OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

Just to be clear, this is NOT a decision to allow girls into Boy Scout troops.  I understand that some here believe that will be the result, or the "second step", or whatever, but the fact remains that the BSA is setting up a separate, parallel program for Boy Scout-age girls, in which they can earn Eagle.

I'm not sure you are correct about a separate program. The relevant sentence is (emphases is mine):

Today, the Boy Scouts of America Board of Directors unanimously approved to welcome girls into its iconic Cub Scout program and to deliver a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout.

So that could mean a separate program, but I it could also be read that the BSA "will do something" for older girls, to be determined later. I think it's the latter, and this means that National is still deciding (arguing?) about how to handle the older girls and so are kicking the can down the road.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

Does anyone else consider the whole sequence of events suspect, culmlnating in a press release on International Day of the Girl?

Seems rushed just to try and capitalize on the timing. And likely to backfire in numerous ways. Not to mention possibly igniting a war with GSUSA. 

More signs that those in charge have no clue.

• Upvote 1

What I want to know how to handle is this.  We're a one den per grade pack, 4-8 boys per den.  We might get 1-2 girls interested at each grade level.  How are supposed to implement that?

I am sure there will be detailed guidance from National on how to deal with all possible situations.

<Sarcasm off>

Actually, I am hopeful that there will be at least some type of guidance from National about something.

Does anyone else consider the whole sequence of events suspect, culmlnating in a press release on International Day of the Girl?

Seems rushed just to try and capitalize on the timing. And likely to backfire in numerous ways. Not to mention possibly igniting a war with GSUSA. 

More signs that those in charge have no clue.

The "International Day of the Girl" seems to be a holiday observed mostly on Facebook, and few other places.  I doubt the timing has any practical impact on the business of delivering the Scouting program.

• Upvote 1

"Just to be clear, this is NOT a decision to allow girls into Boy Scout troops.  I understand that some here believe that will be the result, or the "second step", or whatever, but the fact remains that the BSA is setting up a separate, parallel program for Boy Scout-age girls, in which they can earn Eagle."

and exactly how is this making scouting more accessible to families. It's still two separate troops, two separate meetings two times they have to bring their children somewhere...

• Upvote 2

I hope in 2019 it isn't different troops for genders.  I guess we need to wait for that clarity.

Well, if I understand your question, I think that is exactly what the plan is.  Boy Scouts for boys and "Something" Scouts for girls, with different units for each.  Not coed troops.