I am the Committee and Cubmaster

I am taking over as the Cubmaster and finding out that we don't have a committee. Our outgoing Cubmaster has been full-filling the role of all the committee members herself. I am definitely willing to work hard in this role but I don't want to be everything. She has worked hard as Cubmaster, but some things have taken a back burner and have resulted in a pack that is barely getting by. We aren't thriving despite the fact that we are the only pack in our city of 31,000. We only have 16 boys. I have a definite idea of the direction I want our pack to head but I am not sure sure I want to give up all the roles yet, but I want to ensure my pack will be set up in a way that it will operate without me. How would you go about establishing a pack committee in this situation?

Hi JoeLike,

I am assuming that there is actually a "paper" committee already in place. You cannot charter or recharter a unit with BSA unless you have committee members. The first thing you should do is to find out who is listed on your roster as the unit committee members. 

If these people are willing to serve as a committee and carry out their duties as unit committee members, your problem is solved.  

It is not your place to appoint a committee. That's the job of the COR. If you feel that your unit needs to have more "active" members on the committee, I would suggest that you contact the COR with your concerns.

Since I belong to the CO I was told I am the COR too. We have a committee "on paper." I am trying to get away from just a paper committee. I want to make us to be more effective, not just cross our t's and dot our i's. It is a frustrating spot to be in. I know it isn't the role of the Cubmaster to appoint a committee. I am filling shoes I shouldn't be filling. I want to get away from that. I want us to get on the right footing.  

Edited by JoeLike

Good. You already know the direction you want to go, and you have the authority to lead the unit. Now the question is how do you get there.

My unit had a half and half mix of parents and non-parents on our committee. This was by design, not by happenstance. We actively recruited within our CO for non-parent volunteers. 

We also wanted our unit committee to mirror the entire social economic make up of our CO. We weren't looking for just white collar professionals. We wanted blue collar workers, too.

We got the word out that we weren't just rounding up "the usual suspects" in our search for our unit leadership. We were looking well beyond that.

What kind of mix are you looking for?

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 2

Good. You already know the direction you want to go, and you have the authority to lead the unit. Now the question is how do you get there.

My unit had a half and half mix of parents and non-parents on our committee. This was by design, not by happenstance. We actively recruited within our CO for non-parent volunteers. 

We also wanted our unit committee to mirror the entire social economic make up of our CO. We weren't looking for just white collar professionals. We wanted blue collar workers, too.

We got the word out that we weren't just rounding up "the usual suspects" in our search for our unit leadership. We were looking well beyond that.

What kind of mix are you looking for?

I really like that approach! Really connects your unit to your CO and there's a great diversity in experience there.

• Upvote 1

I was in this same spot a year ago. Was no real committee, except on paper,. CM was in name only, treasurer was running the pack, etc.....

I recruited adults, aggressively.  And it worked! Give them a general overview, that you need help at a committee level. Explain that this is NOT a leadership (Den Leader, ACM, etc) type position. Let prospective members know that it is help making decisions you need, and not being a den leader. I had much more success going that route. Then specific tasks come later. 

We have a small pack, and sometimes have to wear a lot of hats. But we make it work.

• Upvote 1