What we do to raise some money

Our troop (duh!) sells popcorn, but we also sometimes sell Trash Bags... :p silly I know, but it can be popular especially with relatives. But you might end up making money off your parents... xD

We still don't have a winner on the goat raffle.  :)

I dunno @stosh. I trash bag in hand cleans more than a goat in a raffle. :p

When I was a youth (60s-70s) I remember selling light bulbs...4-pack for a buck.  Our Explorer Post set up a Christmas tree lot every December...we had a blast every evening with a fire barrel and hot chocolate.  I imagine it was a lot of work for the leaders, though.  More recently, my troop sold Christmas wreaths (mail order) with good success.  Lots of repeat customers and my relatives in PA loved them.

I dunno @stosh. I trash bag in hand cleans more than a goat in a raffle. :p

I don't think so.  :)  the secret to a goat raffle is (drum roll!) When you buy a ticket for the raffle, don't put YOUR name on the stub that is drawn.  There's gotta be someone else out there that would totally appreciate getting a goat.  We did this in a small town, at the big fireman's day event we raffled it off and the "winner", if they didn't want the goat paid $25 to us to raffle it off again.  The mayor won a half dozen times, the police chief a few times, clergy got it and finally there was a scream of joy from the back, two little girls won the goat!  Needless to say we raised about $15,000 for the ambulance service in town.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

The times do change. People have different attitudes and desires. How to raise money for worthy causes?  Raffle a goat? HA ! 

Back in my Neolithic childhood, my dad's Lions Club sponsored a Horse show (!) at a local dairy farm.  It was a community BIG DEAL. The fence for the show ring had to be repaired and painted every year, An all day affair, 6am thru dark,  dressage, six and eight horse team demo,  riding clubs judged,  hunter jumping, we Scouts helped out a lot.  Before the Horse show, we went to (among other places. Talk about selling popcorn outside the Safeway....) the county fair and sold Lion Club raffle tickets . The prize?  A  Shetland pony.  My friend Henry R.  and I went to the county fair  with the pony in Mr. Stabler's  big boat of an Oldsmobile, pony sitting in the back seat (!!). The pony had a  banner over his back, extolling his virtues and the price of the tickets. Henry and I took turns leading the pony, Mr. Stabler and dad sold the tickets. 

People bought tickets , sometimes by the dozen, sometimes by the single.  Did they have a fenced yard for the pony?  I never did get a firm answer from my dad what would happen if we won.  We had three acres, could accommodate a pony, but would need a fence.  I knew a pony would be a definite asset to the family.  The winner was announced at the Horse Show. Sometimes the winner was there to claim it, sometimes not.  Ho  hum. 

The dairy is long gone, the property now a shopping center and McMansions on 1/2 acre lots.  The milk in our stores is from, I think,  maybe,  Pennsylvania and Virginia (I think).  The Lions Club is having a hard time recruiting "younger" folks to join.  They still do good work and "We Serve" is still the motto, but it is  harder to serve the way they used  to.  Sic Gloria mundi.   

Edited by SSScout

Our troop owned a garbage truck. It was a small town with no other garbage service. We probably couldn’t do it today but we sure knew where our funds were coming from. 

Edited by Saltface
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Our troop owned a garbage truck. It was a small town with no other garbage service. We probably couldn’t do it today but we sure knew where our funds were coming from. 

We have to take a lot of garbage from people too, but we don't get paid for it.

• Haha 1