OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

Is there anything about Scouting you like?

Of course there is. I like just about everything we do at the unit level. That's why I participate.

I just wish we could drain that corrupt fetid swamp we call "national". There is absolutely nothing about BSA, above the unit level, that I like. I don't want to give them a nickel.

I do feel like every dollar we send to council/national is extortion money. I would rather burn it than see them get it.

There is a great scene from The Quiet Man when John Wayne tosses the dowry money into the fire. I wish we could get away with doing that at recharter time, and toss the money into a campfire as an gesture of our disdain. 

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

Then drain it.

CO’s have more power than any single group, if they show up and vote.

At a District level CO’ out number all others 4or 5:1, at Council 3 or 4:1.

The CO’s absolutely have the opportunity and authority to control how BSA operates.

• Upvote 1

Then drain it.

CO’s have more power than any single group, if they show up and vote.

At a District level CO’ out number all others 4or 5:1, at Council 3 or 4:1.

The CO’s absolutely have the opportunity and authority to control how BSA operates.

Absolutely untrue. The CO's have zero power in BSA. The execs have all the power. 

The COR's don't show up at council because they all know that it is a sham. It is a waste of their time. They have no real vote or real authority in council decisions.

The only way to drain the swamp is to deny them our money.

Unfortunately, the execs are a bit like the conquering machines in The Matrix. If you block off their sunlight, they might just decide to use you as a battery. 

Edited by David CO

Getting off topic...

I am not sure what matters our council CO's may decide, nor do I know their procedural rules.

But you do know that the majority of CO's were opposed to the recent changes, don't you?  If the CO's in BSA have so much power, then why did the execs feel so free to ignore them?

Is that on topic?

But you do know that the majority of CO's were opposed to the recent changes, don't you?  If the CO's in BSA have so much power, then why did the execs feel so free to ignore them?

Is that on topic?

Yes, that brings it back on topic. My understanding, the Executive Board "approved" the decision. I do not know if Council reps at the National meeting or CO's locally had any voice or were even notified.

I didn't receive any feedback from my CO's over the years.  Their hands-off stance keeps communication at an absolute minimum.  It usually boils down to "Are you going to pay the $20 part of the rechartering this year?"

Edited by Stosh

Absolutely untrue. The CO's have zero power in BSA. The execs have all the power. 

The COR's don't show up at council because they all know that it is a sham. It is a waste of their time. They have no real vote or real authority in council decisions.

The only way to drain the swamp is to deny them our money.

Unfortunately, the execs are a bit like the conquering machines in The Matrix. If you block off their sunlight, they might just decide to use you as a battery. 

If the Exec in your Council has ALL the power then it is because others have seeded it to him. The Council Exec's don't even have a vote. However, every CO does. In fact if you are telling the CoR NOT to, or even that he does not have to, show up and vote then you are not upholding your end of the Charter. When you signed off on the Charter you agreed that the CoR would represent your organization at District and Council.

Is that on topic?

No I don't know that to be true or false. I am not sure how you know that either.

But for the sake of argument, let's say you are correct and most CO's oppose allowing females into Cubs and creating a females equivalent to Boy Scouts. If CO's were doing what it said in the Charter they would have been present at District meetings to vote in people they want for District Chair. They would also be showing up to Council meeting to vote in the people who think like they do the to Council Executive Board. Those people (who would likely include several CoR's or IH if CoR's showed up to vote) would elect a President that agreed with them. And they would have the authority to remove a Council Exec that tried to ignore them.

That Council Executive Board would be the one who appoints who represents (and votes) at the Regional and National Level.

In turn those people elect the National Board, who hires the CSE. The CoR's HAVE the power if they choose to use it. If they choose to not use it then that too is their choice.

Was this business as usual for the BSA or was this an exception? Were you previously given prior notice of other membership changes?

I had heard rumors about the change more than a year ago. The concept was raised officially at last Spring's Annual Meeting, possibly sooner.

And of course there's yet one more option.  The CO's provide $20 and a place for scouts to meet. Period.  They don't have a genuine interest in the program but provide free meeting space as a community service opportunity.

My Venturing Crew CO did neither.

Edited by Stosh

And of course there's yet one more option.  The CO's provide $20 and a place for scouts to meet. Period.  They don't have a genuine interest in the program but provide free meeting space as a community service opportunity.

My Venturing Crew CO did neither.

Fair enough and I support that choice. I would support their choice to suspend their charter if they didn’t like the program. But I have no sympathy for them if the CO just does the minimum, does not participate in the district or Council and then complains they have no voice. There is a huge difference in not having a voice and not using that voice.

They would also be showing up to Council meeting to vote in the people who think like they do the to Council Executive Board. 

No, that's not how it works. The CO's cannot put someone they like up for the Executive Board. It is not like a regular election where anyone can be nominated to run.

The execs appoint a nominating committee, which creates a slate of candidates. The COR's have a yes or no vote to accept or reject the slate. The COR's cannot nominate an opposing candidate from the floor.

If they reject the slate, they will be in big trouble with national. The COR's in Chicago actually did show up in force one time. After they rejected the hand picked slate, the execs at national threatened to pull the council charter. National eventually got their slate passed.

National picks the slate at every level of scouting except the local unit. I support the local unit.

Edited by David CO