Mythical Monsters and Ghosts in the Woods

I read an article about the Mongollon Monster which has been reported for years in Colorado and Arizona.  There was an interesting quote  from a scout leader Don Davis.

Don Davis, who believed he encountered the Mogollon Monster on a Boy Scouts camping trip around 1944 near Payson, Arizona, studied sightings and tales of terrifying creatures of all varieties. Known as a cryptozoologist, a person who evaluates scientific evidence for mythical creatures such as Bigfoot, the chupacabra and the Loch Ness Monster, Davis recounted his tale.

“The creature was huge. Its eyes were deep set and hard to see, but they seemed expressionless. His face seemed pretty much devoid of hair, but there seemed to be hair along the sides of his face. His chest, shoulders, and arms were massive, especially the upper arms; easily upwards of 6 inches in diameter, perhaps much, much more. I could see he was pretty hairy, but didn’t observe really how thick the body hair was. The face/head was very square; square sides and squared up chin, like a box.â€

What mythical monsters and ghosts are in your woods?

Growing up in South Jersey, we scouts were always on the lookout for a monster called the Jersey Devil. But it was not mythical, I saw it.

Happy Halloween

Growing up in South Jersey, we scouts were always on the lookout for a monster called the Jersey Devil. But it was not mythical, I saw it.

Did it look like any of these? http://weirdnj.com/stories/jersey-devil/

I like the one that looks like kind of a cross between a dragon and a camel.

I have never lived in the Pinelands so I have never seen him in person.

Edited by NJCubScouter

I know a guy who knows a guy (see how that works) that had an encounter with the Mogollon Monster, at a scout camp nonetheless. I wish I remembered the story better, but it basically goes like this:

He was on staff at Camp Geronimo, which is right on the Mogollon Rim. He and a buddy were out hiking and found two weird bone-like objects as they were returning to camp. They picked them up and were examining them when they heard a growl or a yell several yards away. They saw a dark hairy hominid and bolted, carrying the objects with them.

For the next few nights, they would hear noises of something scuffling around their cabin but didn't see anything. One day, the bones disappeared from their cabin (which they never locked) and they never heard or saw anything again.

As for myself, all I've ever found was a muddy, large footprint running across the trail up Mt. Baldy. Unfortunately, no one had a camera (it was the 90s).

And here's one that isn't mythical: http://arizonaoddities.com/2010/03/the-legend-of-red-ghost/

Edited by Saltface

Did it look like any of these? http://weirdnj.com/stories/jersey-devil/

I like the one that looks like kind of a cross between a dragon and a camel.

I have never lived in the Pinelands so I have never seen him in person.

From a distance, it had the body shape and red eyes of a Great Horned Owl. But it has much taller than an owl, it also had two arms. Its features beyond that, I didn't stick around to find out.

Happy Halloween...

We had a ghost troop at the camp I worked at, typically only heard it on weekends.  We were doing the basic movement of tents, etc on a Saturday.  We heard a troop swimming etc at the waterfront, walked down there, nothing.  Many of us heard it over the years.  You never saw anything, just voices, splashing, etc.

On another note there was the the ghosts of dining hall pizza that came around later in the evenings after it was served, but that is another whole tale.

There were stories about a beastly creature roaming the woods of Camp Belzer (Crossroads of America Council-Indianapolis)

It seems to have morphed into a rather friendly, welcoming fellow for all of the cub scouts who attend day camp there!

39915_143226442363411_562925_n.jpg?oh=11

I remember once hearing a Scout trying to convince a brand-new Scout on a camping trip that there were alligators in the lake.  The older Scout's mistake was that the younger Scout's father was within earshot.  (That would be me.)

(I realize that in a much more Southerly state, there might have been alligators in the lake, but despite the rumors in the 60s and 70s that there were alligators in the New York City sewer system, in New Jersey there are no alligators in the lake.)

Edited by NJCubScouter