I wanted to make one more comment.  It's about philosophy.

Scouting is person-to-person.  Scouting is doing and interacting.  I really fear checklists changing a relaxed talk into a bureaucratic performance review.  Troop committees are not corporate human resources.  It's a similar argument against MB workbook.   As I believe the best MB counseling occurs sitting on the grass leaning against a tree, the best POR review happens with the SM at camp during sunset as part of a friendly relaxed chat.  Not only do you NOT need a checklist.  Checklists damage the experience.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just my opinion, but it is not the job of the unit committee to monitor how each boy is doing in their position of reasonability.  Let me take that back they can monitor by getting feedback from the S

What on Earth does the committee have to do with a boy's performance in his duties? They have no place in the internal affairs of the Troop; if somebody is going to monitor their progress, it's the Pa

The committee is responsible for the SM guiding the program toward the vision and goals. They hire and fire SMs to fit their program. I have no problem with them asking questions or suggesting ideas.

I agree with many of the posts that the formal monthly evaluation and scorecards are unnecessary, that it should be the SPL dealing with the other POR-holders, and the SM deals with the SPL.  I also think that if the SM notices that the holder of a POR is basically doing nothing, and the SPL does not seem to be succeeding in motivating/mentoring the Scout, the SM can talk to the Scout directly.  I realize that may be heresy with some here, but the fact is that the SM can have a conference with any Scout at any time, and a Scout who is not adequately performing his POR is reason enough for a conference, in my opinion.

I also agree with MattR that some of the responses here have been a bit harsh.

• Upvote 1

I'm more sympathetic to mentorship.

I agree we should avoid "checklists" and "policies", etc., which in my experience result in tying my hands as Scoutmaster more than they compel performance in a POR.  On the other hand I do see value in the mentor idea in order to "set a scout up for success" when refocusing or starting a troop anew.  At the risk of taking some quotes on this thread out of context, here are a couple of examples:

A Committee has three major roles and one minor role:

Major 2:  Provide logistical, financial and administrative support to the Troop.

In providing logistical and administrative support, a fully staffed Troop Committee typically has an Equipment Coordinator and a Chaplain.  Isn't it reasonable to expect these adults to have some interaction - mentor, if you will - the scout Quartermaster and Chaplain's Aide?

The committee is responsible for the SM guiding the program toward the vision and goals.... I have no problem with them asking questions or suggesting ideas ...

As for who mentors who, it really depends on how much the program is using the patrol method and the maturity of the youth leaders. 11 and 12 year old PLs need a lot more mentoring than 15 year olds. Who does that mentoring depends on the maturity of the older Scouts.
Mentoring is important to our program, but the goal is for most of the mentoring to be done by Scouts.
So, to answer the OP, I would suggest the mentors should approach their role as mentoring future mentors. Not leaders.

I agree in a fully operational troop the prior holders of POR's would guide and mentor the incumbents.  But for those troops just starting out, or for established units undergoing a major shift (I can't imagine how a major equipment purchase, e.g., wouldn't require coordination between the adult Equipment Coordinator and the scout Quartermaster) I think temporary mentorship is a worthwhile idea.  With a little creativity, I would expect other adult and scout roles could be lined up as well.  Not for evaluation, simply for guidance.

Respectfully -

Craig

Edited by AltadenaCraig

In providing logistical and administrative support, a fully staffed Troop Committee typically has an Equipment Coordinator and a Chaplain.  Isn't it reasonable to expect these adults to have some interaction - mentor, if you will - the scout Quartermaster and Chaplain's Aide?

Not only is it reasonable, but the Troop Committee Guidebook specifically says that those two committee members are supposed to work with (or "guide" - they use different words for each position but I think they mainly mean the same thing) the Scouts in those POR's - AND the Advancement Coordinator is supposed to work with both the troop Scribe and troop Librarian, and the Treasurer is supposed to "train and supervise" the troop Scribe in record-keeping.  See http://www.magnificentsevens.org/docs/Resources/TroopCommitteeGuidebook/TroopCommitteeGuidebook.pdf, Chapter 4.  (That is not an official site but the books looks authentic to me.)

• Upvote 1

I agree in a fully operational troop the prior holders of POR's would guide and mentor the incumbents.  But for those troops just starting out, or for established units undergoing a major shift (I can't imagine how a major equipment purchase, e.g., wouldn't require coordination between the adult Equipment Coordinator and the scout Quartermaster) I think temporary mentorship is a worthwhile idea.  With a little creativity, I would expect other adult and scout roles could be lined up as well.  Not for evaluation, simply for guidance.

Respectfully -

Craig

Absolutely!

I grow tired of the rigid idealism that seems to hold these forum discussions hostage from outside-the-box ideas and suggestions. Troops in the real world have the freedom to use life experiences and creativity for dealing with the unusual and unexpected situations that challenge their program. It's one thing to use general principle as a compass for direction. It's something different to be held to the inflexible rails of idealistic theory.

The direction I give to new scout leaders of new troops is very different from the direction given for mature experienced programs, and between.

Barry

• Upvote 2