Eagle Scout Board of Review

6 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Just out of curiosity, what page is that?  I probably would have thought the same thing, but I wouldn't have said anything.  I probably would have just said, At ease, or something like that, and asked him to be seated.  Once he did the Oath and Law WITHOUT BEING ASKED (right?), I would have known what I had on my hands and proceeded accordingly.  If a Scout just wants to talk, that's fine.  If in talking he happens to answer all the board's questions, that's also fine.  If not, I'll stay there as long as he wants, even if its past my bedtime.  But in the end, unless one of his reference letters is from his probation officer, or the Scoutmaster signed the application but wrote "This is all a lie", or something like that, we'll be congratulating a new Eagle by the end of the night.

It's in the section where they talk about and show the Scout Salute.  It can be used to show respect for another scout/scouter.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A priest, a minister and a rabbi walk into an Eagle Board of Review...

My guess is that what they meant is that the references must be sealed and opened at the board of review, not the people giving the references.  Those are typically destroyed afterwards so the scout d

Not to worry, this process is nothing more than authoritarian gate-keeping and bullying of scouts who have earned the rank.  The EBOR is not a final test, it is not a judgment, it is not an evaluation

7 minutes ago, Stosh said:

It's in the section where they talk about and show the Scout Salute.  It can be used to show respect for another scout/scouter.

Ok, well I'll be in the same room as several Scout Handbooks in about three hours so I'll take a look.

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

I don't think checking paperwork comes under the heading of coaching. However, I am guilty of giving a scout a few suggestions to calm his nerves. I have also given the scout a few suggestions mostly to calm the nerves of the parents who are observing our SM Conference. 

Barry, this role came about in our unit due to an over-zealous district rep and a bit of shenanigans at council with regard to paperwork. We had a Scout kicked back to us because of a computer issue with council. His records were pristine, nonetheless, it took several weeks of calls and visits to council to get it straightened out. That was over 10 years ago.

Since putting our checks and balances in place we have had zero issues. In fact, the once grumpy (well, truth be told he's still grumpy, but not to us anymore) district rep barely passes an eye over our kids' paperwork. He knows it's 110% every time. I consider that part of adult leaders running interference for our Scouts. Sad it is needed.

4 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Just out of curiosity, what page is that?  I probably would have thought the same thing, but I wouldn't have said anything.  I probably would have just said, At ease, or something like that, and asked him to be seated.  Once he did the Oath and Law WITHOUT BEING ASKED (right?), I would have known what I had on my hands and proceeded accordingly.  If a Scout just wants to talk, that's fine.  If in talking he happens to answer all the board's questions, that's also fine.  If not, I'll stay there as long as he wants, even if its past my bedtime.  But in the end, unless one of his reference letters is from his probation officer, or the Scoutmaster signed the application but wrote "This is all a lie", or something like that, we'll be congratulating a new Eagle by the end of the night.

"Scout Salute   ...The Scout Salute is a form of greeting that also shows respect.  Use it to salute the flag of th United States of America.  You may also salute other Scouts and Scout leaders."

Boy Scouts of America, Boy Scout Handbook, 25th ed,. at p. 28, accord, 5th Ed. at p. 46, 12th Ed. at p. 20,  11th Ed. at p. 7,  7th Ed. at p. 55, 9th (Bill Hillcourt) Ed. at p. 47 - and many other places.

(The pathetic 10th  Ed. seems to have omitted the Scout Salute except for a picture of it.  It also lacks an index, having only the partial results of a word search for certain words.)

" If not, I'll stay there as long as he wants, even if its past my bedtime. "  :D