Need help getting 15 yr old to complete 2nd Class rank swim requirement

1. Jump feet first into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming..." The swimmer must be able to make an abrupt entry into deep water and begin swimming without any aids. Walking in from shallow water, easing in from the edge or down a ladder, pushing off from side or bottom, or gaining forward momentum by diving do not satisfy this requirement."

BSA, Safe Swim Defense (2017)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really think this is the best answer.  Swimming is a key to so so many outdoor activities.   When I think of my sons, I've seen one that muddled his way through on his own.  He passed the test but n

I think I can help you with a bit of practical advice.  Two bits of practical advice actually.   First:  Don't read more in to the requirement than is already there.  Just about every "problem" with

I would suggest that you encourage the youth (and parent) to start weekly swim lessons and continue them until he can confidently pass the Second and First Class Swim requirements.  Those classes coul

We had a few boys really struggle with this requirement. We had a Scoutmaster jump in at camp and swim along side the boys coaxing, coaching, and encouraging them the whole time. It took one boy (my son) three times to complete it but he did. He knew he was not going to drown because his leader was right next to him. So that is another method.

We had a few boys really struggle with this requirement. We had a Scoutmaster jump in at camp and swim along side the boys coaxing, coaching, and encouraging them the whole time. It took one boy (my son) three times to complete it but he did. He knew he was not going to drown because his leader was right next to him. So that is another method.

Shadowing a swimmer kinda pushes the boundary of "swim in a strong manner".

But, sometimes that bit of coaching enables the scout to later increase time in the swimmers' area, consequently increasing skill.

The camp swim test can be very intimidating for weak swimmers because the process goes fast trying to get hundreds of scouts finished by the end of the day. I have watch even good swimmers make themselves sick worrying about it. We learned to try and identify weak swimmers (and low confident swimmers) before summer camp and take them to a pool to help improve their skills and confidence before leaving for camp.

And nobody is more of cheer leader for scouts controlling their advancement, but swimming skills are required in so many of our troop activities that we really push hard for scouts to reach a confident level of skills so they aren't left out.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

We have a boy who is not disabled and can swim he just will not jump in over his head and do the swim test. Because of this, he is at Tenderfoot rank for about 2 yrs. We have tried a number of times to help him get over this fear but its not working.  Can he use a life jacket when he jumps in and/or face mask that covers his eyes and nose?  Like I said he CAN swim its just the jumping in that is the problem. 

CAN he use the life jacket?

From what I am understanding the boys problem with the swimming requirement is jumping into the water that is over his head. Once he is in the water he has no problem swimming.   Is the scouts fear of jumping into the water over his head an fear of his head going under water or only the jumping in part.

I would suggest that you encourage the youth (and parent) to start weekly swim lessons and continue them until he can confidently pass the Second and First Class Swim requirements.  Those classes could save his life.

I really think this is the best answer.  Swimming is a key to so so many outdoor activities.

When I think of my sons, I've seen one that muddled his way through on his own.  He passed the test but never became a strong swimmer until later.  It put him at risk for canoe and water activities.  

Another somehow passed, but never learned to swim.  Senior scouts signed him off without ever checking.  He already earned the rank by the time I learned. 

My youngest ones did not learn for a long time.  They were scared of putting their noses and ears underwater, or even getting their hair wet.  We just started going to the pool three times a week.  It took more than a month for them to put their noses under the water.  Then, another month to fully submerge their heads.  But now, they are strong swimmers and they are very comfortable.  They do somersaults underwater and cannonballs into the pool.

IMHO, the best way to pass the requirement is to invest the time in learning to swim.  Unless there is a real physical disability, it is well well worth investing a year of parental time, three times a week or more, helping your son learn how to swim.  Make it a fun time and time with your kid.  You won't regret the investment.  

Looking back, I'd even suggest troops should help kids get time in the pool.  Keep getting them into the pool as often as possible to keep increasing their comfort zones.  Eventually, they will get comfortable.  Swim lessons too.  A few select lessons go far.  

IMHO, the best way to pass the requirement is to invest time learning to swim.

As for "rank", I'm now more of the opinion that rank is less important.  IMHO, it's way more important to know how to swim than to earn Eagle.  Learn to swim and then get the next rank.  Unless there is a disability, there is no other path.  Find a way to make it fun and not stressful.  There is no rush.  Scouts have six years to earn the requirements and still have enough time to earn Eagle.
Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 4

We have a boy who is not disabled and can swim he just will not jump in over his head and do the swim test. Because of this, he is at Tenderfoot rank for about 2 yrs. We have tried a number of times to help him get over this fear but its not working.  Can he use a life jacket when he jumps in and/or face mask that covers his eyes and nose?  Like I said he CAN swim its just the jumping in that is the problem. 

