New Troop/Pack Flags from Supply

Troop/ Pack both originated in 1956.   I didn't know it at the time, but it turns out I was one of the "charter" Cub Scouts. 

When Scoutson Eagled out, (2010)   I became the Unit Commissioner . In watching flag ceremonies, I took the SPL aside  aside and asked him to check the flags. They looked kind of "used" to me.   He  came back shaking his head, said the US flag was a 48 star flag !  And the Troop flag "didn't feel right". Turned out it was  a cotton/wool blend !  They were the original flags since the founding of the Units! 

Well, since they were about to get a new Scoutmaster, we decided to get new flags and present the old ones to the exiting Scoutmaster. We couldn't locate any of the (really)past Scoutmasters, even tho they were planning a 60 something anniversary party.  The new flags were "embroidered". 

Hmmm, I wonder if they still sell black, green, red, white, yellow and blue cotton cloth at the fabric store.  Grommets are not a deal breaker and one only needs 2.

I wonder if a quilter could pull off 4 hems and 6 seams and then sew down iron-on applique lettering.  Grommets a problem?  Go with a sleeve or sew button-hole grommets instead.

Borrow another troop's flag for a pattern for measuring and lettering.

Anyone ever consider approaching the quilting ladies at the CO church?

Edited by Stosh

:)  Betsy Ross didn't have a pattern to work from, at least the ladies today can make a pattern from existing flags.  I do it all the time. 

in 1910 BSA had no scout uniform, but they were allowed by Congress to use current military uniforms instead.  The uniform I wore at the Centennial Jamboree was a reproduction 1910 US Army uniform with BSA buttons and collar brass.  Sea Scouts still carry on the tradition now for over 100 years.

The "Smokey" hat is not named correctly.  It has nothing to do with Smokey the Bear or State Patrol officers.  It is the US Army regulation campaign hat that was worn by US Forestry Service employees.  Campaign hat refers to the every day hat of the Army, not the dress hat worn by officers.

Making flags, is a piece of cake compared to the hoops one has to jump through to get decent reproductions on other things.  And by the way, a spark will burn a little hole in a cotton flag,  Nylon?  Yeah right, that will melt a huge hole, if not consume the whole flag.  If one wants a durable flag, use dress wool fabric.  It's surprising just how fire retardant wool is.

Figuring these things out with a modicum of background information is not that difficult.  Those that have, get surprising results.