69RoadRunner

Anyone Do the Philmont PSR-PASS Adult Orientation

My motto is, you're only young once, but you can always be immature.

I think I resemble that as well!

Edited by desertrat77

It really is!  So much has changed since I was a youth.  I've been trying to get back for decades but work and family commitments did not permit.  Then, lo and behold, events lined up and I found myself as part of a 2018 contingent, and my work scheduled allowed me to attend PSR-PASS.  

A good rule of thumb that applied to me:  if the last time you camped at Philmont, the standard was to cook all of your meals on fire, you'll learn a lot at PSR-PASS.  :)

My crew photo was in black & white. Cooked on a wood fire. Pot bottoms coated with Ajax cleanser for easy cleanup. Baker tents with no floors or screens.  :blink:

• Upvote 1

My crew photo was in black & white. Cooked on a wood fire. Pot bottoms coated with Ajax cleanser for easy cleanup. Baker tents with no floors or screens.  :blink:

Schiff,

Baker tents--wow!  That is certainly "back in the day."  Those weren't very light either, if memory serves.  We were issued well-designed nylon red tents, each with a separate fly that could be used by itself on warm nights.

BW crew photo and wood fire:  check and check.

Ajax:  we used tetrox, which was applied in the same manner.  We were warned about the gastrointestinal danger of even a little bit getting into the food. 

Edited by desertrat77

Schiff,

Baker tents--wow!  That is certainly "back in the day."  Those weren't very light either, if memory serves.  We were issued well-designed nylon red tents, each with a separate fly that could be used by itself on warm nights.

BW crew photo and wood fire:  check and check.

Ajax:  we used tetrox, which was applied in the same manner.  We were warned about the gastrointestinal danger of even a little bit getting into the food. 

Yeah they were heavy, but then I think everything we carried was heavy by today's standard. It was also cheaper yet sufficient, well assuming you can "cheerfully" accept blisters. :)

Edited by RememberSchiff