Issues that come up inside the Program

Sounds like a kid can get busted and hauled off to jail for a lemonade stand where ValleyBoy lives.   Times sure have changed.  I looked forward to snow days from school because it meant lots of snow and a whole day of shoveling! 

Up until she passed, I always did a freebie for the elderly lady next door.  After every snow storm she got her walk shoveled in case of a medical emergency.  Her son lived a hour away and couldn't always make it right away.  Never said a word, but she always knew who did it. 

And what does the city say about a scout fundraiser where everyone goes out and shovels walks for a donation?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then why didn't you ask them?   When I was an IH, I would have never approved an arrangement whereby the unit is run by a defacto leadership different from the one I appointed and listed on the rech

My amended advice - Take a complete break from Scouting and take care of your family and yourself.   Whatever happens with the Pack drama will not be your fault.   Sometimes we forget that we can

We had the following issue come up in the past several months and this he how we resolved the issue.  At the end of the school year our troop adult leadership took on the 2nd year Webelos from our loc

Sounds like a kid can get busted and hauled off to jail for a lemonade stand where ValleyBoy lives.   Times sure have changed.  I looked forward to snow days from school because it meant lots of snow and a whole day of shoveling! 

Up until she passed, I always did a freebie for the elderly lady next door.  After every snow storm she got her walk shoveled in case of a medical emergency.  Her son lived a hour away and couldn't always make it right away.  Never said a word, but she always knew who did it. 

And what does the city say about a scout fundraiser where everyone goes out and shovels walks for a donation?

Yes times have changed.  My son who is a senior in college did cut the grass of the elderly couple that lived next door to us until they passed away several years ago.  He also still does  all the yard maintenance   for another older couple that we know. Both paid him for the work he done..  He and both couples knew if asked by the city code enforcement officer or any one else that he was only helping them because they  were unable to do the yard work themselves.

In our area it does not snow so I can only guess what  the city would say if it did snow and sidewalks and driveways need to be shoveled.  But my best guess would be that it would only be OK with the City if the Home owner was only asked if they wanted there sidewalk/driveway shoveled the word donation could not be used.  My city likes to look for anyway they can to make money and if any type service is provided that is also provided by any business and money changes hand they wont there cut.

So much for the entrepreneurial spirit.  I guess the days of learning capitalism at an early age is a thing of the past.  When I went off to college in 1968 I had in today's equivalent dollars $48,000 in the bank.  When I graduated from graduate school 9 years later, I was $1,500 in student debt, a new car, and I still had the money I had when I was in high school.  Never underestimate how far the government can reach into one's pockets in today's world.  :) 

A Scout is thrifty, it's just a bit harder in current times.