep, you may get a hard time for a week. But the half life on high school gossip is much shorter than you think. They’ll find something else soon enough.

Embarrassment passes, but I think you would look back and be proud of honoring them. You may even be surprised by some reactions.

• Upvote 2