Temporary patch placement!

Hey friends! SO my mom is re-working her uniform for her new position as Wolf Den Leader - she has been a Unit Commissioner for the past 6 years, so there's a lot of little things she has to change (loops, patches, et cetera). As she has been doing so, she has wanted to add a few patches she has received over the past year, and so whilst looking up patch placement on the official Uniform Inspection Sheet, she found this little clause in the section on "Right Pocket":

"Temporary insignia, including one current world Scout jamboree patch, centered on pocket. Only one temporary insignia may be worn at a time, and they are not required for correct uniforming. Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing the official uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip."

So first of all, I had never realized that Cub and female leaders could put one temporary insignia over the right pocket! I thought that space was ONLY reserved for Jamboree patches, so to suddenly find out that that isn't always the case is kind of cool! But this little tidbit of uniforming minutia raised an issue my mom then asked about which the official writing doesn't make entirely clear.

It's obvious that a temporary insignia may be worn on the right pocket, and that ONLY ONE may be worn. But it's ALSO clear that a temporary insignia can be worn above the right pocket. So, is this to be read as: 

1. you may only wear ONE temporary insignia, and that it must EITHER be placed on OR over the right pocket,

OR, that

2. Cub/female leaders may only wear ONE patch on the pocket, AND only ONE patch over the pocket, in addition to the one on it? 

Any insight would be great; we are of course looking for the official stance on this matter; we want to do this up right, and while we aren't looking to be "uniform police," we don't look down on them as much as some people seem to (I think the hostility is usually an excuse to get away with uniform violations anyway, lol). So yes please - anybody who can clarify would be much appreciated!

Edited by The Latin Scot

Apples and oranges.... :) a Cub Scout uniform is not a Boy Scout uniform.  I would not apply "jambo" patches to a Cub Scout uniform, nor would I put a Cub Scout patch on a Boy Scout uniform.

The grey area lies with the Webelos uniform being remarkably like the Boy Scout uniform.  However, one wears Cub bling on it and takes it all off when he crosses over to Boy Scouts with the exception of the religious knot and AOL if earned and the yellow/orange service stars earned as a Cub.  The Universal Scouting patch and council patch also stay.

I don't know why the female Cub uniform is still in use.  It would make it easier if they would wear the general uniform for all scouters.  However, with that being said, if they wish to wear the legacy uniforms, wear them with the legacy patches.   

I think the IG, without saying as much. is trying to give female cub leaders latitude in placing temporary insignia so that it sits at a more-than-equatorial latitude of feminine features.

So, IMHO, it's two options for one patch.

• Upvote 3

Apples and oranges.... :) a Cub Scout uniform is not a Boy Scout uniform.  I would not apply "jambo" patches to a Cub Scout uniform, nor would I put a Cub Scout patch on a Boy Scout uniform.

The grey area lies with the Webelos uniform being remarkably like the Boy Scout uniform.  However, one wears Cub bling on it and takes it all off when he crosses over to Boy Scouts with the exception of the religious knot and AOL if earned and the yellow/orange service stars earned as a Cub.  The Universal Scouting patch and council patch also stay.

I don't know why the female Cub uniform is still in use.  It would make it easier if they would wear the general uniform for all scouters.  However, with that being said, if they wish to wear the legacy uniforms, wear them with the legacy patches.   

Granted, although I am not talking about Cub Scout uniforms, NOR the yellow female uniform. The citation I quoted is actually in reference to Cub Scout and female leaders in the general tan/olive uniform. It seems that Cub Scout leaders AND female leaders in the tan/olive uniforms both have the option of putting temporary insignia over the right pocket above the BSA lettering in lieu of what would normally be a space reserved for Jamboree patches. My question was more in regards to whether an item placed in that location replaces what would normally be sewn centered on the right pocket, or if they can be placed there in addition to the same. 

And to be 100% honest @qwazse, that very thought had crossed my mind as I considered what could be a very awkward visual effect when putting certain patches in certain locations. I think for the time being, I will have Mother place her patch over the right pocket, while putting mine centered right on it with nothing added above. If more light is shed on the issue I can consider further alterations. Thanks all!

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1

I would have never even given such matters a second thought before becoming a crew advisor!

Although not about insignia placement, the post and subsequent comments from female leaders on Bryan's blog show how much of an issue this can be https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/10/09/tuck-everlasting-scout-uniform-shirts-should-always-be-tucked-in-bsa-says/.

I think the IG, without saying as much. is trying to give female cub leaders latitude in placing temporary insignia so that it sits at a more-than-equatorial latitude of feminine features.

So, IMHO, it's two options for one patch.

I have to re-read this a few times to get the sway of what was being said. :) No one in my generation writes like this. They’d just say it less discretely and that’s sad. Well done.

• Upvote 2

My son#1 mocks me when the most I may say around him is "comely lass" when he asks if I think some classmate of his is "smokin hot". I knew some of those girls when they were in diapers! -- not going there. The less said the better.

I learned my lesson many years ago...Mrs Turtle is a jealous and vengeful God. I walk carefully when she asks me to describe some fair Scouterette I have been working with. 

I suppose if I ever have to work with a mixed gender group of Scouts I will have to fall back on what I did with Graduate Students years ago "I see no gender only Comrades!"

• Upvote 1