OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

Scout Life. Appropriate no matter what color your uniform is.

I’d like “Scouting Life†better, but since there is already “Scouting†that’s probably not in the cards.

My guess is that the “Boy’s Life†title will remain, however odd and awkward that may become. Talk about “brand recognition.†It’s difficult to imagine changing such a well-known name. On the other hand, I thought something similar about Rutgers Stadium, until they changed it to High Point Solutions Stadium...

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

Can I borrow your crystal ball?  I'd like to get the winning lottery numbers for next weeks Megamillions and Powerball.

You don't need my crystal ball, I will just lend you my copies of scouter magazine, if you want to see what national has in mind for the future of the "Group Formerly Know As Boy Scouts of America" (GFKABSA)

The problem that Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are having is NOT caused by the kids, it is caused by bad adult leaders.  Yes, I have meet some great adult leaders, but there are too many bad adult leaders out there.  I have see too many good leaders driven out of the program by the bad ones gunning for them, it is heart breaking to so the good ones walk away, and end up stuck with horrible leader in a high position that no adult wants to follow, because they know they will regret it. 

I have often said, only partially in jest, that Boy Scouts would be GREAT if we could get the adults out of it.

There is far too much adult intervention and "support" that does not fit with the Aims and Methods. I won't call it bad, because most are just trying to help, but they do not understand the difference between Cub and Boy Scouts, or the BSA mission, Aims & Methods, boy-led philosophy or some other pillar of Scouting. For those, we can try to help, train and guide just like we do Scouts.

However, just like every other part of society, there are those that want to do things their way, because they know best. Moving them out of the way isn't really an option because we risk loosing their youth, who are often the ones that need Scouting the most. However, we can stand in the gap and be a constant reminder of how things work in BSA, give them jobs to keep them occupied and continue to try to educate them on how BSA works. Unfortunately, those people are often the cause of good Scouts and Scouters either leaving the program or moving on to other unit and weakening the unit they to which they belong.

• Upvote 1

@@cocomax, I have been to an awesome GS camporee put on by my Venturers for one of their GS gold awards..

It was at a beautiful camp that was closed this year ... along with 5 other GS/USA camps in our area.

Fact is, if senior girls and cadettes aren't aiming to camp monthly, the demand for camps drops precipitously,

A cautionary tale for all of us,

I am a very lucky scouter, the adult leadership of my troop is 100% on point with aim & methods and running a boy lead program. We have a great group of boys as well, all are good friends and they are cooking up some interesting new adventures we have never done before, it will be fun.

I get upset when I see other troops that have become train wreaks well on their way to folding completely, due to the iron fist rule by one adult scouter who is completely off the map,  in one case the adult scouter causing the problem not even the SM or ASM.  

I get upset when for the 3rd year in a row the district called off the camporee due to "weather" 3 hours after it was suppose to start (No rain in the forecast, high of 81 low of 47).  We went camping on our own instead. 

I guess our troop will just have to continue setting the example and hope other troops notice how much fun our boys are having. At least we will get to see other troops at summer camp.  

Thanks HelpfulTracks,  your words give me hope.

Maybe it is more misinformed than out of line. The average Scout/Scouter have no idea of the inner workings of BSA, even at a District or Council level. I'll admit I am very deep into scouting and the intricacies often confuse me and force me to go look things up.

But those old men and women, didn't get there by accident. And that starts at your local district and council. The people that make the committees and boards up have a very keen interest in Scouting, they make it go, giving and raising money, serving in various positions (at local levels often several positions, because they are the ones that step up when no one else does). They are nominated and elected to those positions by fellow Scouters (and Scouts) serving on committees, and without them the program would be much different, if it existed at all.

And contrary to popular belief the professionals are not the ones deciding everything. In fact, I think the only professional that has a vote is the National Chief Executive and that is only on the Executive Committee. Local Executives do not vote on the Council Committee.

Many, if not most, were scouts as youth, including the current executive (Eagle Scout) and Commissioner (cub, boy Scout and Explore). So, while they are old men, they got there through years of dedicated service to Scouting.

All the heavy lifting is done by the scouts and unit scouters. 

It is true that district and council leaders don't get there by accident. They get there by donating large sums of money to help pay for the execs bloated salaries. In return, the execs give council leaders prestigious looking positions on the committees. One hand washes the other. 

Scouts will never have much say at the district, council, or national level. They don't have the big bucks to buy a committee post.

Edited by David CO

It costs about $15 per person to do an e-mail survey, $30 per person to do a mail survey.   Do you want to sell Philmont or Seabase?

What? This doesn’t require hiring some New York advertising firm. You can ask a few simple questions with unique identifiers. Heck my dad says he already as do e a few of these on other issues. I highly doubt those were $15 a person. One user id per bsa member number. Winner gets to pick the rules. It’s better than having a bunch of old adults who think they know what boys want.

• Upvote 1

We will get by. We will get by. We will get by. We will survive.

