Was approached by a teacher today (veteran) who hosts events at our school for veterans, and we have one coming up where Gold Star Moms (child died while serving) and veterans come to our school and get to talk to students & have a luncheon (my votech has a restaurant for culinary art students) and he asked me and a few other scouts in the class if we could do a flag ceremony.

He wants FULL class A, and I honesty don’t feel comfortable in front of all my friends (they joke all the time about me being a scout), and it’s sad that BSA has a bad rep like that.

I know I should be representing my County, doing my duty, etc. but it’s more of like my own self esteem.

Could use opinions.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your school has a JROTC program I would kindly suggest that they do it. They are already aligned with the school and should be equipped to do the ceremony.    But I would have no reservations abo

Brian, the ultimate measure of maturity is your willingness to do what is right when you know your actions will be opposed or ridiculed. Persecution is the furnace in which great character is forged,

I'm a bit late to the party.  When I was a senior in High School (2011), I got called to the Principals office. He asked me for a list of all the Eagle Scouts in the school, and asked me to arrange a

Peer pressure is a powerful motivator. Probably the most misused technique in the BSA for motivating scouts to change their behavior. You will be confronted with the force hundreds of times in your lifetime. You either develop the self confidence to ignore peer pressure, or you let it control you.

I'm told girls like a good uniform.

Barry

There is only one person in this world that you can control how they feel and act and that one person is yourself.  From reading some of your post in the last few week I get the feeling that you are a Boy Scout because you want to be a Boy Scout.  You have to be happy with your own actions because in the long run you are the only one that controls your own self esteem.

If your school has a JROTC program I would kindly suggest that they do it. They are already aligned with the school and should be equipped to do the ceremony. 

Nope. I go to a Vocational high school and there is a law & Public safety that is equipped to do it, but he didn’t ask them.

I want to do it, but around me scouts are considered “geeky†“no friendsâ€, there’s around 10 Scouts in my school and only 3-4 (including me) actually have friends & socialize.

Boy Scouts have a bad reputation unfortunately when it comes to teens

Well, admittedly this would have been a very tough sell for my son.  It is an individual decision, but I will say that you have a chance here to show Scouting in its best light, not to mention yourself.  If at least, say, four of you are doing it, then you are doing it as part of a group.  There is strength in numbers. If you decide to do it, you might want to go to the two Scouts who have decided to do it and say something like, "I'm in, let's all do it together."

Added note:  I agree with some of the previous posters, your friends may react differently from how you think they will.  They already know you are a Scout, they make fun of you for it but it must not be too vicious because they are still your friends.  You can show them what they are making fun of, and it might get them to think a little.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Well, admittedly this would have been a very tough sell for my son.  It is an individual decision, but I will say that you have a chance here to show Scouting in its best light, not to mention yourself.  If at least, say, four of you are doing it, then you are doing it as part of a group.  There is strength in numbers. If you decide to do it, you might want to go to the two Scouts who have decided to do it and say something like, "I'm in, let's all do it together."

I have been friends with the one who’s not coming at all for over 8 years even though we are in other troops and I know he won’t change his mind. The other scouts won’t do it, so only one not including me.

I’m in nursing in high school and I get certified as a nursing assistant, I talk to veterans & the elderly at centers, nursing homes, and more when I have clinicals. I’m not afraid to communicate, it’s just I have friends that would joke about it for 3 years.

Your friends are going rag on you no matter what you do.  But I suspect if you show up in support of veterans and especially Gold Star parents, your friends will be impressed.  Will they still tease you about it.  Yep.  But lets face it, they know it is an honorable thing you are doing.  Just be ready with a response like "I didn't wear the uniform to impress you, I wore it to honor them"  and of course, in extreme circumstances, add something like "and your girlfriend thinks I look good in uniform".

In all seriousness, it sounds like the underlying issue may be your own pride as a Scout.  While I don't know about your scouting career, I suspect you have done things in scouting that your friends would not have the courage, knowledge, or ability to do.  I suspect that you have learned leadership and life skills that will give you confidence to succeed as a young adult.  You need to take ownership and pride of that.

Your buddies probably wear a uniform in sports where they maneuver a ball the same way every week.  They get really good at manipulating a ball.  In your uniform, you are learning to manage the natural world, the social world, and the business world.  So tell them to go play with their ball in the corner and leave the uniforms to real men.

Ok, too much?  Here is some more practical advice.  I assume your friend group includes females.  In front of the group, say to a female "I have worked hard to earn the right to wear this uniform and the badges it contains.  I have been asked to wear it in school to honor mothers that have lost their children in war.  Do you think that is cool or lame?"  Some idiot friend of yours will say "Lame", and then face the wrath of the females.

I am writing this as an adult who was not a Scout as a youth.  I ragged on every scout friend I had.  I teased the hell out of them about their uniforms.  At the same time, I was jealous that they were getting to do all kinds of cool stuff.

• Upvote 3

Thanks all , most responses I’ve gotten this quick ever.

Just found out from a friend I have EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) certification training apart of my program that day and unaware if the instructor will let us out.