When To Cancel A Camping Trip?

Go to solution Solved by qwazse,

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living in tornado alley, we have cancelled a few events over the years due to super cells targeting where we were going to be. Glad we did because each time those locations got pummeled.    We cance

Good call. Few people know to check the hydrology tables and flow rates to make sure your Class 2 did not become a Class 4-5 river.   We had to postpone a similar trip. The flow rate was 3x normal..

Winds under 50 mph? It's likely to be a great weekend!   Seriously, in this case we would advise scouts to dress appropriately for conditions. Bring rain coats/pants and spare dry clothes. Prepare t

4 hours ago, daimyo said:

Advise scouts to dress appropriately for conditions, our boy scouts learn in cub scouts that the only way we cancel a camping trip is a hurricane coming up the Mississippi.

Well, we didn't cancel because of that but the water flow on the river was fast enough to sweep our scouts to Houston.  I'm sorry when safety is concerned, I am the enemy of fun.  

15 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Well, we didn't cancel because of that but the water flow on the river was fast enough to sweep our scouts to Houston.  I'm sorry when safety is concerned, I am the enemy of fun.  

LOL we had a similar issue. We were supposed to do a canoe trip. A few dads were like "We can go, it's just a little rain." When we checked the water flow it was nearly 10 times what they usually experience. When we looked up the flow rate online it was above what an Olympic white water kayaker would experience. ;)

The dads acquiesced. 

• Upvote 1

Depends on the troop and the experience.  We backpacked one time as a tropical storm was heading into the area the day we hiked out.  I knew we could take a developed road out to the vehicles and there was a shelter at the campsite.  We had a a good day on Saturday; hiked, camped, and explored.  The rains came during the night.  We knew it was not going to be cold and the hike out was only a couple of miles.

The hike out in the pouring rain was epic.  Scouts has a fun, we got a little wet.  Loaded up and headed out.

Key was we knew what was coming and when.  I would not have gone out if the storm was coming in the day we were hiking in, too many issues with wind and trees.