OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

Clarke Greene weighs in:

BSA Separate But Equal Plan for Girls

http://scoutmastercg.com/bsa-separate-but-equal-plan-for-girls/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=FeedBlitzRss&utm_content=BSA+Separate+But+Equal+Plan+for+Girls

I did not start out as a believer in co-ed Scouting. For most of the last 35 years I’ve been a volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America the status quo worked fine for me, co-ed Scouting was a big unknown, and being unknown it was something to resist.

Three Things That Changed My Mind.

First – during a week-long international Scouting trip several years ago (and two more since) I watched co-ed Scouting at work. Almost every other Scouting association in the world is co-ed. Most of us haven’t seen co-ed Scouting in action on that scale. It wasn’t complicated, a Scout is a Scout, it was that simple.

Second – I’ve talked to Scouters from many different parts of the world at length about co-ed Scouting. I probed for problems or regrets, I didn’t find any.

Third –  and most important, nearly six years ago our first grandchild was born. Before long she’ll be old enough to have the same experiences and advantages Scouting afforded her Eagle Scout father.

----------

More at the link. I recommend reading all of it as it doesn't end the same way it began. The title gives you a hint.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

I am convinced now the plan all along has been co-ed.  Which is why national does not have a name for the girls program.

I expect that sometime before 2019 national will announce that they have decided to go full co-ed.

We have all heard this internationalist, one world government argument before. It is a staple of the left. 

The founders of scouting could have set up one monolithic international organization with no borders and no national scouting associations. They wisely chose not to go that way. 

I think we should resist the argument that all national scout associations need to do things the same way. 

We have all heard this internationalist, one world government argument before. It is a staple of the left. 

The founders of scouting could have set up one monolithic international organization with no borders and no national scouting associations. They wisely chose not to go that way. 

I think we should resist the argument that all national scout associations need to do things the same way. 

I don't think that's what people are suggesting.

It's a case of looking at evidence, ie what has worked all around the world, in the majority of countries and cultures on every continent.

It still doesn't mean you have to do it because of that, it's simply a case of if you are considering it looking at the ample evidence that there is out there.

Absolutely. I think there are some that are using the phrase because they oppose the policy change and want to make the connection. I prefer a discussion based on merit rather than creating a bias by attempting to connect the two very different issues.

'Apart, yet the same?' 

I think that was over the issues with Cheese that the internationalist one-world government one-scout movement collapsed. How soon we forget the 'Feta War' tragedy between the Greeks and well, everyone else. And the Americans insisting that 'American Singles' is an actual cheese rather than the whey-based lie it really is. While I am raking up the muck I will not, for once blame Mr Surbaugh--the cheese issue sits squarely on Bob Muzzuka's head. If not for him Baden Powell's deep, deep state plan for world domination would finally be ours!

I think that was over the issues with Cheese that the internationalist one-world government one-scout movement collapsed. How soon we forget the 'Feta War' tragedy between the Greeks and well, everyone else. And the Americans insisting that 'American Singles' is an actual cheese rather than the whey-based lie it really is. While I am raking up the muck I will not, for once blame Mr Surbaugh--the cheese issue sits squarely on Bob Muzzuka's head. If not for him Baden Powell's deep, deep state plan for world domination would finally be ours!

I'd like a glass of whatever Tampa Turtle is drinking on this fine late Friday afternoon.

• Upvote 3

I don't think that's what people are suggesting.

It's a case of looking at evidence, ie what has worked all around the world, in the majority of countries and cultures on every continent.

It still doesn't mean you have to do it because of that, it's simply a case of if you are considering it looking at the ample evidence that there is out there.

Looking at other scouting programs to justify going co-ed presumes that co-ed is the preferred end point.  The debate isn't over whether co-ed can work but rather whether co-ed is the right option for the boys currently in the program and the impact it will have on them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd like a glass of whatever Tampa Turtle is drinking on this fine late Friday afternoon.

Sorry, Son#2 turned in his Eagle notebook this week and Council approved . I just picked up his final Merit Badges for the sash for whenever the EBOR is after National reviews. I guess I was a little giddy. It was a hard week. 

"Gays, Girls, God, a.nd Gouda. One by one their sacred shibboleths of scouting will crumble." -- Sir Baden Powell, 'Aids to Scoutmastership, Cheese, and World Domination' (intro) , Cheddar Gorge Books, 1919.

I have a 4G LifeToEagle cellular network

• Upvote 1

Boys? Best for the boys?

I do not think boys are the main focus of BSA anymore. Girls and single moms are more important to the BSA now.   The boys and scouters need to just accept that and be cheerful as they help the girls, single moms, and  families. 

I found his logic dicey.  He's was ok with separate but equal as long as there was a co-ed option, but opposed to separate but equal without the co-ed option.  Not sure one's support or opposition to SBE should swing on context.

To be fair I am not sure if he is intending to mislead a little and phase in a co-ed plan or really mean what he says but it is muddled thinking. I am pretty sure eventually they will all be called 'Scouts'. I am curious on how a form of conditional gender integration will be implemented in the field or how the reality will be accepted by the public. Am I the only one who thinks that anything less than 100% gender integration (for lack of a better term than 'co-ed') will be loudly pointed out by GSUSA?