Best way to replace SPL mid-term?

Go to solution Solved by ScoutTrainer,

Our troop has been presented with a unique situation (to us) and we are seeking advice from others that have surely encountered similar situations.

Our SPL was recently pulled from the Troop by his parents.  They are adamant that he won't be returning to Scouting until these other issues are resolved (if they are at all).  In summary, he made a couple of very poor choices and unfortunately is in some pretty serious trouble.  

We hold elections every six months.  Elections aren't due for four more months.  All of the Scouts recently elected are just settling in to their new roles.  We've asked the ASPL if he'd like to step into the SPL position, however, he doesn't feel "ready" for that yet.  He's young, nervous and not ready for that responsibility.

So, what is the best route to take to fill that SPL role?  Should we hold an interim election or should the SM and Committee appoint someone to fill in the rest of the term?

Any advice or suggestions is most appreciated.

My sympathies to the family. Whatever it is must be profoundly discouraging.

How many patrols do you have? If just three, encourage the ASPL to step up, but ask the PLs to share some of his responsibilities. Still, allow him to say know if he's certain this was not what he signed up for. More patrols than three? I can see why it might intimidate a young scout.

The ASPL should step up at least for that week and ask the boys to help him choose a new SPL. Hold interim elections.

Do not let the SM and Committee appoint someone. They may however ask certain boys if they would run again.

This is the boy's problem to solve.

• Upvote 1

Typically, the ASPL steps in to the role.  If the ASPL does not want to do it, I would hold a special election for any boys that are interested (did you have a field of candidates last time?).  The one thing I would not do at all is have the Scoutmaster/Committee appoint someone - that is not their job, or their responsibility. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you all.  We were leaning to a special election, sometimes you just need to hear it reaffirmed.  

qwazse - We currently have four patrols which includes two patrols of brand new boy scouts.  About half of the two new patrols came over from Cub Scouts and the others are completely new to Scouting.  Th

deanofmac - The ASPL is adamant that he doesn't want the SPL position.  He really doesn't seem to have wanted the ASPL position either.  The SM and other Patrol Leaders have gently talked to him, offering support and encouragement.  He's pretty assertive with his "no".  

CalicoPenn - The field of candidates was pretty narrow and most of those Scouts are now in other roles like Scribe, Librarian, QM, etc.  The vast majority of Scouts in our troop that are not currently in a leadership role are the new Scouts (most are still working on Scout Rank).  Election time fell right before "school round up" night this year.

Scouts, no matter how much trouble I got in to in school or wherever else, it is the one thing my mother would never punish me from.

Exactly!  And through all of this, he's been in a lot of trouble, spent many hours counselling with our SM along with the parents.  The SM tried to encourage that Scouting was a very positive item in all of the negativity surrounding this.  However, at the end, due to some extenuating circumstances, it became apparent that pulling him out (for now at least) is best.  It's a very sad situation.

The field of candidates was pretty narrow and most of those Scouts are now in other roles like Scribe, Librarian, QM, etc.  The vast majority of Scouts in our troop that are not currently in a leadership role are the new Scouts (most are still working on Scout Rank).  Election time fell right before "school round up" night this year.

I guess you have to ask - what is more important, a Librarian of a Senior Patrol Leader.  If the QM, Scribe or Librarian is elected, they can always appoint someone to their old position.