We don’t go to a camporee every month, don’t even think my Council has them that often. We have a camping trip every month beside January, where we have a hike. We always do atleast one activity a month. We often go camping with just our troop and rent a camp on all different Scout reservations and have a fun time but while hiking, etc.

It’s also great not following a schedule m, which is so relaxing.

Example;

We will be going camping next weekend and will be doing a hike, practicing first aid for upcoming first aid rally, etc.

Edited by ItsBrian

Curious as to whether you all consider a camporee as the troop’s monthly camp out.

Yes.  We usually have a camping trip every month except for December and sometimes do not have one the month that our unit goes to summer camp.  Our January camping trip always a district camporee held the last full weekend of the month. 

If the PLC decided to go, yes.

If only one patrol decided to go, no. That would be a patrol campount! :D

If the youth didn't want to go but the adults made them anyway, no. That's neither a troop or patrol campout. That's a committee campout. :mad:

• Upvote 3

If the youth didn't want to go but the adults made them anyway, no. That's neither a troop or patrol campout. That's a committee campout. :mad:

Our PLC, way back when, decided to give camporee a miss for three successive years. The reason being that the events became troop-based contests where some troops would "practice" the events for 3-4 months to get good at them. They would then organize their troop based on which guys were the best at each event, then organize them in to "patrols" just for camporee. I kid you not...this went on for YEARS!!!

Our guys got their butts kicked so bad that the PLC refused to attend camporee from 2012-2015. We went on a killer canoe trip each year instead. The TC tried to change their mind but, as SM, I stood with the boys and their decision; even when the TC tried to strong-arm the guys in to going. The PLC won out.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

I'm torn on the issue. I do consider it a campout, but with one in the fall and another in the spring, and Klondike in the winter it's just a lot of council activities counted as campouts.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm torn on the issue. I do consider it a campout, but with one in the fall and another in the spring, and Klondike in the winter it's just a lot of council activities counted as campouts.

@@F-P Are your boys choosing to go to camporees? Or, is someone making them?

Our boys elect to go to Klondike, but rarely choose fall or spring camporees. It really wrankles the old farts who plan (correction: who dumb down the ideas of college age volunteers), but you can't harp on "boy led" and then say 1/4 of your program must be district events. (Yes, that sucks about 20 minutes of discussion at roundtables.)

The older boys often go to ski weekends summits with their venturing crew or O/A. So, a lot of council activities could get counted as campouts for camping MB (if the boys want them to, it being their responsibility to track that sort of thing).

But, if you got a troop or patrol of boys who are all about attending every camporee in theirs and neighboring districts, Bless their little hearts, why don't you want to count those nights for advancement? Don't they still have to plan their own meals, pitch their own tents, etc ...?

Thanks for the replies.

I will admit, I, personally, am not a big fan of camporees, but if the boys want to go, of course it should be counted as a campout. Heck, if a single boy wanted to go as a provisional with another troop, it would be counted as a campout for him.