Not Enough Room for POR Patch on Uniform

I sat down today with my son's 'Bugler' and 'Trained' patches, only to realize that there's not enough room on the short sleeve uniform shirt for all the patches to fit.  His Court of Honor is tonight, and I have no idea what to do about the patches.  Can anyone help?!  I'll try and get a photo posted.

Congratulations to your son!

I just spent last night coaching our new bugler in some calls, and I'm really looking forward to our troop rallying under the young man's muster.

It's a tight fit for some of the shorter sleeves. But my off-the-cuff call would be: Put "Trained" in the drawer if there's no room. Tell him to grow into a larger shirt ASAP. :D

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

Thanks.  It's not clear from the BSA illustration that the trained patch is on the cuff.  I can move the council patch up by 3/16", but even doing that, it's going to be a really tight squeeze, and the bugler patch is going to sit on the cuff as well.  Also, no space between council patch and troop numbers.  I think I need a bigger kid!!

• Upvote 1

If it sits on the cuff, it sits on the cuff. On some of the smaller-sized short sleeve shirts, it's inevitable.  We have some Scouts in my troop where this same thing happens.  You won't get hauled off to Uniform Jail by the Patch Police if it's on the cuff. :)

As mentioned above. The CSP should touch the top of the shoulder seam. The Troop numbers should be right below that, touching the bottom of the CSP.  And then, the POR patch should be just below that, touching the bottom of the troop numbers. The "Trained" or "NYLT" patch would go just below that, touching the bottom of the POR patch.

If it's a short-sleeved shirt with the pocket, then the POR patch is centered on the pocket, and the "Trained"/"NYLT" patch would go on the pocket flap.

With the advent of the custom troop numbers patches which are typically larger than the unit numerals sold at the Scout Store, it's led to the pushing down of the POR patch, sometimes onto the cuff.

• Upvote 1

If it sits on the cuff, it sits on the cuff. On some of the smaller-sized short sleeve shirts, it's inevitable.  We have some Scouts in my troop where this same thing happens.  You won't get hauled off to Uniform Jail by the Patch Police if it's on the cuff. :)

As mentioned above. The CSP should touch the top of the shoulder seam. The Troop numbers should be right below that, touching the bottom of the CSP.  And then, the POR patch should be just below that, touching the bottom of the troop numbers. The "Trained" or "NYLT" patch would go just below that, touching the bottom of the POR patch.

If it's a short-sleeved shirt with the pocket, then the POR patch is centered on the pocket, and the "Trained"/"NYLT" patch would go on the pocket flap.

With the advent of the custom troop numbers patches which are typically larger than the unit numerals sold at the Scout Store, it's led to the pushing down of the POR patch, sometimes onto the cuff.

My OCD doesn't like it, but that's how it's going to have to be - at least until we get a bigger shirt.  Thanks to everyone.  Off to get this taken care of.

yeah, my sons didn't fit either when he was APL and then PL...that was when he was still somewhat gung-ho for scouting.

I think his shirt was size small.  

I was going to just help him clip the patch but he never wanted to sew the thing on..... he could care less about patches even then....

I think clipping the POR patch might be the only option I can come up with....

I am a smaller guy, and so not all of my patches fit on my sleeve above the cuff. After the council strip, veteran unit bar, troop numerals, and position patch, there was just barely enough room at the edge of the sleeve to squeeze on my trained patch. I am a pretty fine tailor so I had the others all lined up as neatly and closely as could be, but there just wasn't room above the cuff for that last item, so right on the cuff my trained patch lies, with maybe a few centimeters between the bottom of it and the edge of the sleeve. All of the patches run right up against each other, with no space whatsoever between them.

It's not aesthetically pleasing, especially for a guy like me with snobbish sartorial sensitivities AND a mild case of uniform perfectionism, but I have to remember that it's not about looks - it's about good uniforming. So I am willing to sacrifice what looks good for what is right, and it sets the right example for the boys while teaching myself the right lesson. 

Bugling ! Good for him.   As an "older guy", I teach Bugling Merit Badge.  Tell your Scout that when he gets good at it, he can even make a little money (which he might want to donate to a worthy charity), by offering his services to the local VFW or American Legion.  They are always looking for buglers for ceremonies, especially burials.   And, check with Bugles Across America"   http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/   He can also find some old TV shows that featured bugling on YouTube:  "Boots and Saddles"  and "Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion"  . The later will help him learn "Tatoo" and the French call to the clors !. 

Carry your bugle and be close by the SPL so you can serve the Troop at camp !

A tourist was lost in New York and was looking for that famous theater, Carnegie Hall. 

He saw an old gentleman coming toward him on the sidewalk and stopped him, saying, "Pardon me , sir, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" 

The old gentleman pointed his finger at the tourist and declared: "Practice, practice,  practice !!"