"Knock it off with them negative waves." Being positive.

So, Scouting has been stressing, me out as of late as evidenced in other threads. Need to focus on the good things to keep me going a little longer. So this thread is POSITIVE, things that you think about when things go south.

Or as SGT. Oddball would say, 'Knock it off with them negative waves."

I'll start.

1) View of the lake this weekend at sunrise. The sun was barely over the trees, the fog was on the lake, and the only thing up and about was the geese. Wish I had a camera with me.

2) Middle son's costume in the costume contest. He came really close to getting third as the Grim Reaper. 1 vote difference.

3) Friend's son winning First Place in the costume contest. The kid missed the morning portion of camporee, but had a blast that afternoon. He was looking forward to the contest because his costume took several months to make, and he made it from scratch. Everyone agreed it was the best one.

4) Having an out of district unit attend camporee, because the events looked like fun and they wanted to try it. They had a blast and are planning on attending next year.

5) We had 3 troops and 1 Webelos Den in attendance that normally do not attend district/council events. Do not know why they decided to attend this year's district camporee but was glad they had a positive experience. Cubmaster is now planning to attend the Webeloree in the spring. And I believe the three troops will be back.

6) One of the Life Scouts is busting butt to finish his Eagle requirements before his 18th Birthday this month. Seeing him grow up and take responsibility is a great motivator for being a Scouter.

So what are some of yours?

• Upvote 1

I got the positive-feelies from helping a Life Scout the other day work on one of his final Eagle required Merit Badges. He was also struggling with some tough personal issues and we had a long talk about how that was going. I felt it was really worth my time. So I get what you say.

• Upvote 1

Like it. Let's see now...

1) Slightly bittersweet, but we ran our selection for the World Scout Jamboree the weekend before last. Picking 5 from 15 was unpleasant, but the actual weekend was a blast. Lots of the kids remarked (and not just to score points) what a fun weekend they'd had. We've got five darn fine candidates coming to you year after next. Bittersweet because of course there was only room for 5 and we had to turn down some good candidates. Reportedly many have responded to rejection down at first, but then happy for those that are going and promising to support them. Good character showing there.

2) It was supposed to be gale force winds and torrential rain, but it was just "quite windy".

3) There were some scout leaders there who are leading the units to the Jamboree who were genuinely impressed at the very high quality of candidates, and by extension, scouting, in my district.

4) Have started planning for next year's summer camp. Looks like, fingers crossed, we may be camping on actual Brownsea Island at the actual campsite of BP's first experimental camp for the night as part of it.

Now that I'm no longer SM I decided to work on developing teamwork within the new scout patrol. Long story short is that even though I couldn't go on the last two campouts a parent of one of the new scouts told me that the new scout patrol was the most well run patrol they saw by far. There was nobody leading the patrol but the patrol leader.

I may have found what I want to do.

• Upvote 2

my son recently spent seven hours in our park system looking for wildlife for his fish and wildlife merit badge requirement. said he had a great time.  he'll be out there again because he still needs two more.

The wife recently overheard a conversation our son had with another non-scout friend saying how much fun he had at a recent scout event.  This felt good because the event was my idea and I was a little nervous about it.  I also got positive feedback from some other scouts and adults.

popcorn sales are done.

This from one of my first venturers ...

..., a week from tomorrow I will be going through one of the scariest, yet one of the most relieving experiences of my life.

I will be donating 2/3 of my liver. I'm nervous for obvious reasons, but also will be so relieved since the recipient needs this to continue a normal life.

When I first heard the news that the recipient needed a liver transplant, I happened to be driving home one afternoon. I prayed to to God, asking Him "oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord, what do I do? What do I do?" As tears were streaming down my face. At that exact moment I came to a red light. I looked up, and the car in front of me was covered with bumper stickers saying "donate life" and "become a living organ donor" - dead serious. Coincidence? Maybe. But I knew it was an answer to my question. I knew from that moment on the decision was made, and this is one of the callings from God.

