Inquiries for Girls

No. We don't. Cub Scouts does not allow girls. So unless you can show where BSA condones accepting apps for girls and applying the Cub program to them, your running something that's NOT Cub Scouts.

It would be like me letting my Scouts shoot pistols. BSA says no but I thumb my nose and say "Sure, why not." Or maybe I let my Cubs ride ATVs. Why not? They're just rules, right?

Okay, you agree to disagree. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@SSF   Not all girls want to have tea parties and play with dolls. Some want to be outside to camp, cook and get muddy. There's nothing wrong with that. I wanted to be an astronaut as a young girl,

Again your opinion.   The BSA has never stated a den or pack must exclude siblings from activities, just the opposite of late with Family scouting. Girls are even at Cub summer camp. Don't like, com

I don't know, between this post and your reasoning for discouraging OA, I almost get the feeling your are anti-male. Equalizing the sexes seems to be how you rationalize your hostility. Yes, I know, p

Some of your critics have stated that boys will leave or not join a coed scout program, have you seen this with your unit?

Have families seeking to have all their sons and daughters in one unit, transferred their scout sons to your unit and enrolled their daughters?

BSA does not have a national coed Cub Scout and Boy Scout program, YET (emphasis, Gut feeling is the decision is made and waiting  for people to get use to the idea with all the family scouting oriented articles and camp promotions that has been coming out of late i.e. Scouting Magazine, newest Scouting promo video, ad nauseum.  But scuttlebutt is that there are some districts/councils piloting coed Cub Scouts. I t would be interesting to here from those areas, if that is the case.

Personally I do know of 1 family that will either leave the pack and do Lone Cub Scouts, or suck it up for a few months until the Cub Crosses Over. The troop he is joining has already stated that they will fold before allowing girls into the program. It is an outreach ministry of their church, and the church has said "NO!" (emphasis as that was in the conversation).

I know my oldest 2 are not in favor of going coed. I haven't told them that several adults in the troop are chomping at the bit to get their girls in. Don't know if they will stay or transfer to the male only troop. 

@@Eagle94-A1  I find more info about Lone Scouting on various home-schooling websites than I do from National. I would not surprise if Lone Scouting gets repackaged specifically for the home-school market. I don't know if the GSUSA has a similar Lone Scout program.

Also wonder if the offshore BSA councils with small troops may be test coed units.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

in response to the "dad" who remarked "thats what I want for my girls, not selling cookies"... 

1. signup and run a girl scout troop for your girls.  

2. effect change in the girl scout program. 

3. at least appreciate that part of the purpose of selling those cookies aside from "fund raising", is to teach girls business acumen, self confidence, networking skills, and ownership of the program. 

I don't know, between this post and your reasoning for discouraging OA, I almost get the feeling your are anti-male. Equalizing the sexes seems to be how you rationalize your hostility. Yes, I know, psycho babble. But I haven't seen much in your post that show otherwise.

Watered down? Your program is already watered down simply by discouraging OA. Adult fears and ignorance are the biggest obstacles to allowing growth that comes from making decisions. I get the feeling your weren't a boy scout as a youth.

A lot of folks say the studies are mixed. The studies have been around for a long time as well as single sex education. No one disagreed or argued with the facts until recently when mixed genders became fashionable.

Watered down has a lot of implications here, but in large the program will loose the foundation of character growth from the practice of moral and ethical decisions. I have watched the program change in the last 20 dramatically away from scouts independently driving their activities to more adult driven activities. I believe part of it is due to a more fearing helicopter parenting mentality. But the other part is that fewer adult leaders have the youth experience to carry over the scouting spirit of the program. The reason we are seeing so much more advancement driven program is because the advancement process for adults is easy to understand and measure. 

Building character from freedom of choice doesn't have the instant measurement of unit performance like advancement. Stature is also measureable, and since leadership is a requirement of advancement, scouts are getting less freedom to choose how and when they will lead, leaving the adults to drive a program that places the boys into leadership slots so that their advancement will continue. 

Adults that don't have the experience of character growth by learning from independent choices typically don't trust the notion of the process. So, that is why adults without a youth experience naturally gravitate toward the measureable part of the program. We are watching the progression of the troop program changing to Webelos III.

