Was there a Region One Canoe Base?

Hi,

New to the forum.  I have a collection of old canoe paddles that I have on display at my cabin in Northern Wisconsin.  One of the paddles I have acquired has a crude silkscreen on the front that reads "Region One BSA" and then a couple of words at the bottom I can't decipher.  On the back is some half-done crude artwork.  I'm interested to find out more about the paddle if I can.  I come up with all sorts of information on the Region Seven canoe base (and my cabin is located quite close to where some of the paddling took place), but I find nothing on a Region One base.  I'll add photos in the comments if I can figure out how.

Thanks for any insight or information!

There was a National Maine High Adventure Area at one time (ceased operation in 1991?).  That would have been located in Region 1 in the old 12 region system.  I have never heard it called Region 1 Canoe Base. 

Thanks for the reply. The Region One Canoe Base was my term just because I'd found the Region 7 canoe base info.  The paddle only says "Region One B.S.A.".  So that could be .Perhaps someone will be able to come up with what the two words on the bottom say.

Oh, that is it.  I just added a close up view of the logo and though it's messy, I can make out "canoe trail".  Thanks so much.

Edit- The paddles on the patch even have the angled red stripe at the bottom of the paddle like the one in my collection.

Edited by Feathers

Because it is a stencil and not silk screen, the C in canoe and such like the o need something to hold the center sections in place and thus distort the lettering.  I'd go with Canoe Trail as well and you are correct, the red angled tips are a give-away.

Because it is a stencil and not silk screen, the C in canoe and such like the o need something to hold the center sections in place and thus distort the lettering.  I'd go with Canoe Trail as well and you are correct, the red angled tips are a give-away.

Ah, yes, that makes perfect sense and explains the difficult-to-read lettering in places.

Through the help here I was able to find this page with some very interesting history regarding the paddle: 1947 Canoe Trip.

Especially interesting is the passage explaining the red tip on the paddle:

"That evening, after supper, a solemn ceremony was conducted by the Commodore and old timers.  Based on the lore of the French fur traders of old, pine springs had been gathered in Naples.  These were no shown to us "first-timers" as a marker of the furthest point in our journey.  The red tips of the paddles were explained as representing the blood of wild creatures and fierce marauders who had attacked those traders, known to history as courageous and colorful "Voyageurs".  They had, after all paddled deep into the North American continent and eventually followed down the mighty rivers to New Orleans."

If anyone comes across further information, or could help to narrow down a date for the paddle, I'd love to hear what you know.

Thanks!

There was a National Maine High Adventure Area at one time (ceased operation in 1991?).  That would have been located in Region 1 in the old 12 region system.  I have never heard it called Region 1 Canoe Base.

It had its national status pulled, but it is still a high adventure base run by the Katahdin Council.

http://www.mainehighadventure.org/

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2017 at 12:39 PM, NealOnWheels said:

I believe it is now operated as a council high adventure program.

Hmmm.  I'm always trying to find exciting new places and activities to engage the older scouts, so I did some Googling...

Looks like you might be referring to Maine High Adventure:  http://mainehighadventure.org/

Says they're operated by Katahdin Area Council.  Lots of canoeing opportunities, evidently with some 10,000 acres of available terrain encompassing lots of lakes, rivers, and about 10 miles of the Appalachian Trail.  

Sounds like a spectacular place....