I decided to post this status to simply raise awareness of living organ donation - not for attention, or being looked at as some "hero," or for pity. I hope that more people can become more open minded on this topic.

Although my nursing career has been paused for the time being, I know that being a patient in the hospital will give me a new perspective that I can carry with me while I tend to my future patients.

Luckily, my liver will regenerate back to its normal size within six weeks of the surgery, which I find amazing. The 2/3 of my liver that is given to the recipient will grow to fit the size of their body.

A good friend once told me "The only things that matter in life is your family/friends and your health" and this quote could not be more perfect to describe my current situation.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support and prayers. Words cannot describe how blessed I am, and I know the recipient and I will be just fine with God on our side2764.pngâ¤ï¸

• Upvote 1

I helped run the BB gun range at the council cub camp out this past weekend.  Long, cold and wet days to get things set up and then run (to be fair, the archery crew had it worse.  At least we had cover on the rifle range.)  So, the activities are over and I'm heading back to the dining hall to get some sweet nectar of life (coffee) and ran into some of the Cubs.  One said "You're range master KYScouter from BB, right?"  I said yes and he proceeded to tell me that was the most fun thing he did all camp.  Another little guy recognized me and introduced me to his mom.....high praise from a little boy. 

The weekend was totally worth it!

Son#2 Pending-Eagle finished up his Bugle MB as his swan song and so he could hit 40 on his sash because it was a nice round number. It was nice to see him playing in the court yard with the old-old Scoutmaster who came out just to let him wrap up the incomplete started in 2011!

This past Weekend I helped taught IOLS to 28 really active nascent Scoutmasters.  The weather predicted (near Harpers Ferry WVA) was for rainy off and on all weekend, possible gale force winds and heavy rain Saturday night thru sunday.  The schmart phones were kept busy, looking at the radar/satellite images....

We rearranged the schedule to accommodate the possible weather (we have a nice big open pavilion), and so did the hikes and such Saturday.  Fortunately, the weather moderated, we had no need for "plan B"  (retreat to the big barn on the property).

The group was very gung-ho Scouty, they had worked up Patrol flags, good cooking, gear sharing over the previous weeks by email and phone.  A disparate group from Baltimore area, DC area, Virginia and  West Virginia.  One Muslim, three Jews, three LDS, handful of Catholics, one Buddhist and assorted protestants of several flavors.  We discovered that one lady was there as a tribute to her husband. He was the  Scoutmaster of the Troop for the last (?)5 years, but had suffered a stroke. He was back home recovering, paralyzed from the chest down.  She had previously been his unofficial assistant and now was being supported by the Troop to become his replacement (!!). She dove in to all the training, left at 9pm to go home and take over from his caregiver and returned sunday by 9am to continue.

There seemed to be lots of "aha" moments, saw many heads nodding in agreement over the weekend. Teach the skills to your boys, boy led, step back, let'm go.  

There is hope for the future....

• Upvote 1

Corn Maze with Crew Friday night, took my son and soon to be old enough daughter. Had a great time.

Taught ILSC Saturday to the new Crew. We had fun and the youth appeared ready to take over training for next one in 6 months.

Crew did pumpkin carving, with a fire and s’mores last night for a change of pace and some fun

Troop wrapped up popcorn sales last night and did well

I head back to camp tomorrow to get ready for week 2 of Wood Badge, can’t wait to see all the Patrol projects

• 3 weeks later...

A member of the public collared me after the remembrance sunday parade, and it turned out her daughter had been in explorers about 10 years ago. They told me what a fantastic thing explorers was, how it really helped her daughter with her confidence, gave her another set of friends not from school, made her more outward looking, how the summer camps in Kandersteg and Spain had broadened her horizons and given her some amazing experiences. The spain trip even got a mention in a speech at her wedding (something about rather going on that than a family holiday).

Okay, so I wasn't involved in those trips or the unit she was in at the time. But it pure warmed the cockles of my heart. Turns out it's a good thing we do, and we do make a difference.

• Upvote 1