How do you choose which leaders/adults go to camp?

We have more adults that want to go to camp than spots available.  How do you choose?

• Camps with the troop regularly
  • Can pull the trailer
  • Has a specific task for the troop at camp
  • Specific medical need for camp (e.g. diabetic monitoring)

Hmmm...good questions.   Unless it's a high adventure type of thing we wouldn't limit parents who want to go.  If your troop usually pays the camp fees for adults, maybe put a limit on that...make it only for parents who are active the rest of the year.  If you're worried about "helicopters," make them sign up for adult training (IOLS or something).

If it's really a space/numbers issue, take the registered leaders (SM/ASM's) that you need to get there and back, and then maybe base the rest of who's been active with the troop (driving to other campouts, etc.).

Remember starting next summer all adults attending will have to registered, with background check and YPT completed.

Usually for us it's an issue for high adventure trips. So, we give first priority to those that help out the most during the year. Summer camp would be a bit different as it's a good way to get new parents involved, excited about the program.

The problems are that we have limited space for transportation, and the boys don't need 1 adult per 2 boys.  Even the best intentioned parents are still a distraction for the boys, we are a necessary evil at camp IMHO.  

I like the addition of saying they have taken IOLS or Woodbadge.

Ah, I see where you're coming from.  We've had a bit of that issue too.  What I meant was that if you have "extra" adults around make them sign up for some sort of adult training at camp, so they'll be out of the way.  If you keep them busy for a few days, and they see the boys are ok on their own.

But that could also work, who ever's the best trained gets to go.

If it's a transportation issue, you can take the adults required to get t here.  Tell other that want to go, they are welcome, but they're responsible for their own camp fee and transportation.

It's a balance...that dad of the crossover that wants to go to camp with his son may be your next great Scouter.  So you don't want to discourage.  But, on the other hand, he may be a helicopter...

In our troop only registered leaders go on campouts.  SM and several ASMs.  With the new rules, I would assume all adults staying for summer camp are registered leaders.  We've never had a problem with too many volunteers.  Seems like you've already identified the critical needs.

The summer camp we go to currently gives us two free leaders.  We get another free leader for FOS participation.  We budget for a fourth leader.  If more than that go, the cost gets split between them but this need is based on our current number of boys and drivers.  It is also expected that they will participate in some sort of training if needed/available.  Do the adults in your troop pay for their own attendance at summer camp?  If not, perhaps charging the adults something and having the troop pay less would change the minds of a few of the less motivated scouters.  Notify everyone that they are expected to take training if available. 

If any adults are new scouters or have never been to summer camp, it would seem like a good idea to have one or more of them go so that they can get their feet wet while accompanied by other experienced scouters.  That way some of the noobs can at least know what summer camp is like if they are needed in the future.  Some of our adults in the past really had no idea how summer camp worked.  The camp we go to has had some great training too.  If someone that's not critical has already been to summer camp three times, give someone new  a chance.  

Does your summer camp attempt to recruit attending adults for counselor positions?  If so, is there any advantage to a troop for an adult volunteering as a counselor while they are there?  Maybe it would be to the troop's benefit if some of the adults going will also be counselor's.  Our camp has done this in the past but I can't remember if there was any kind of incentive.

you guys are already talking about summer camp and it's only oct?  I wish our troop was that organized.  we'll be talking about summer camp in May. :(   

Ah, I see where you're coming from.  We've had a bit of that issue too.  What I meant was that if you have "extra" adults around make them sign up for some sort of adult training at camp, so they'll be out of the way.  If you keep them busy for a few days, and they see the boys are ok on their own.

But that could also work, who ever's the best trained gets to go.

If it's a transportation issue, you can take the adults required to get t here.  Tell other that want to go, they are welcome, but they're responsible for their own camp fee and transportation.

It's a balance...that dad of the crossover that wants to go to camp with his son may be your next great Scouter.  So you don't want to discourage.  But, on the other hand, he may be a helicopter...

I was thinking that maybe extra adults volunteer to help the camp staff at stations, kitchen, or something helpful to the camp.  Right now we have almost a 2:1 ratio of scouts to adults wanting to go.  That seems like a lot to me.

In our troop only registered leaders go on campouts.  SM and several ASMs.  With the new rules, I would assume all adults staying for summer camp are registered leaders.  We've never had a problem with too many volunteers.  Seems like you've already identified the critical needs.

The summer camp we go to currently gives us two free leaders.  We get another free leader for FOS participation.  We budget for a fourth leader.  If more than that go, the cost gets split between them but this need is based on our current number of boys and drivers.  It is also expected that they will participate in some sort of training if needed/available.  Do the adults in your troop pay for their own attendance at summer camp?  If not, perhaps charging the adults something and having the troop pay less would change the minds of a few of the less motivated scouters.  Notify everyone that they are expected to take training if available. 

If any adults are new scouters or have never been to summer camp, it would seem like a good idea to have one or more of them go so that they can get their feet wet while accompanied by other experienced scouters.  That way some of the noobs can at least know what summer camp is like if they are needed in the future.  Some of our adults in the past really had no idea how summer camp worked.  The camp we go to has had some great training too.  If someone that's not critical has already been to summer camp three times, give someone new  a chance.  

Does your summer camp attempt to recruit attending adults for counselor positions?  If so, is there any advantage to a troop for an adult volunteering as a counselor while they are there?  Maybe it would be to the troop's benefit if some of the adults going will also be counselor's.  Our camp has done this in the past but I can't remember if there was any kind of incentive.

you guys are already talking about summer camp and it's only oct?  I wish our troop was that organized.  we'll be talking about summer camp in May. :(   

Yep, we are registered for a camp that is a day and a half away from home.  We are lucky, we have a lot of registered leaders which is a great problem to have.  Parents pay their own way for summer camp.

waiting until May?  That seems so late to me.

I was thinking that maybe extra adults volunteer to help the camp staff at stations, kitchen, or something helpful to the camp.  Right now we have almost a 2:1 ratio of scouts to adults wanting to go.  That seems like a lot to me.

Yeah, we'll probably have about 2.5:1 ratio (20 to 8 or so, +/-).  I think it really depends on the adults you get.  If its ones that want to helicopter over their kids its a problem.  But, there's adults that just like to camp.  For them, just find something to do.  We usually set it up to so that an a couple of adults hang around the campsite for the day, but for the the others, set them up for training sessions, service projects, may be lead a hike or something, ask the camp staff where they can help out.  And, be sure that all adults attending summer camp are current on their "Nap on Safely" training.

Training: The better trained moves to the "top of the list." This varies with the activity. Aquatics would bump me up. Shooting sports, down.

Most folks self-select. So, this hasn't really been a problem.

We have had off and on policies. Mainly we have:

(1) Must have gone on at least two campouts.

(2) Need to get a 'brownshirt'.

(3) Understand it is not a vacation--they will need to find or be assigned a job.

(4) Have a role in herding the boys to camp (towing, driving, whatever)

(5) We may require a parent to attend camp for a 'problem' child on probation. 

(6) Reinforce the boy-led patrol method.

(7) Not complain about camp conditions (too much)

(8) Strongly encouraged to take training classes if offered.