Co-ed scouting overseas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My group in the UK isn't part of the Scout Association (the one you've heard of), we're in the Baden-Powell Scout Association. Some of you may recognise the initials BPSA. Our program is here: https:/

I'd like to create a thread for the purpose of American Scouters asking questions to our foreign friends here. @@Cambridgeskip and others?    Please keep in mind that the current changes do not make

@@RememberSchiff, I am not 100% certain how to answer on the basis of mixing boys and girls, but we require that our Beavers (who are max 8 years old, and some of whom have not yet turned 6) are broug

'Sixers' and 'Seconders'??? Huh?

In a Cub pack (aged 8-10 in the UK), of, say, 30 kids, they are split into "sixes", usually with, hey, around six kids in them. The "sixer" is the "patrol leader", and the "seconder" the assistant patrol leader". I'm not sure in reality how much power and authority they wield, it will certainly vary from pack to pack.

https://members.scouts.org.uk/factsheets/FS170056.pdf

Ian

'Sixers' and 'Seconders'??? Huh?

Equivalent of PLs and APLs in Cubs!

We don't have dens in cubs in the UK. Instead (and actually I think most of the world?) we run a pack with typically 15-30 cubs at any one time which is divided into Sixes. As the name implies these are groups of typically 6 cubs across the cub age range (8-10.5) with each one having a sixer (PL equivalent) and a seconder (APL equivalent). A beaver Colony (6-8 year olds) will also typically, but not always, be divided into lodges with a Lodge Leader for each one. Of course at that age they don't have the same responsibilities as PLs but do things like buddy new cubs, break the flag, feed back from their sixes to leaders on program, look after their six box. That kind of thing. A six will typically sleep in the same tent on camp, one of our traditional heavy green canvas patrol tents.

I would like to thank y'all foreigners for discussing the mechanics of making these mixed gender potentialities work. It will benefit those who have to deal with the program changes--probably better than what BSA will come up with.

You shouldn't make any program changes. Do what you do, and if the girls like it, fine. Don't become something you're not because someone in head office tells you to.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

To be fair, a SM buddy was telling me of a problem he was having with an older gay boy scout who was hitting on a younger lad at a camp out. He was rebuffed and retaliated by stripping the boy of POR duties. Stalking etc followed (and things went down hill from there, police, counselors, etc, etc). So even Boys only issues of sexual misconduct do occur and have to be dealt with. I think rules will need to be tweaked...especially the first few years.

I do think the social dynamic will change. When Camp Woodruff started using Venture girls in the camp store our boys (of all ages) seemed to visit the stores a lot more than previously. 

The TPG's (Trading Post Girls) are all part of the marketing plan...a plan to extract as much cash from campers as possible