Would you ask an Eagle candidate at his BoR what he thinks about the membership change?

I sit on my district's advancement committee.  Typically the "hard" questions that I like to ask are to determine how the scout feels about various aspects of the scouting program or changes to the program.  However, this issue is controversial enough, that maybe it wouldn't be good to bring it up at a board of review.  Any thoughts?

I would not ask that type of question as it does not provide any information about the program. And more importantly as Brian points out what response is "acceptable, or even informative.

A real question about the program would be, "What aspect, or experience in your scouting journey was the most influential to your personal growth and why?"

• Upvote 1

That’s still opinion based though, if they don’t agree, they can’t just say “I won’t†because they know it will affect them.

If I'm a Commisioner wondering who might be willing to help the folks who've been talking to me about their daughters, newly minted Eagles would be my first ask. Your frank answer to such a question would be welcome.

Rest assured, in one way or another, you will be asked how you expect to contribute to scouting in the future.

But relax, there are no wrong answers.

Let me be very clear. The wrong answer is the one you say because you think that's what people want to hear. Any scouter would welcome a reply like "Respectfully, sirs/madams, I would rather put my support behind an all-boys program if time allows."

Yes, the BoR will ask some opinions. Scouter's need to know what their youth are thinking. They often have opportunities for specific youth ... if they know who those youth are. Asking how a scout would like to contribute is one way to find out.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

I don't plan to ask about it at EBOR's (or any other BOR's), at least not until there is a specific program in place at the Boy Scout-age level to ask about.  I suppose it is probably a legitimate question for someone else who chooses to ask it, as long as there is no "wrong" answer.  I think there are very few questions the answer to which has the potential to endanger the Scout's ability to make Eagle (or any rank), and this is not one of them.

Edited by NJCubScouter

A scout is brave.

An aspiring Eagle must be able to articulate his thoughts, even on controversial topics.

My ebor was in 1977. It was a grilling, good and proper. I'll never forget it and will always respect the board members. Great prep for the future.

My older son got the proverbial 'which of the Scout law would you drop'. The BOR lead told me it was refreshing since most boys say 'I can't pick one' and my son (the bible thumper) said 'Kind' because he would pick being Reverent over Kind  if it mean't saving the soul of an unbeliever. The interview kicked into a higher gear when he was asked if extremism such as ISIS condemns a religion like Islam. My son then started quoting parts of the Koran (which I had no idea he knew) in Arabic in illustrating his position. 

• Upvote 1

No.  This is a Board of Review - key word here is REVIEW.  You are reviewing the Scout's Scouting career - his path to Eagle.  This issue has nothing to do with his path to Eagle.  If you want to ask in conversation after the BOR - once the BOR has made their decision, that would be ok - but not in the BOR where his answer may trigger a negative response from someone sitting on his board who decides to fail him based on his opinion. 

This is still a political issue in a lot of ways - and that does not belong in a BOR.

• Upvote 1

I have no issues with the question. I was asked about the last election. I gave my answer and I could see a few of the people on the board want to try to change my mind but they simply accepted my answer and moved on. If we only throw soft pitches at our scouts you end up with kids who don’t know how to hit a curve ball. I’ve never understood how some parents can insist on their scouts taking the easy path when it comes to scouting, yet insist their kid go outside and practice their sports skills until their feet bleed. There’s nothing wrong with asking a tough question. It’s how the person asking the question responds to the answer that’s important.