CAN he use the life jacket?

Is the problem in natural water or pool or both?  We had a boy that would not jump into natural water (pond or lake), but we eventually got him to pass the swim test in a pool.  

One idea is to have him practice with life jacket or face mask, and then get him to do it at least once without it.

• Upvote 1

No, that technique doesn't meet the requirements. It is not an abrupt entry.

The purpose of the training is to prepare the scout to be able to save his life in a situation where he finds himself in an unplanned and abrupt entry into the water. 

A scissor kick entry is a very useful thing if you are a skilled swimmer and you need to do a rescue. It is not very useful technique for a novice swimmer who suddenly and unexpectedly falls in the water. Nor is it useful to a novice swimmer, swimming on the surface, who is pulled under water.

If a boy would resent adults for making him learn to swim, then he will probably already resent us for making him go to school, go to the doctor, go to the dentist, and a wide variety of other unforgivable offenses. This will be just one more thing for him to add to the list.

I disagree. I think a lifeguard entry is jumping feet first into water over the head, and that it is an abrupt entry into deep water.  It is not walking in from shallow water, not easing in, not coming down a ladder, and not pushing off from bottom or gaining forward momentum by diving.  It meets the requirement, IMHO.  That said, having done the lifeguard entry, it's much harder than a conventional entry, and I really doubt a scared swimmer could accomplish it.

1. Jump feet first into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming..." The swimmer must be able to make an abrupt entry into deep water and begin swimming without any aids. Walking in from shallow water, easing in from the edge or down a ladder, pushing off from side or bottom, or gaining forward momentum by diving do not satisfy this requirement."

BSA, Safe Swim Defense (2017)

We put my son in several years of swim lessons.  He's autistic and couldn't take the feel of water running down his face, in his nose or eyes.  We started from just standing in the pool splashing.  In the end he became a strong and confident enough swimmer to pass his swim tests every year.  Still uses nose plugs and goggles as accommodation.

If he really can swim well and it's just the jumping in part, maybe start with jumping in shallower water and move up.  

Edited by walk in the woods

My mother had this problem of jumping into the water, too.  She could swim in water over her head using the side-stroke only.  Technically she was not a swimmer, but would go out to the middle of the lake on the diving platform where everyone else was anyway.

This is how it goes. 

Close your eyes before attempting each step.

Hold arms straight out to the side, palms down, and when you hit the water, paddle them downward to minimize the depth.

1) sit on the top rung of the ladder and then slip into the water.

2) sit on the dock and then slip into the water.

3) sit on a life jacket on the dock and then slip into the water.

4) squat on the dock and then slip into the water.

5) crouch on the dock and then step off the dock into the water.

6) stand up straight, bend the knees and then step off the dock into the water.

7) stand up straight, then step off the dock into the water.

Master each step before moving on to the next one.

If one does well with the "step off the dock"  legs will be ready for a scissors kick and with the extended arms paddling downward, the boy should just about enter the water without getting his face/head much under the water.  From there a simple side stroke should suffice for the rest of the test, a float at the end and you're done.  Too many boys think it's a race...it's not.  There is no time limit to the test.

Maybe you can't use a face mask, but my method is even more effective.  I close my eyes, hold my breath, plug my nose, and then jump in.  No water gets in my eyes, nose, or mouth, and I just hold my breath until I bob up to the surface and start swimming.  It doesn't look very stylish, but it meets the requirement.  (I'm usually tempted to make some un-scoutlike comment about the water temperature, but I usually manage to avoid that.)

For a scout who is afraid of jumping in, I would recommend practicing this first while standing in the shallow end, and perhaps making a couple of practice jumps into water not quite over his head.

Or, if he's willing to do it with a mask, then maybe practice a few times with a mask, and then showing him that pinching your nose with your fingers works even better than the mask.

Edited by clemlaw

During WW II the sailors were taught to jump into the water with the heel of the hand below the chin and fingers over the nose.  Works when getting off the sinking boat from 40'-50' above the water.  Of course debris and burning oil were lesson #2.

Maybe you can't use a face mask ...

Who says you can't use a face mask ?  I'm very much for learning how to swim, but there is flexibility.  IMHO, I think it's perfectly reasonable to allow a face mask.  IMHO, it's a similar allowance to allowing someone to pass the swimming test in a indoor heated clean pool.  Otherwise, it would be best to test swimming ability in murky green stagnant lake water with small fish nibbling at your leg hair on a cold windy day.  If we allow clean indoor pool water, I see the facemask as a minor accommodation.