Barry

There is difference between Not encouraging and discouraging.   And I fail to see the hostility. 

I can assure you our troop is Scout led.  All of these question have been posed to the Scouts.  I think you will find the Scouts are much more open to a coed program than leaders. 

Scouting and BP started in the UK, the UK and most of the rest of the world have gone Coed.

A Scout is Trustworthy.  You are deliberately being Untrustworthy.  

On your honor, you will do your best... to obey the Scout law. 

I fail to see how anything we are doing is untrustworthy, you may disagree with it but there is nothing untrustworthy about it.  We tell them up front what the lay of the land is and what we are doing with the apps etc. 

I fail to see how anything we are doing is untrustworthy, you may disagree with it but there is nothing untrustworthy about it.  We tell them up front what the lay of the land is and what we are doing with the apps etc. 

you are taking applications, holding on to them instead of delivering them to district, and then accepting the girls into the Pack.  If you don't see that as untrustworthy... there is nothing more to be said. 

Okay, you agree to disagree.

No. That's what people say when their argument is weak and cannot be supported by facts.

FACT: Cub Scouts is for boys only. Not girls.

Refute that fact and then you have a basis for argument, otherwise you are just wrong.

No. That's what people say when their argument is weak and cannot be supported by facts.

FACT: Cub Scouts is for boys only. Not girls.

Refute that fact and then you have a basis for argument, otherwise you are just wrong.

Yes you have said that numerous times in this thread . As Snow Owl stated none of the girls applications were forwarded, let alone accepted by Council, so the girls are not Cub Scouts. They are just there doing the program in parallel.  Fairly common at the den level (even back in day with my sisters) and increasingly more in packs as they have adopted Family Scouting. So is it Cub Scouts if the family non-members come along and participate?  National appears to encourages it. 

If you don't like the way someone runs their successful scout unit, be calm and run your own.

Edited by RememberSchiff
repace post with thread
  • Upvote 1

Yes you have said that numerous times in this thread . As Snow Owl stated none of the girls applications were forwarded, let alone accepted by Council, so the girls are not Cub Scouts. They are just there doing the program in parallel.  Fairly common at the den level (even back in day with my sisters) and increasingly more in packs as they have adopted Family Scouting. So is it Cub Scouts if the family non-members come along and participate?  National appears to encourages it. 

If you don't like the way someone runs their successful scout unit, be calm and run your own.

I've run a pack. It was focused on boys per BSA in a family environment. We didn't take applications for girls because it is a silly, meaningless thing to do. Could girls participate? If it didn't take away from the program, sure. But make no mistake it was. boy-focused program.

Running a "parallel" program is not Cub Scouts. Running a Cub Scout program they way BSA intends, where family is involved is Cub Scouts. Anything else isn't.

Successful or not, it's not Cub Scouts. I could run a Cub program where everything on the age matrix is in scope for Cubs, doesn't make it right..or Cub Scouts.

• Upvote 1

Eagledad,

Others have voiced opposition to OA without being anti-male.  I disagree with OA, but I agree with all-boy scout units.  I don't see any connection between the two issues.

If you think there is a connection, could you please explain it to me.

Your opinion and we agree to disagree. 

Again....

The fact is that Cub Scouts is NOT for girls and running a parallel program for girls is against what BSA intends. That's a fact. You can delete this post too if you like, but it doesn't make your "opinion" fact or correct.

Fact is Cub Scouts is for boys. Period. Anything to the contrary is wrong.

Again....

The fact is that Cub Scouts is NOT for girls and running a parallel program for girls is against what BSA intends. That's a fact. You can delete this post too if you like, but it doesn't make your "opinion" fact or correct.

Fact is Cub Scouts is for boys. Period. Anything to the contrary is wrong.

Again your opinion.

The BSA has never stated a den or pack must exclude siblings from activities, just the opposite of late with Family scouting. Girls are even at Cub summer camp. Don't like, complain to the Camp Director and the Den Leaders there; they are their kids.  The adults and kids make it work.

No one here, despite your misreading, has enrolled girls in Cub Scouts. They are along for the fun.  If the families, unit, Council do not have any qualms why the fuss?

Seems we are beating a dead horse if you like that expression better than agree to disagree. I will lock this topic pending review.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1