Scouts Retaining Information

Is that a BSA requirement?

Not that I know of, but why would you teach them and let them demonstrate it the same meeting then sign off? They’ll just forget it within the next week. It makes them practice, and to remember it. But, it still follows the EDGE.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a middle school teacher. Welcome to my world.

If they want to advance in Boy Scouts, they kind of have to.

My troop is extremely strict on if you learn it that week, you can not get it signed off for 1-2 meetings so it helps you remember it.

I've been assuming these are trail to first class skills (e.g., two half-hitches).

All that is to say, don't give up on these scouts. Expect more. Challenge them to use the handbook as a reference. If that's not working for them, find them a knot guide, draw a diagram on their arm, or find them different color rope to practice with. And if they are still having trouble, keep challenging them to try, and try, and try ... and let them know that even if the don't master it by the time they turn 18, this nation needs them to keep trying!

I plan on it! I use scout skills in my daily lives, and they should know how to as well.

Not that I know of, but why would you teach them and let them demonstrate it the same meeting then sign off? They’ll just forget it within the next week. It makes them practice, and to remember it. But, it still follows the EDGE.

This is the problem I have with "Instruction for Advancement."

If Scout learns so they can get a check or signature next to a requirement on a page in a book, they will not retain it.

Learning Scouting skills should be done in context. A scout learning a taut-line hitch so he can set up his tent or dinning fly properly, build camp gadgets etc., will be much more likely to retain that knowledge.

Asked a Scout today, “What is the abilities of pikachu and all of its forms�

Listed every single one.

But, asked, “How do you tie two half hitches�

Not a clue. Has been taught many many times, and has done it many times.

The newer scouts (freshman in highschool and below) are just not retaining anything and using their head for useless facts...

Does your troop ever do things that require half-hitches?  Without a reason to know them, most people forget knots.  (or in the terms of the EDGE method, does your Troop Enable them to use the knot).  Also, your head has almost infinite room for facts.  The simple thing is the Scouts have no reason to remember the knots.  Do you every have knot competitions?  We once had a meeting that the Scouts could only enter the Scout Hut when they showed us a particular knot (based on Rank advancement, if it was a knot they should know based on rank, we only let them in if they could do a knot for their rank.  We did allow retests, and allowed the boys to show each other outside the Scout Hut.).    

I’m not saying it’s just now a issue, but I find Scouts are more immature than they use to be. If you compare this years sophomores and freshman in high school, you can see the immaturity level was is different, and how the sophomores acted last year (my grade) as freshman is complete different.

Every older Scout I've met has said that about younger Scouts in their Troop.  

It's just common sense.  As an ASM, I don't sign off knots the same meeting that they are taught.  

This goes back to my comment of teaching in context. If a scout is being taught how to set up a tarp or secure a load using 2HH, then there really is no need to sign of at that time. By the time the Scout wants to get sign off he has tied they knot a dozen or more times. When he comes for sign off he can usually do the knot, he may need some prodding, like "remember that knot you used to set up the tarp." But they usually remember, even if they have to think about it for a moment.

• Upvote 1