Can non-Webelos Cub Scouts wear a den patch?

The title just about says it. I'd like to know if it goes against uniform regulation to have our dens (Tigers through Webelos) all choose patrol patches and name themselves. My read of the regulations is that this is not substantially different from one of the camporee patches. Ideally, this would be a little more permanent, however. 

It seems like it would be something that all of the scouts will be excited about.

Non-Webelos are supposed to wear the den number patch.  I think there is some logic to this though I am not exactly sure what it is.  Maybe something like, "autonomy" (such as picking your own patrol name) is something that should be introduced gradually.  Or maybe to put it another way, if we're going to ask the boys to come up with a good patrol name, ages 9 or 10 is a better time to do that than ages 5 or 6.  It all goes along with the idea that Webelos is supposed to be transition from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.

Correct, the Patrol Method is one of the hallmarks of the Boy Scouting program. The time in Webelos is designed to transition Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and get the Scouts and their family ready as well. As such, Webelos dens may choose to use the khaki uniforms and wear accompanying patrol insignia.

At this time, Cub Scout dens should wear their den number patches unless they're Webelos and their den chooses to wear the khaki uniforms.

That being said, there's nothing explicitly prohibiting something like @@Tampa Turtle's idea.

Correct, the Patrol Method is one of the hallmarks of the Boy Scouting program. The time in Webelos is designed to transition Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and get the Scouts and their family ready as well. As such, Webelos dens may choose to use the khaki uniforms and wear accompanying patrol insignia.

At this time, Cub Scout dens should wear their den number patches unless they're Webelos and their den chooses to wear the khaki uniforms.

That being said, there's nothing explicitly prohibiting something like @@Tampa Turtle's idea.

Our Cubmaster of 25 years wanted each Den to yell their cheer whenever their name was mentioned. We usually had 8 to 15 dens so it could get chaotic--some would wave their little table flags as well. While some parents thought it was a little rowdy it got the lads to pay attention to the adults speaking because at the very least they would have a chance to yell.