OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

Well now I'm confused.  I thought we were discussing tenting policy in relation to Cub Scout family camping (in which every tent has a Cub Scout and his parent(s).)  Now you are talking about the leaders-of-both-genders-on-coed-outings rule, which is a separate issue from sleeping accommodations.  ?

Sorry for the confusion. let me try and clarify.

Not only do we have folks thinking 11-17 yo Scouting will become "Family camping"  with siblings being able to tag along, but also that  if there are no female Scouters attending, as long as dad of the female Scout attends, there is no YP violation since it is 'family camping."

When I tried to explain the Venturing YP policies, i.e. female adult must attend, I'm told "no because as long as the dad attends, it's family camping."

Sorry for the confusion. let me try and clarify.

Not only do we have folks thinking 11-17 yo Scouting will become "Family camping"  with siblings being able to tag along, but also that  if there are no female Scouters attending, as long as dad of the female Scout attends, there is no YP violation since it is 'family camping."

When I tried to explain the Venturing YP policies, i.e. female adult must attend, I'm told "no because as long as the dad attends, it's family camping."

Well, I hope the BSA makes clear, and universally known, what is changing and what isn't.  Given my often-expressed criticism of the BSA for never properly informing the "field" (i.e. us, including those who don't read Internet Scouting forums) of what we need to know, I'm not betting a lot of money that they will.

• Upvote 1

Well, I hope the BSA makes clear, and universally known, what is changing and what isn't.  Given my often-expressed criticism of the BSA for never properly informing the "field" (i.e. us, including those who don't read Internet Scouting forums) of what we need to know, I'm not betting a lot of money that they will.

Even if they make it clear, we'll have a lot of threads in here trying to figure out what it all means.  Remember when we had an earnest discussion of whether a Scout that did 1 and a half pull-ups a month after doing one pull-up met the improved over a month requirement?  I'm pretty sure if I looked hard enough, I could find a discussion on what it means to swim one mile for the mile swim.

While you're not betting a lot of money that National will properly inform the field, I'm not betting a lot of money that the field will understand what National is releasing - even if they bullet point it, write it at the "See Spot Run" level, with illustrations of the Teletubbies modeling what it means.

Even if they make it clear, we'll have a lot of threads in here trying to figure out what it all means.  Remember when we had an earnest discussion of whether a Scout that did 1 and a half pull-ups a month after doing one pull-up met the improved over a month requirement?  I'm pretty sure if I looked hard enough, I could find a discussion on what it means to swim one mile for the mile swim.

While you're not betting a lot of money that National will properly inform the field, I'm not betting a lot of money that the field will understand what National is releasing - even if they bullet point it, write it at the "See Spot Run" level, with illustrations of the Teletubbies modeling what it means.

LOL, holding up to your reputation of the kind of person you have consistently been on this list. You make it quite clear what you really think of us. Hmm, I wonder, is that integrity.

Barry

We need to stop talking ABOUT personal attacks, as well. If someone has a complaint about someone else’s behavior, there is a flag report system. If someone has a complaint about an action by a moderator, they can email or PM SCOUTER-Terry.

Going forward in this thread, we need to EITHER discuss THE TOPIC, which is the upcoming change in BSA policies and programs, or else bring this thread to a close. I (and the other moderators) prefer to have threads come to a natural conclusion. But if this discussion does not get back to the topic immediately, and stay there exclusively, this thread will be locked, and if necessary, other appropriate action will be taken as well.

• Upvote 4

We need to stop talking ABOUT personal attacks, as well. If someone has a complaint about someone else’s behavior, there is a flag report system. If someone has a complaint about an action by a moderator, they can email or PM SCOUTER-Terry.

Going forward in this thread, we need to EITHER discuss THE TOPIC, which is the upcoming change in BSA policies and programs, or else bring this thread to a close. I (and the other moderators) prefer to have threads come to a natural conclusion. But if this discussion does not get back to the topic immediately, and stay there exclusively, this thread will be locked, and if necessary, other appropriate action will be taken as well.