How do you choose which leaders/adults go to camp?

Right now we have almost a 2:1 ratio of scouts to adults wanting to go. 

That's way too much.  It subverts the whole premise of how scouts works.  Our best summer camps have been when our adult ratio is 1:10 or 1:15.  The camp requirement was 2 adults.  

Another way to solve this is to get a 2nd camp site at the camp significantly away from the scouts.  Say three minute walk or at least 600 feet away.  All adults camp there except top two lead adults.  

That's way too much.  It subverts the whole premise of how scouts works.  Our best summer camps have been when our adult ratio is 1:10 or 1:15.  The camp requirement was 2 adults.  

Another way to solve this is to get a 2nd camp site at the camp significantly away from the scouts.  Say three minute walk or at least 600 feet away.  All adults camp there except top two lead adults.  

Agreed.  Last year it worked since we sent a majority of them to go get training or help staff sessions and there was 3 of us that didn't and handled logistics and problems during the day.  There were definite logistics that we had to handle that the boys couldn't handle so I am glad I was able to do that.

this years summer camp we have 6 leaders and 20 scouts, worked well, because we camped in state, only 40 mins away from home.  I myself had to duck out for a day to write the schedule for work, the Scoutmaster had to leave for a day, and another assistant left 3-4 times throughout the week.  Myself and 2 other leaders took SM/ASM Training the first 3 days, and it still left 2 leaders at all times available to the boys.

We had enough Boys for their free extra leaders, and split the cost for the extra 2 between the 6 of us. 

With the new requirements, it will limit only regisitered leaders with YPT to attend, which all of our 6 are.

Edited by scotteg83

I like Tampa Turtle's list. 

Note for the adults eager to "go to camp"....   It is BOY Scout Camp, not MAN Scout Camp.  Female adults?  Them too.

I am sure there is a volunteer program for the Scout Camp. TAt the NCAC camp Goshen , there are the Goshen GOATS.   Put the extra adults on to this, I know the camp can use extra hands for projects and supervision, IF they have had the necessary training and registration.   Adult registration? Dues paid?  YP? SMS? IOLS? Back Country First Aid?  Powder Horn?   Put those Adults to work on behalf of the Scouts !   It is NOT a vacation, yes? 

I like Tampa Turtle's list. 

Note for the adults eager to "go to camp"....   It is BOY Scout Camp, not MAN Scout Camp.  Female adults?  Them too.

I am sure there is a volunteer program for the Scout Camp. TAt the NCAC camp Goshen , there are the Goshen GOATS.   Put the extra adults on to this, I know the camp can use extra hands for projects and supervision, IF they have had the necessary training and registration.   Adult registration? Dues paid?  YP? SMS? IOLS? Back Country First Aid?  Powder Horn?   Put those Adults to work on behalf of the Scouts !   It is NOT a vacation, yes? 

All adults going would be registered leaders with YPT.  Yes Tampa's list is pretty good.