Family Scouting Survey Results

Appreciate folks opinions positions on this but I think we all know the realities surrounding this......

1.....BSA already had made a firm decision a while back, the survey and whatever criptic communication on "family Scouting" they but out was simply window dressing to attempt to appease people and give the appearance that they wanted input from the membership before the decision was made. This makes the value of any survey moot in the end anyway.

2.....BSA won't release details of the survey but any info they do provide is likely cooked to support the decision already made by national some time ago. Some will say I am not trusting in national and maybe that's not scout like but this is what national gets for the manner in which they have operated in recent years. They have worked for and earned distrust from the units and volunteers, most of us didn't just fall off a turnip truck.

3.....There where plenty of posts and threads regarding he survey, the use of the term family friendly and the like. Most saw right through that, others tried to back up BSA and blame others for over speculating. And why did people speculate....because National has shown to anyone with a pulse that what they say and what they do are usually 2 different things which destroys peoples trust. Looks like the speculation gang on family camping being code for coed were correct. I am not surprised as it sounded like they wanted to start to roll in girls in 2018 so the announcement had to come in October/November time frame.

Don't worry too long about the survey or opinions you would have given, BSA doesn't really care, they just want anyone who still believes them to think they care. They will keep plundering along with poorly made plans, decisions and implementations or do what they want and only try to look like they are including the volunteers. Pretty poor example of leadership if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

@@hicountry

I thoroughly agree that National made their decision quite some time ago. As evidence, I submit the cover of the latest Scouting Magazine.

I just wanted to verify that I wasn't part of some minority that got overlooked in the surveying before I start ranting about it on social media.

Appreciate folks opinions positions on this but I think we all know the realities surrounding this......

1.....BSA already had made a firm decision a while back, the survey and whatever criptic communication on "family Scouting" they but out was simply window dressing to attempt to appease people and give the appearance that they wanted input from the membership before the decision was made. This makes the value of any survey moot in the end anyway.

2.....BSA won't release details of the survey but any info they do provide is likely cooked to support the decision already made by national some time ago. Some will say I am not trusting in national and maybe that's not scout like but this is what national gets for the manner in which they have operated in recent years. They have worked for and earned distrust from the units and volunteers, most of us didn't just fall off a turnip truck.

3.....There where plenty of posts and threads regarding he survey, the use of the term family friendly and the like. Most saw right through that, others tried to back up BSA and blame others for over speculating. And why did people speculate....because National has shown to anyone with a pulse that what they say and what they do are usually 2 different things which destroys peoples trust. Looks like the speculation gang on family camping being code for coed were correct. I am not surprised as it sounded like they wanted to start to roll in girls in 2018 so the announcement had to come in October/November time frame.

Don't worry too long about the survey or opinions you would have given, BSA doesn't really care, they just want anyone who still believes them to think they care. They will keep plundering along with poorly made plans, decisions and implementations or do what they want and only try to look like they are including the volunteers. Pretty poor example of leadership if you ask me.

You have summarized the situation perfectly in our council as well.

My wife attended our council meeting (I could not attend because I was involved in a different Scouting meeting at the same day/time). She reported that discussion was centered on leading statements to force agreement with their desired result. A survey followed with oddly-worded questions that also forced agreement with their preset agenda. Curious note: If you didn't attend the council meeting, you didn't get the survey either. Most long-time Scouters were completely bypassed for any feedback. It was clear they were only seeking a pretext of validation for their predetermined outcome. Even before Wednesday's announcement, I became very distrustful of BSA leaders on this topic because of the disingenuous process they followed at the council level.

Has anyone looked at the current membership applications with the print code of 717 for July 2017?

They changed the wording  regarding memerbship in Cub packs and Boy Scout troops. Instead of "Boys" the words "Youth" and "Children" are used.

Plus Lions is fully incorporated into Cub Scouts accorind to the app.

Yes, this decision was made a while back.

The only action that I see national doing differently as a result of those family scouting polls: the press-releases use "welcome girls" instead of that abominable "Family Scouting" doublespeak.

Really, the best most of us can do, in whatever organization we're in, is demand plain spoken executives.

What is the rest of the announcement?!?

I've seen at least one, Middle Tennessee (on Facebook) that stated that they will not help in this change but will not oppose COs and their own decisions.

Boy Scouts of America Announces Expansion of Scouting Programs to Allow Girls

To: North Florida Council, BSA Scouting Community

Fr: Jack Sears, Scout Executive/CEO

Dt: October 12, 2017

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America voted to expand Scouting Programs to allow Girls. The North Florida Council Executive Board, Staff and National Council Representatives were given no advance notice that this would be an agenda item for resolution at the National Executive Board meeting. In fact, I learned of the outcome of the decision just as everyone else did via news sources outside of the BSA.

The official statement from the Boy Scouts of America is provided below. I have not been provided any information beyond what I am forwarding to you at this time. As soon as I learn more about the operational processes that follows this action I will share with you.

The North Florida Council, BSA Executive Committee (Officers), are meeting next Tuesday. Any input that you would like for me to share with the Officers regarding this decision will be shared with our Officers and we will be sure to pass along to the National Council of the BSA.

As I read the statement, Cub Scout Packs through their Chartered Organizations will be given the discretion to expand the Cub Scout program to girls at some point in 2018. Further, a program that uses the same curriculum as the Boy Scout program for girls will be announced sometime during 2018 as well; however, will not be available until 2019.

While these are great days of historic change for the Boy Scouts of America the Scout Oath and Law remains unchanged as it has for over 106 years.

As more information becomes available, I will share. Thanks for your continued interest and support.

National BSA Statement Regarding the Expansion of Scouting Programs to Allow Girls:

Today, the BSA’s Board of Directors unanimously approved welcoming girls into our iconic Cub Scout program and delivering a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout. This decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls. The BSA evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders — as well as parents and girls who’ve never been involved in Scouting — to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.

Starting in the 2018 program year, families can choose to sign up their sons and daughters for Cub Scouts. Existing packs may choose to establish a new girl pack, establish a pack that consists of girl dens and boy dens or remain an all-boy pack. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls. Using the same curriculum as the Boy Scouts program, the organization will also deliver a program for older girls, which will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019, that will enable them to earn the Eagle Scout rank. This unique approach allows us to maintain the integrity of the single-gender model while also meeting the needs of today’s families. 

This decision expands the programs that the Boy Scouts of America offers for both boys and girls. Although known for our iconic programs for boys, the BSA has offered co-ed programs since 1971 through Exploring and the Venturing program, which celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2018. The STEM Scout pilot program is also available for both boys and girls.

Jack L. Sears, Jr.| Scout Executive/CEO

BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA 
North Florida Council
  • Upvote 1