District Event Staff Food Service

Around here I never seen dining-hall style meals for participants at a Boy Scout camp-o-ree.

Cooking is done by each Troop (we hope they would be doing the Patrol Method for this but have seen many Troop method cookng units)

I have seen this at Cub Scout and most Venturing events.

Food for the Camp-o-ree staff is always done as a group with someone at the district level taking the lead and putting together a cooking staff.

Staff also can eat with a Troop if they wish

I like the way Back Pack's  district does things. The family style where staff can grab something and go is a great idea.

Edited by CNYScouter

We just had a Venturing event this weekend. The camp catered BBQ for staff and guests. Well run and everyone in and out in no time. Event cost was only $25. Worth it for a day of shooting, climbing and other stuff.

Wow! That’s actually really good. My districts camporee is $25 fee but nothing’s included.

1. recruit a staff cook team. You can have staff that supports the other staff.

Can't agree with this enough!  In every council I've ever worked with, there's been a team of, usually elder, Scouters who might not be up for the day-to-day Scouting program, but make themselves available to provide food service for camporees, OA events, NYLT, Woodbadge, etc.  In my current council, they have a reputation of being somewhat crotchety and grumpy, but also for having hearts of gold and a willingness to help out when asked.  In my experience, camporees usually don't have a lot of staff, so it might only take the efforts of 2 or 3 people and some good planning to be able to feed your staff.  If your district doesn't have "cook crew" folks on your roster, check with the OA rep, NYLT or Woodbadge advisors, or even the camp rangers.  Someone will be able to give you the name of someone who would likely be willing to help out for a weekend.

25 dollars? That is astounding! What is their rationale for such a high fee?

Yep. And another camp that’s owned by the county but is mostly for scouting charges around $35+ for registration and fees.

I have no idea why it is so expensive.

Edited by ItsBrian

One of the best traits in Scouting is the sense of community.  I've seen so many adult volunteers who enjoy finding their niche and being an adult volunteer.  This is why I like the Camporee cook crew ideas. 

1. it gives your adult camporee volunteers time to get to know each other.  This is a great way to get them to volunteer again and again.

2. it creates a new volunteer role - cook crew.  We have folks who come back just for stuff like this.  Volunteering once or twice a year to cook for a bunch of adult volunteers who work with youth is a very noble role.  As they get to know each other, they'll be back.

• Upvote 1