Summer Activities that scouts can do.

Since the summer is just around the corner and the roundtable season is about to end. I have an idea for the last roundtable. The idea is summer activities for boy scouts and cub scouts. What does you troop or pack do during the summer??? I believe that Hibernation for the summer is a good activate.

Are you looking for ideas to present at Roundtable?

The Cub unit I serve is having an end-of-year family picnic with a Cub-annapolis, campfire graduation ceremony, and lots of outdoor games (with a Plan B of indoor games just in case of rain). Day camp, family one-night overnighter, and family two-night overnighter are planned. Conservation projects are planned: creek clean up, CO grounds clean up, and maybe a project/hike at a local wildlife refuge. Raingutter regatta and kite derby are also on the list, but they're tentative.

The Troop I serve is holding all troop meetings outdoors all summer long. Camping continues. Not very much changes other than meeting more outdoors.

Does this help? Summer's goal for both units is to spend as much time outside as possible.

As far as weekly meetings, we meet up until summer camp (early June) and take a break until school and roundup time (August).

We do look at outings, perhaps a one day merit badge class, and other special opportunities like the religious emblem program. I also encourage the boys to use the summer to complete any merit badge incompletes that accrued during the year or a summer camp.

Cubbing: Year round program; summer activities at the Pack Level.

June: District Day Camp, Council Bear Resident Camp.

July: 4th of July parade, family barbecue, raingutter regatta.

WEBELOS: Webelos resident camp (July and August)

August: Same as July, back to school,

Boy Scouts:

Camp prep and camp.

High Adventure ... including a final prep hike across a long weekend

NOAC

Selected individuals: Philmont Training Center

Just plain camping

Troop swims (check people before they get to camp; help them strengthen swimming muscles)

There's plenty to do the year round!!

John

During the summer the Cub Pack that is the feeder Pack for our Troop typically holds two local family campouts. Very informal. Families of both the Pack and Troop are invited to attend.

The Troop does a week at the Council Summer Camp and starting last summer, does one other multi-day trip. Last year we went to Gettysburg for 4 days, this year we will go to Maine for some Whitewater Rafting and hiking. We have been getting a strong turnout for these trips with 80% of the troop and more than the usual number of adults and parents participating.

SA

Last year our bridging over was a cookout/games day and was a huge success in spite of (or maybe because of....these are young boys after all) 35 mph winds and torrential rains. We had erected tarps and canopies the day before and still had the cookout outside. :)

This year we are doing our Bridging in June in the woods with a real wooden bridge over actual water (not rainwater). However, it has been already decided that if the weather is against us, we will move it inside.

July finds our Pack taking part in our first parade in many years(at least the 4 I've been involved) as our area celebrates its Bay Festival.

August is still being planned, either an Ice cream social or Water slides.

Last year was the first time our Pack had earned the summertime award, and everybody seemed to really have a good time.

For the Cubs, our pack does the following:

- Day camp. About 1/2 of the pack attend day camp. More of the younger ones, less of the Webelos.

- Webelos Resident Camp - about 1/2 of the 1st year and virtually all of the 2nd year Webelos attend WRC.

- Picnic/Pool Party - We have a picnic in a local park and rent the local aquatic center. We encourage them to invite friends for recruitment. It costs about $300, but we charge $1 per head.

- Rocket Derby - In August, just before School starts. Getting them back into the fray.

Boy Scouts -

We continue our weekly troop meetings. We take a couple of weeks off (the week after Scout Camp and the week after a longer campout). We go the the local YMCA for one meeting prior to Scout Camp to work on swimming skills.

We go to Summer Camp the last week of June. We also go on two other campouts. Nothing high adventure this year, but we are planning a rafting/climbing trip next summer.

To keep the relationship with the pack, we participate in the pool party and help run their Rocket Derby.

We set up a food booth at a local community festival as a fund raisers. We may also march in the parade this year.

Are you looking for ideas to present at Roundtable?

Yes, I am.

Huh? Are you saying that hibernation is a good activity?

Hibernation is a pun on words; Hibernation during the summer is not a good activity for scouts

Scouts:

anything with water

build rafts and float / sink them

deepwater rescue in canoes

canoe games - there are lots

all parades outdoors for the summer

water pistol games - lots of those too

lifesaving training - most public pools will help with instructors

do the paintball thing but with water pistols with added vegatable dye - wear old clothes

stand in a dam/pond/slow shallow river. Build a table or raft in the water and light a fire on it. Cook a quick meal on the structure.

Use star charts and telescopes during long warm nights

Video party outdoors

ozemu--what great ideas, many of them never heard by me before. Please tell me a little more about this:

Video party outdoors

We have very large open space outside our meeting place, and we try to stay outdoors as much as possible. What does it take to make something like this work? With our boys, I can see this being a big hit. TIA!

Our council and the local single A baseball team the AquaSox have a night at the game. Then an overnight where they get to pitch their tents in the outfield. We also have a campfire program and a breakfast . We have had 500 to 800 tickets sold the years we have held it. Cub Scouts and Webelos seem to like it best .