@@Back Pack Don't trust anyone over 30. :rolleyes:

Some of the folks here talk a great game about Boy led but when it comes to issues like the future of Scouting you don’t trust them? I smell hypocracy. Either you believe in Boy led and the patrol method or you don’t. If you’re not willing to put the decision of who scouts let in to Scouting you then maybe such people should open their own over 30 adult scouting group and you make your own rules. Edited by Back Pack
  • Upvote 4

Instead of making arguments about what is best come back to the real world and plan out what would be the best course of action to use the BSA brand to increase money flow to get the salary of the BSA CEO at national back up to $1,600,000 a year.

You have to think more like a well paid businessman that wants to keep the board happy so he can keep his job, maybe get a raise, after all that is who is making the decisions, not the volunteers.  

The Boy Scouts of America brand name is one of the best known brand names in the world so keep the name.

Increase membership fees from $24 to $33, that will bring in at least $18,000,000 more each year.  Now don't raise it too high we do not want too many scouters and scouts to quit over too high fees.

Bring in the girls, marketing research shows that only 10% of boys have any interest in Boy Scouts, but 90% of girls are interested joining cubs and 87% want to join boy scouts. That is almost a 900% growth rate!

BSA Quote:  "A recent surveys of parents not involved with Scouting showed high interest in getting their daughters signed up for programs like Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, with 90 percent expressing interest in a program like Cub Scouts and 87 percent expressing interest in a program like Boy Scouts.  Education experts also evaluated the curriculum and content and confirmed relevancy of the program for young women."

Was it Mark Twain that said, " There are lies. There are damned lies. And then there are statistics."

Some of the folks here talk a great game about Boy led but when it comes to issues like the future of Scouting you don’t trust them? I smell hypocracy. Either you believe in Boy led and the patrol method or you don’t. If you’re not willing to put the decision of who scouts let in to Scouting you then maybe such people should open their own over 30 adult scouting group and you make your own rules.

Sarcasm, friend.

But you bring up an interesting point. At a national level how much should a youth led organization follow their youths' lead? I know my scouts, but do I know yours? I may trust them to assemble their own patrols and elect their own PLCs. But, should I ask them to decide how you should form your patrols?

• Upvote 1

Some of the folks here talk a great game about Boy led but when it comes to issues like the future of Scouting you don’t trust them? I smell hypocracy. Either you believe in Boy led and the patrol method or you don’t. If you’re not willing to put the decision of who scouts let in to Scouting you then maybe such people should open their own over 30 adult scouting group and you make your own rules.

You missed by humor, but while revisiting lyrics past

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy

To be calm when you've found something going on

But take your time, think a lot

Why, think of everything you've got

For you will still be here tomorrow

But your dreams may not

Give more thought to defining the problem and your proposed solution. 

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Back Pack, how do you see that being structured and operated? I’m curious because I am always interested in being more boy-led, but there are issues I am struggling to see how, what I think you are proposing, working.

All the heavy lifting is done by the scouts and unit scouters. 

It is true that district and council leaders don't get there by accident. They get there by donating large sums of money to help pay for the execs bloated salaries. In return, the execs give council leaders prestigious looking positions on the committees. One hand washes the other. 

Scouts will never have much say at the district, council, or national level. They don't have the big bucks to buy a committee post.

I hold District and Council positions and I am Committee’s at both levels. I cannot and don’t give big money to any level of BSA. I give to FoS when I can and I designate that my United Way contribution at work go to the Council, but that is about it other than paying for my children’s activities (most of which they pay for via fundraising). Sadly, the way United Way is setup with our local Council, no one can even verify that my money gets to the Council.

In fact, Charter Organizations hold far more power than most of us on a Committee, they get a vote in Council business, via the CoR’s.

As for bloated salaries, I know the starting salaries for DE’s in my area is under $38k, about $13k less than the average for bachelor degree.on top of that they are working 60-80 hours a week.

This is from the 10/11 announcement

Families today are busier and more diverse than ever. Most are dual-earners and there are more single-parent households than ever before [1], making convenient programs that serve the whole family more appealing. Additionally, many groups currently underserved by Scouting, including the Hispanic and Asian communities, prefer to participate in activities as a family. Recent surveys [2] of parents not involved with Scouting showed high interest in getting their daughters signed up for programs like Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, with 90 percent expressing interest in a program like Cub Scouts and 87 percent expressing interest in a program like Boy Scouts. 

Later the BIG 3 re-affirmed we were not going Coed

So the big deal is families and convenience etc etc.  One stop shopping, all these millions of people itching to join if only.....

For Cubs - Let's assume the family has 2 kids Tim in 4th grade and Tina in 2nd grade.  Going on the current plan of NOT COED but assuming the pack has Male and Female dens, poor old mom will only have 1 meeting per month that will be coordinated.  The Den meetings will likely be at separate times.  They would be on the same campouts, but that is maybe 2 activities per year.  Also I guess they could be at day camp together, not 100% sure.  She still has to schlep around to different meeting locations and times.

When Tim is in 5th grade and Webelos typically those (now patrols/dens) might camp as a den, so I guess Tina and family could come, not 100% sure

Then Tim crosses over and he would be in a Male troop and Tina would still be in cubs.  Current scouting is not really a family event.  In a couple of years Tina could join a girls troop, but not sure if there meeting night, events, etc would coordinate with Tim's troop.  Again, they could be at separate outings on opposite weekends.

Do not see how this will be easier on the under served family than current setup.