Just for fun - Monopoly run night

So just for fun... some piccies!

LAst night was an annual favourite for the troop, the Monopoly run! The patrols are let loose in cambridge city centre to try and find various things from car park height limits to what is in certain shop windows etc. Along the way they have to get some photos. Patrol as human pyramid, patrol in a phone box, member of the public wearing a scout necker.

One of the first things the PLC put down when planning the year, there would be insurrection without it!

This year we picked up a couple of potential new recruits along the way, simply by having a public presence. Always worth remembering :)

Happy weekends all!

• Upvote 1

So just for fun... some piccies!

LAst night was an annual favourite for the troop, the Monopoly run! The patrols are let loose in cambridge city centre to try and find various things from car park height limits to what is in certain shop windows etc. Along the way they have to get some photos. Patrol as human pyramid, patrol in a phone box, member of the public wearing a scout necker.

One of the first things the PLC put down when planning the year, there would be insurrection without it!

This year we picked up a couple of potential new recruits along the way, simply by having a public presence. Always worth remembering :)

Happy weekends all!

A scavenger recruiting game in town - clever idea. Do you tread  on competitive turf, say a youth soccer game?

Edited by RememberSchiff
spelling

Ok, I need some context here. What's a Monopoly "run". Is that a pub crawl for Scouts? :)

Even we Brits draw the line somewhere. The scouts do the run, the leaders wait for them in the pub.

The UK Monopoly board has a list of places in London. As you intimate, there is an adults version of the Monopoly Run where you go to London and try and have a drink in each location. Some versions have you taking a picture in each location.

We've done a non alcoholic one in London with our Explorers, actually, there were loads of teams from across the UK and if you were the first ones at a property you "bought" said property, then everyone that turned up after you were charge rent. All done with a clever App on a smart phone. :)

As Mr Schiff surmises, it's basically a scavenger hunt around town.

• Upvote 1

I'm most amazed that you guys still have public phone booths but what a fun event!  I did a similar thing as a team building exercise for a previous employer.  That was twenty years ago and I still think of it fondly.  I'm curious, how long does the event last?  If the scouts are running around town I would think it has to be several hours.  Wish I could get our troop to try stuff like this. 

As Ian said, it's a glorified urban scavenger hunt.

The phone boxes are indeed becoming difficult to find. In some ways we're lucky being a tourist trap because it's about the only place you see them these days, the iconic red phone boxes have been retained in a few spots like Cambridge. Other than that they've nearly all gone.

This version is only a couple of hours, a normal scout evening, just meeting in town rather than our HQ. Cambridge city centre is pretty compact! There are longer versions you can set up, just depends on the time you've got. List of what they were asked to find is below. Probably won't mean much to you but it may help as an example of the kind of things we set

1. What is the maximum height of vehicles that can park at Quayside Carparking? (Bridge Street)
2. Which national cycle route is Thomsons Lane on?
3. What time is the last post collection from Market Square?
4. What is Ted Baker licensed to do? (St Andrew’s Street)
5. Who was the monarch when the postbox on the corner of Bridge Street and Jesus Lane was built?
6. Who lives at 28 St Mary’s Street?
7. What time are services at Great St Andrews?
8. Who is standing to be elected to the board of scrutiny at Cambridge University?
9. Take a photo of a member of the public wearing a Scout neckerchief.
10. How many pairs of socks are in the window of Open Air footware on Green Street?
11. What date are the Ultimate Eagles playing at The Corn Exchange?
12. What colour rucksack is the model holding in the window of Cotswolds?
13. What is the statue of Henry VIII holding in his hands above the gates of Trinity College (Trinity Street): 
14. What bird can you see in the window of Barclays Bank?
15. Take a photo of the whole patrol inside a red telephone box.
16. What are the names of the doctors Bridge Street Surgery (All Saints Passage)?
17. Who put up the scaffolding at Christ’s College?
18. Who would you phone to rent unit 6, Lions yard? (Petty Cury)
19. Take a photo of the whole patrol as a human pyramid
20. How many black glasses are in the window of Oxfam? (Bridge Street)

• Upvote 2