New BALOO Training curriculum?

Once, it was expected that every training session started with an assessment of what the "learners" already knew.  The official syllabii so instructed.  Somewhere/somewhen that went away - officially.  Some of us still do it to guide the presentation on the fly and to identify teaching resources.

Cub camping is far different from troop camping. Cub camping is hard work because the “vast†majority of participants don’t have a camping experience or “camping gearâ€. As a result, other than Webelos camping, cub camping requires a lot of preplanning and organizing.

I’m all for a course in planning cub camping trips, but BALOO isn’t the right venue. Instruction on cub camping needs to be a totally different session that provides a lot of helpful documentation. There is good hand holding type documentation for cub camping provided for packs at the cub adventure camps like the one at John Zink Ranch near Tulsa Oklahoma.

BALOO needs to be training for the other 98 percent of running a pack, which doesn’t include camping overnight. Maybe an evening campfire, but not camping.

Barry

• Upvote 1

Barry,

Baloo is focused on outdoor program, including camping.  It is the IOLS, if you will, for Cubbing - so much so that adding a couple of hours to IOLS covers Baloo (and OWL).

The training you say Baloo should present is supposedly covered by "position specific" training for adults in Cubbing.

What am I missing (again)?

I recently served on a Baloo staff for the first time, responsible for the outdoor portion.  It was apparent in the first minute that most, if not all, of the attendees were very knowledgeable about camping, cooking, etc, and were comfortable in the outdoors.  We spent our allotted time verifying, discussing, sharing.  There was certainly no need for me to "teach" them a topic they already knew.

It would be helpful if an overnight camp option was available for those who want it.  Otherwise, it's another time commitment for people who don't need to go over basic camping skills.

My biggest takeaway:  they were all in their 20's and 30's.  Still active, young, energetic, pursuing careers and raising families.  If they are going to make time for training, it needs to be quick, useful, and respectful. 

Edited by desertrat77

There seems to be a common theme here. Either the training is too onorus or it's a good way to get more people outdoors that have no experience. The BSA training is too short and incomplete but cub scout training is too much. Given that many cub scouters get burned out from too much advancement, repetition, etc, maybe there is room for better training. I'm not sure what it would look like or whether the BSA can deliver but I tend towards the side that says one night in the woods is a good idea for cub leaders.

*sigh*

When my Fearless Leader told me (us trainers) of the email announcement ("Immediately", see above)  he had just received , three days before our BALOO Saturday (requested and organized by a local Pack with parents who collectively had NO camping experience and wanted to give the Cubs the "adventure " they had been promised),  we collectively said "huh?".   F-L declared he would proceed with our original plans and he would send our collective protest  to Irving via Council Training Committee.

Our Saturday included about 20 adult Cubbers, from all around our District.  We started in the aforementioned "church social hall" and went outside for equipment demos and the charcoal lunch: Hamburger and 'taters in foil.   It worked.  Lots of questions, lots of sharing of experience, no "death by powerpoint", not even a bruising by newsprint pad. 

F-L asked folks if they thought an overnight would have been a good idea, they reluctantly said , maybe, but again, how would they prepare for such when NONE of them had ever been Scout camping?  Some summer camps back when they were many moon younger, but they were cabins and dining hall camps.

We had many compliments and thanks from them in the evaluations.    F-L and us trainers all thought, how much more trouble an overnight tent camp with well meaning Cub adults would be?    We also do the IOLS, and that is a fun thing.  Most IOLS folks have some camping under the belt and them that have help them that haven't.

F-L and I haven't talked about the adjustment that will come . 

As was  testified to above,  regardless of the curriculum, "It Depends"  very much on the Trainers. 

• Upvote 1

This is a good point. How are people going to prepare for overnight camping to learn about overnight camping?

All for the limited amount of Pack-level overnight camping allowed by National.

The ROI just isn't there for most people, even without the chicken-or-the-egg ridiculousness.

F-L asked folks if they thought an overnight would have been a good idea, they reluctantly said , maybe, but again, how would they prepare for such when NONE of them had ever been Scout camping?  

They can be helped in their prep with material supplied in text and video before the training event.

"Welcome to BALOO training! It is the Cub Scout leader training required for any Cub Scout den or pack outdoor event, including pack camping overnighters and Webelos den overnighters. This training should be presented by council or district level training teams as needed. Councils may decide to require periodic refreshers based on local situations. BALOO training is comprised of two components—an online component and a practical, hands-on component. Both components must be completed to qualify as a “TRAINED†Cub Scout outdoor leader."

If the training is fun - i.e. properly put on - they will feel it was worth their time.  If it is poorly done - to be endured - of course they will feel it was a waste.

If campers do not like the meals they receive at camp, do we reduce the number of meals or do the necessary to get better meals served?

Edited by TAHAWK

Then, too, there is , perhaps , some precedent.

Our school's fourth graders go to "Outdoor Camp" for three days each school year in a County Park.  Bunk rooms, they must bring or borrow or get loaned sleeping bags.  It is highly chaperoned and adult overseen by park people and teachers.  It is not Cub Camping, not as we would like to think of Cub Camping., but for many of the kids it is the epitome of "roughing it".  Some may not even see any sort of summer camp, not even a day camp thing, so this is looked forward to by all the kids.  The school curriculum even includes some "training" for the kids and parent chaperones. (You want your mom on the camp with you?  ) .

And of course, some of the kids want nothing to do with this insult to their indoor/ipad/smartphone/computer ethos.  Deal with it, kids....