"Knock it off with them negative waves." Being positive.

While it's more personal, it is Scout related. :)

We have a small group of 4 Scouts and 2 adults going backpacking. My middle son, the one who has been in the troop less than a year, wants to do the AT this summer, and this will be his second shakedown trip. When I came home from work, he was 95%  packed. I did a shake down while he finished getting the gear. He's ready to go and he did it on their own.

To make it more interesting, oldest just informed me that as an incentive for middle son to prep for the AT, everytime he does a certain distance with a full pack, the oldest will allow him 30 minutes on his gaming computer for one specific game. Now only if he would let ME play the game ;)

27 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Son#2 is on stand by status for his Eagle BOR for Thursday.:) I think he will do well--he is a good interview--and a very deserving and experienced scout. 

Congrats (in advance) to Son # 2!  I am just curious about standby status, I have never heard of that in connection with a BOR.  Does that mean they have several Scouts scheduled for EBOR's and that if they finish with them quickly enough they will be able to take your son?

9 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

One of my scouts has got a place with the UK contingent for WSJ 2019. She's lovely! One of the most enthusiastic scouts I've ever had :)

Great news Cambridge!

Just now, NJCubScouter said:

Congrats (in advance) to Son # 2!  I am just curious about standby status, I have never heard of that in connection with a BOR.  Does that mean they have several Scouts scheduled for EBOR's and that if they finish with them quickly enough they will be able to take your son?

The District gentleman likes to do three an evening and, while my son is #1 in the queue, it depends if the other two lads (who live elsewhere) will be available that night. If not it gets kicked to next week. Having seen these things before it is best for them to grab the earliest opportunity. The holidays kind of disrupt stuff. But the Eagle BOR chair is a really good and through guy so I trust him on his method.

10 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

The District gentleman likes to do three an evening and, while my son is #1 in the queue, it depends if the other two lads (who live elsewhere) will be available that night. If not it gets kicked to next week. Having seen these things before it is best for them to grab the earliest opportunity. The holidays kind of disrupt stuff. But the Eagle BOR chair is a really good and through guy so I trust him on his method.

Ah. Pretty much the opposite of what I thought.  :)

1 minute ago, Tampa Turtle said:

"I am a Scout and a Scout is all about having fun. If I can't have some fun with my uniform I should join the military".

Came out wanting to plan some high adventure outings for the guys still in the Troop; I am most pleased that 'he gets it".

Congrats!

I see letters, maybe recruiters themselves,  from Armed Forces Recruiting magically appearing at his EBOR. :D

26 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Congrats!

I see letters, maybe recruiters themselves,  from Armed Forces Recruiting magically appearing at his EBOR. :D

He is a junior and starting to look at colleges with ROTC programs. I think he is more of a 'group' person. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

The Turtles are happy to announce the birth of their 5' -11" 120 pound Eagle Scout. Gave great interview I hear.

Survived despite leaving 'gag patches' on his uniform ("I Speak English" and a Klingon Interpreter Strip). Likes to live dangerously--when questioned about if that was his attitude toward a serious interview--he said "I am a Scout and a Scout is all about having fun. If I can't have some fun with my uniform I should join the military". He was having a pretty good time.

Came out wanting to plan some high adventure outings for the guys still in the Troop; I am most pleased that 'he gets it".

To quote the Emperor, ' EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!"

• Upvote 1