New Requirement Question

Go to solution Solved by frankpalazzi,

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No offense, but you need to resign Boy Scouts today.   You've been making the promise below since you started BSA, which is at least 2 years ago if you are a Life Scout.   On my honor I will do my

Here's a link that should answer any questions:  https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/01/03/new-boy-scout-requirements-now-mandatory-jan-1-2017/

First: Yes, it really stinks to have to carry inserted sheets. If a BSHB survives a scout through adulthood, it is a real joy for him to be able to pull it off the shelf and share it with his kids (an

Darn, not the answer I was hoping.

Thanks!

What's causing you problems? The rest of us who coach Life scouts might like to reassure a boy that there's a stranger on the Internet who feels his pain.

What's causing you problems? The rest of us who coach Life scouts might like to reassure a boy that there's a stranger on the Internet who feels his pain.

First,

The hassle of having leaders sign off on the new requirements since you have to print them out. (I have the old book).

Second,

BSA is empathizing more on God and religion, but what about those who don’t go to church so often, etc. because of their reasons. (Please note I don’t mean to offend anyone)

First,

The hassle of having leaders sign off on the new requirements since you have to print them out. (I have the old book).

Second,

BSA is empathizing more on God and religion, but what about those who don’t go to church so often, etc. because of their reasons. (Please note I don’t mean to offend anyone)

First: Yes, it really stinks to have to carry inserted sheets. If a BSHB survives a scout through adulthood, it is a real joy for him to be able to pull it off the shelf and share it with his kids (and the scouts in the unit he may then be leading). There is something authentic about it all being bound in one place. Extra sheets detract from that, IMHO.

But ... for Eagle rank, a scout completes the rank application anyway (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-728_WB_fillable.pdf), and all the requirements are on it. Requisite signatures at the bottom. Question for other SMs/CCs: how relevant are initials in the book to you once a boy is a Life rank?

Second: No offense taken. We have this a lot. (Here's a thread that shows it http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/27056-get-ready-for-new-requirements-in-faith/).

And a lot of boys in our troop (because of their reasons) are unchurched (untempled? unmosqued?). That's okay. I think main thrust of requiring this to be brought up at SMC's is to prevent a scout from being blind-sided by the question at the time of his EBoR. The goal is to ask how you work out your -- not my, nor his,  hers, nor anyone else's -- duty to God in everyday life.

Your duty to God may have compelled you to steer clear of church. It might involve visiting other places of worship, praying and studying on your own, applying what you've already learned by treating your fellow man more kindly, catching every sunset that you can ... as with most questions like these, be honest, brief, and clear.

I might add, as a Christian, I've gained more from listening to boys' discussions on these matters than I have from 10 times the verbiage in sermons and homilies.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

qwazse:   Said very well.  Thee speaks my mind, friend.   

The perceived need to try and define YOUR belief by insisting you match MY belief has fueled more conflicts than any other reason. 

Christ may indeed be The Way ,  but other ways may well get you there, albeit in (what some may see as) a circuitous route.

"" 519. The Humble, Meek, Merciful, Just,  Pious and Devout Souls, are everywhere of one Religion; and when Death has taken off the Mask, they will know one another, tho' the divers Liveries they wear here make them Strangers. ""    = William Penn,  'Some Fruits of Solitude'  =

qwazse:   Said very well.  Thee speaks my mind, friend.   

The perceived need to try and define YOUR belief by insisting you match MY belief has fueled more conflicts than any other reason. 

Christ may indeed be The Way ,  but other ways may well get you there, albeit in (what some may see as) a circuitous route.

"" 519. The Humble, Meek, Merciful, Just,  Pious and Devout Souls, are everywhere of one Religion; and when Death has taken off the Mask, they will know one another, tho' the divers Liveries they wear here make them Strangers. ""    = William Penn,  'Some Fruits of Solitude'  =

First: Yes, it really stinks to have to carry inserted sheets. If a BSHB survives a scout through adulthood, it is a real joy for him to be able to pull it off the shelf and share it with his kids (and the scouts in the unit he may then be leading). There is something authentic about it all being bound in one place. Extra sheets detract from that, IMHO.

But ... for Eagle rank, a scout completes the rank application anyway (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-728_WB_fillable.pdf), and all the requirements are on it. Requisite signatures at the bottom. Question for other SMs/CCs: how relevant are initials in the book to you once a boy is a Life rank?

Second: No offense taken. We have this a lot. (Here's a thread that shows it http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/27056-get-ready-for-new-requirements-in-faith/).

And a lot of boys in our troop (because of their reasons) are unchurched (untempled? unmosqued?). That's okay. I think main thrust of requiring this to be brought up at SMC's is to prevent a scout from being blind-sided by the question at the time of his EBoR. The goal is to ask how you work out your -- not my, nor his,  hers, nor anyone else's -- duty to God in everyday life.

Your duty to God may have compelled you to steer clear of church. It might involve visiting other places of worship, praying and studying on your own, applying what you've already learned by treating your fellow man more kindly, catching every sunset that you can ... as with most questions like these, be honest, brief, and clear.

I might add, as a Christian, I've gained more from listening to boys' discussions on these matters than I have from 10 times the verbiage in sermons and homilies.

The SM is asking a simple question. How YOU see YOUR duty to God is how you answer that question. There is no wrong answer, it is just a way to open the topic for discussion.

My SM suggested last night “I should do something to show how I did my duty to godâ€.

He knows me and a few other scouts in the troop don’t go to church often, he understands, but he wants follows the requirements to the point.

Gee, I spent 4 weeks down to Houston TX with the Red Cross doing relief work like delivering food and water, setting up shelters, etc. Is that:

1) Duty to God? (active/social ministry?)

2) Duty to Country? 

3) Troop Service project?

4) ??

By the way, I missed going to church and/oi Bible Study during those 4 weeks.  I'll probably go to Hell for that.  I was 2 blocks from Lakewood Church and was always too busy to go.  It might have been fun.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the Red Cross staffing.  I have my choice of 4 different hurricanes to choose from.  I can go back to Harvey (TX), Irma (FL), Maria (VI, PR) or now Nate is heading for the last piece of shoreline in the Gulf not yet hit.  After a weekend of camping with the Scout unit, I'll be heading out for another 2-3 weeks.

I don't officially "belong" to any organized church denomination.  I "tend to lean" towards conservative Lutheranism if I have to actually write it down somewhere.

So, does any of that have to do with my Duty to God?  "Goin' to Church" every week isn't always a good answer to the question, How have you done your duty to God?.  Just sayin'

If this requirement causes one to be "concerned", then 1) they aren't living their faith or 2) they don't have a faith to live by in the first place.

Edited by Lurking...

Unfortunately, this discussion of a simple advancement question has now crossed the line into Issues and Politics, which is where it is about to be.  The only solace is that the actual advancement question asked by Brian (do the new requirements apply to me) has already been answered.

My SM suggested last night “I should do something to show how I did my duty to godâ€.

Whether this is correct or not depends on what your SM means by "do something."  The requirement says "Tell how you have done your duty to God..."  That's what you have to do, under the requirement.