Family Scouting Survey Results

With the flurry of comments on various websites about BSA's announcement today, I'm seeing two major groups starting to take form:

1) I took the survey and support National's decision.

2) Whoa, what survey? I wish someone had told me about the survey, I would have said no.

I myself watched the video and requested a survey, but only because someone smuggled the URL onto this forum. Neither Grand Canyon Council nor my district therein held any kind of public meetings or townhalls on the matter. With Arizona's conservative slant, I can see most scouters here opposing the change.

So I'm curious to know what areas were actually polled. Where are you and were you "legitimately" surveyed?

Edited by Saltface

The poll was in conjunction to the town hall meetings on the topic. If you didn't go, you were not suppose to get the link. One council posted the link to the movie and the survey, so I took it before my council did the town hall.

Apparently I am in the minority. I think this is a bigger mistake than the Improved Scouting Program of the 1970s.  Read where Surbaugh said no coed camping for 11-14 year olds. Already know A) troops will ignore it and B) One suggested way to get around it was to make all camp outs 'Family Camp Outs"

The poll was in conjunction to the town hall meetings on the topic. If you didn't go, you were not suppose to get the link. One council posted the link to the movie and the survey, so I took it before my council did the town hall.

Apparently I am in the minority. I think this is a bigger mistake than the Improved Scouting Program of the 1970s.  Read where Surbaugh said no coed camping for 11-14 year olds. Already know A) troops will ignore it and B) One suggested way to get around it was to make all camp outs 'Family Camp Outs"

But in the end, your council did have a townhall, correct? What region are you in?

Why?  It seems the parents are in as much need of learning and development as the kids... family camping is the perfect opportunity to build character for all.  

But the program is for the development of boys, not their sisters and parents.

But in the end, your council did have a townhall, correct? What region are you in?

Southern Region, but I got the info from Western region council

Why?  It seems the parents are in as much need of learning and development as the kids... family camping is the perfect opportunity to build character for all.  

Because A) parents tend to destroy patrol dynamics in my experience and B) Parents bring siblings which also destroy the patrol method and possibly do things they are not suppose to do.

Some of my experiences at the Boy Scout level when family camping is include:

1. Siblings causing several thousands of dollars in damage to a facility we are at.

2. Siblings complaining that they cannot do the activities the Boy Scouts are doing. As a result the parents start forbidding their scouts from doing the activity, resulting in NO ONE (emphasis) being able to do the activity. This ruined a trip the PLC planned about a year in advance, and was a 7+ hour drive one way. That entire trip was a waste of time, and the troop didn't do any more family camps until almost all involved were gone and no Scouts remembered the weekend.

3. Parents and siblings running amok. Seriously I've seen parents interfere with patrol and the siblings running around, getting in the way, and parents not doing a thing to stop it.

4. Parents completely disregarding the PLs, SPL, and Scouters trying to correct them.

and this on numerous Cub Family camp outs as well as a few Boy Scout family camps

5. Parents doign whatever they want with the siblings, disregarding BSA rules and regs. I've seen alcohol, fireworks, firearms (OK, few firearms were OK since they were LEOs), disregard for Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, and shooting sports.

• Upvote 1

I  became a Scout leader to help develop character in boys. I'll accept the mission creep of girls. I have no desire to facilitate/ operate family camping, as a single 24 year old adult male. I can just easily set up a group of 20 somethings to go camping. 

I understand you think the baby has been tossed out with the bathwater with this decision. I don't agree. 

The patrol method, the aspect of scouting that forces youth to operate in a small group environment, lead each other and cooperate as a group, would be lost in a family camping scenario. There's definitely value in family camping, but not for me at this time. 

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 1

@@Saltface

Although I am now several states and 2 years removed from GSLAC (St. Louis, MO and one of the big Councils) I am still on the contact list and received the survey. Might also have to do with the various stipes I wore (IH, CM, CC, etc). Did not receive one in Simon Kenton (Columbus, OH) but I am just registered as a ASM. Did not think it appropriate to fill out the survey for the old council.

I got the survey, but in my thinking it was a formality with the writing already drying on the wall....

but extending this idea....that folks weren't given a chance to voice in....

the announcement from our council's executive just hitting my in-box a few minutes ago...

His opening paragraph (bolding is mine)

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America voted to expand Scouting Programs to allow Girls. The North Florida Council Executive Board, Staff and National Council Representatives were given no advance notice that this would be an agenda item for resolution at the National Executive Board meeting. In fact, I learned of the outcome of the decision just as everyone else did via news sources outside of the BSA.

I got the survey, but in my thinking it was a formality with the writing already drying on the wall....

but extending this idea....that folks weren't given a chance to voice in....

the announcement from our council's executive just hitting my in-box a few minutes ago...

His opening paragraph (bolding is mine)

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America voted to expand Scouting Programs to allow Girls. The North Florida Council Executive Board, Staff and National Council Representatives were given no advance notice that this would be an agenda item for resolution at the National Executive Board meeting. In fact, I learned of the outcome of the decision just as everyone else did via news sources outside of the BSA.

What is the rest of the announcement?!?

I've seen at least one, Middle Tennessee (on Facebook) that stated that they will not help in this change but will not oppose COs and their own decisions.

• Upvote 1