This is beginning to bug me

I have noticed that on a lot of posts people have typed @Stosh and I am assuming they want it to send a notification to that person that they were "tagged" in a post.  Well, that doesn't work just putting an @ in front of the name.  If one really wants it to work, the need to either use the pull-down menu option or type it in HTML code (member='Stosh')  but use brackets [ ] instead of parentheses, Otherwise on the menu bar just to the left of the Font box is a blue square icon.  Click on that and the pull-down menu will give you a number of choices to create links.  Go to member and select that.  It will ask for a name, type it in and voila, you have a link.

If one does it correctly, go into "Edit" and it will display in HTML code correctly.  The name should show in blue (a link) when it is saved to the forum.  A message will automatically go out notifying that person they were named in a comment on the forum.  They can click on that message and it will take them directly to that post they were referred to in.  That post will appear between the message icon and your name at the top of the screen.  It changes color when a notification comes in.

@Stosh

I sent it to myself and I did not get a notification.  Maybe there's something more wrong than just linking it when it comes to notifications.

@qwazse  Did it work for your notifications?

Edited by Stosh

It hasn't been working.  I have seen @Stosh in posts, but I got no notification of the tag. 

@ItsBrian  This should turn blue and you should get a notification.

I clicked on the blue ItsBrian above and it took me to your profile page, so the link works, just wonder about the notification process.

If not I'll whine to the Moderators.

Edited by Stosh

The reference to me did not show up on my notification bar, but still linked to my profile. So, it's doing one half of its job, but not the other.

P.S. - I'm in an internet-free home for the extended weekend, so I can only check this stuff as long as a barista is pouring coffee.

P.P.S. - Although there's lots of flotsam and jetsam on the Treasure Coast, folks have cleaned up after Irma here nicely. Thanks for doing your part, Stosh!

Edited by qwazse

The reference to me did not show up on my notification bar, but still linked to my profile. So, it's doing one half of its job, but not the other.

P.S. - I'm in an internet-free home for the extended weekend, so I can only check this stuff as long as a barista is pouring coffee.

P.P.S. - Although there's lots of flotsam and jetsam on the Treasure Coast, folks have cleaned up after Irma here nicely. Thanks for doing your part, Stosh!

LOL!!  I flew into Orlando to do a 2 week deployment on Irma with the Mrs. and the first thing they asked us to do was drive an Emergency Relief Vehicle (ERV) to the Wildfires in California.  ROAD TRIP!  When we got to Sacramento I asked if I should return to Orlando or say with the wildfires.  I spent two weeks in Sacramento on the fires and then drove an ERV back home to Wisconsin.  ROAD TRIP!  I know there were thousands of ARC people down there helping the Floridians out, but after doing 4 weeks in Houston with Harvey then 4 weeks with Irma and California. it's good to be back home.  Not really "fun", but very rewarding putting my Scout skills and Christian mission into places needing it the most.  The worst part of it all was we had packed shorts and t-shirts for Florida and ended up freezing our butts off the rest of the time out on deployment.  It takes on a whole new meaning to "Be Prepared".  By the time we got back to Wisconsin, there was nothing left in my suitcase.  I was wearing everything!  A whole new concept for layering for warmth.   :)

LOL!!  I flew into Orlando to do a 2 week deployment on Irma with the Mrs. and the first thing they asked us to do was drive an Emergency Relief Vehicle (ERV) to the Wildfires in California.  ROAD TRIP!  When we got to Sacramento I asked if I should return to Orlando or say with the wildfires.  I spent two weeks in Sacramento on the fires and then drove an ERV back home to Wisconsin.  ROAD TRIP!  I know there were thousands of ARC people down there helping the Floridians out, but after doing 4 weeks in Houston with Harvey then 4 weeks with Irma and California. it's good to be back home.  Not really "fun", but very rewarding putting my Scout skills and Christian mission into places needing it the most.  The worst part of it all was we had packed shorts and t-shirts for Florida and ended up freezing our butts off the rest of the time out on deployment.  It takes on a whole new meaning to "Be Prepared".  By the time we got back to Wisconsin, there was nothing left in my suitcase.  I was wearing everything!  A whole new concept for layering for warmth.   :)

If it's any consolation, friends of ours completed their IRV training and flew into Houston with the assignment to transport one to Sacramento (their first love), but they had also just completed whatever training was needed for running a shelter, and got reassigned to close one in the ensuing three weeks. Last Sunday's dinner with them was all after-action review. The wife said the past couple of years living on the North Side of Pittsburgh prepared her well for interacting with clients already displaced for seven weeks!

If it's any consolation, friends of ours completed their IRV training and flew into Houston with the assignment to transport one to Sacramento (their first love), but they had also just completed whatever training was needed for running a shelter, and got reassigned to close one in the ensuing three weeks. Last Sunday's dinner with them was all after-action review. The wife said the past couple of years living on the North Side of Pittsburgh prepared her well for interacting with clients already displaced for seven weeks!

I am GAPed (Group Activity Position) in everything from feeding, sheltering, bulk delivery, chaplaincy, client case work, and a dozen other areas.  I probably met your friends and didn't know it.  I was the ERV Yard Dog, keeping the vehicles up and running throughout the deployment.  It's a small world.

I have been informed that the forum software is in the process of being upgraded and that this issue (as well as others that may show themselves over the next few weeks) most likely results from that.  Please fasten your seatbelts and keep your arms and legs inside the forum at all times...