Im going to vent a little here...

In this world we live in, how many of us encounter unpleasant people? This is something we all must live with on a daily basis. Whether in the work place, or on a college campus. It seems the world is full of these unpleasant people. By unpleasant I mean, they are nasty/mean spirited, untrustworthy, selfish, and cold.

I find myslelf surrounded by these people here in college. People that if you ask them to "wait up" for you, they will not. People that come into your room, and take things without asking... food etc...

Scouting has taught me values that I live by everyday from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep at night. I always am ready and willing to give to others and help someone out. I have noticed in this life, that meeting people that hold similar values to your own are hard to find. With the exception of your family, and close friends, it is difficult to trust someone.

When I encounter a Scouter on the other hand, even if that person is a stranger, I know off the bat something about that person, especially a fellow Eagle Scout. In MOST cases, ( I know of two Eagle Scouts that I wouldn't trust, and can't imagine who they paid off to earn the rank and respect of an Eagle) scouters are descent people. They are caring, and understand right from wrong. They are always willing to lend a hand.

Wouldn't it be nice to be around descent people all the time?

Ok, I have vented.

(this post does not imply that people that are not scouters are not descent people)

"Wouldn't it be nice to be around descent people all the time?"

Does that mean that they're going down?

" People that come into your room, and take things without asking... food etc..."

Back in the day, if someone did that there was a quick solution, you pounded them. Today, I'm sure that pounding is frowned upon.

In an ideal world, sure it would be nice to be around desent people. However, Scouters and non-Scouters alike vary. I will admit here that some of the toughest times with other people ended up being the times that taught me the most. I think it comes down to what we each practice, for we cannot control others' actions or words. You said it well:

Scouting has taught me values that I live by everyday from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep at night.

What you do matters, and it sounds as though you doing just fine :) Your example may very well catch on too; never underestimate that. People watch and learn, and you don't know who might be watching you, whose life you might touch.

As for the vent part: I have and will continue to confront fellow Scouters who act in a way that is unbecoming to Scouting. To remain quiet is to endorse their behavior, at least IMO. It is how we confront others that makes a difference too. To say, "wow, you were such a jerk to do that" would be quite counterproductive. However, to ask, "could we talk; something's been on my mind that I'd like to discuss with you...you know, as adults we may not think much of certain words, but I have noticed that some of the boys are cursing a lot. Do you think we could work together to help them by setting a stronger example for them?"

Venture...or should I say, "Grasshopper"....

Once, many years ago, when I was complaining to my office-mate about the idiot no-loads we had to deal with....he reminded me that "hey, without them, we'd just be "average"." So, those whom you find useless and irritating are serving a purpose within God's plan. They make you look good by comparison. Even the mosquito, the poison ivy plant, and the rattlesnake (and yes, even FOG and BW)have a place in the ecosystem, though we may not fully understand it, and without them it becomes unbalanced. Being successful in life will require you to be able to deal with (and work with) all types of people, especially those who do not share your views, values and intellect.

Its been awhile since I broke out in song:

We light the light of Scouting,

We give the flight to eagles,

Throughout the world.

We'll never be hiked under,

Listen to our Scouting thunder,

Throughout the world.

For the newbies & unindoctrinated OGE sings to the tune of "Scotland the Brave". "The Light of Scouting is a great piece for opening campfires a little too(?) upbeat for leaving, especially if you officially closed w/ vespers!

rpm

I did not want to start a new thread for this so I'll post it here.

Tonight I went to an Alan Jackson concert, he's a country singer for those of you who don't know. I was there with my girlfriend and her parents. Anyway... Martina McBride opened the show, and Alan Jackson was the head liner. His first songs starts up, everyone stands up, and the party starts! Not 30 seconds of me standing up when a woman behind me taps me on the back. She says, "Can you sit, my daughter can't see". First of all if I was blocking someones view at any other event, I would move, or sit. But this is a concert! I can't believe she asked me this and I reply " We're at a concert". I turn around continue to dance and clap, and she taps me again. She says "Don't be an ***hole, sit down now". NOW...I am really ticked off. How dare she say that to me, especailly at a concert where 10 thousand people are standing up! But I should sit, because her daughter can't see... The daugter looked like she was probably 3 years of age. I stayed cool though as I usually do, and I reply " I paid $50 for this seat, there are thousands of people standing up, I'm sorry". I than whisper to my girlfriend what happend, and she can't believe the woman said what she said. My girlfriend could tell I was ticked off and replied " Of all people your an ***hole? Look at your buckle and let it go, your an Eagle Scout". (I proudly wear my Eagle Scout buckle daily)

Anyway, I just though I'd share that with all of you. I think they should post on tickets for concerts "Warning: People will be standing up having fun at this show, sorry for the inconvience, TS"