Raingutter Regatta Rules

Go to solution Solved by XxInfiltr8torxX,

Hello, 

I'm looking for some advice for what rules should be applied for building Raingutter Regatta boats. I'm a second year den leader and the pack that I am in really didn't have any rules for scouts building their boats. 

Last year during the races, we had a few scouts who's design didn't match that of the typical Trimaran build, but did use  parts that came with the kit. 

We did have one or two parents who complained about the builds and this year wanted to set some guidelines so we don't run into the same situation. 

What's usually the general consensus on this? Stick with the standard design or allow modifications. 

Really could use some advice as the ones who have done the modifications have been in the pack for a while and would possibly get upset of the standardization.  

A quick Google search of "Raingutter Regatta Rules" brings up the experiences of several different Packs and Districts. Check with your District/Council to see if they have a set of rules they use when they conduct District/Council Raingutter Regattas, if they do, you want your winners to be in compliance so they can compete at that level. Otherwise read through the different units and put together a set of rules that meets the needs of your Pack.

Whatever you decide, be sure to put the rules out first to the Pack Committee for their buy in. It will help when you post it out to the parents and Cubs.

• Upvote 1

I ran a regatta once.  I did it much more casually though...... as an activity for a pack meeting.  

I set up 4 gutter runs so we could run two races at the same time

outside so they can get messy

made boats using pieces of swimming pool noodles pre-cut  in half axially then to length

Supplied stuff to make masts and sails and a few things for decoration.  straws for blowing were available as option

Threw out the stuff, and said make boats race in 10 minutes or whenever you're ready....

scouts could line up any way they want in the 4 lines, race whoever they want, race as often as time permitted

Asked den leaders to play up the winners and make sure the gutters didn't get dumped over...but nothing formal and nothing too controlled

keep it simple....no winners recorded

it was loud, it was chaotic...but there were smiles all over the place.....

Oy.  Worrying about rules on something that's supposed to be fun.

The rule is this:  You can use what's in the box.  You don't have to use it all, but you can't add anything to it.  Don't let "rules" squelch creativity.

I think sometimes the complaints along the lines of "that's not fair" are more about "that works better, and I didn't think about it."

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Thanks everyone for your input. We used the "You can use what's in the box" guideline and sent out the pack rule/guidelines  to the parents a week before the event. This really helped out with overall event setting the guidelines for everyone. We did have one issue where a scout used a boat from a previous year which won a "most patriotic" award but won by default as none of the other boats had any patriotic markings.