Sabattis Adventure Camp Going, Going, ....

Interesting, so you are actually going further to get there than our troop would be, and you are coming from out of council. So there must be something there that some troops find attractive (including patrol cooking.) I am not surprised to hear that the summer has been getting shorter there; that's usually the point at which councils start talking about closing an "extra" camp, especially when there is a developer waving piles of cash at them.

@@NJCubScouter

I talked to a friend today about this! He works at Allamuchy, so he’s pretty reliable not just a random guy. Apparently the director for sabattis was promoted to run all the summer camps, so therefore I guess they can’t find a good enough replacement or something.

@@NJCubScouter

I talked to a friend today about this! He works at Allamuchy, so he’s pretty reliable not just a random guy. Apparently the director for sabattis was promoted to run all the summer camps, so therefore I guess they can’t find a good enough replacement or something.

Well... I don't think they would close a camp due to difficulty in finding a director.  If they want to fill the position, they can find someone to fill the position.  Or to put it another way, if the camp was meeting the financial "bottom line" set by the council and/or National, the camp would remain open and they would hire a new director.  There are promotions and personnel shifts and people coming and going from the professional staff all the time. I think the financial issue is the real motivating factor in considering closing the camp.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Follow-up:  At last week's troop meeting I spoke with the Scouter I mentioned above, who has actually been to Sabattis, unlike every other active adult (or Scout) in the troop.  He doesn't think there is much chance of that property being developed. He said it is located in the middle of a state park and that there is really no "infrastructure" that would support any kind of development.  He said it is "in the middle of nowhere", which I guess is a relative term, but as I said, he is my best available source of information about the camp.

He also said that rumors about closing Sabattis come up every 3-5 years and this is probably more of the same.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Follow-up:  At last week's troop meeting I spoke with the Scouter I mentioned above, who has actually been to Sabattis, unlike every other active adult (or Scout) in the troop.  He doesn't think there is much chance of that property being developed. He said it is located in the middle of a state park and that there is really no "infrastructure" that would support any kind of development.  He said it is "in the middle of nowhere", which I guess is a relative term, but as I said, he is my best available source of information about the camp.

He also said that rumors about closing Sabattis come up every 3-5 years and this is probably more of the same.

@@NJCubScouter

Another follow up from me as well, I went to Allamuchy for a hike this weekend and the reservation director said (who was just at sabattis recently)that it’s a beautiful camp and that’s it’s a shame that it may be closed... aren’t they voting today?

The article isn't clear on exactly when the meeting is, but it does say there will be a protest at council hq on Sept. 18 at 6 p.m., which is about 10 minutes from now, and is about 10 minutes from where I sit at the moment.  (But I'm not going.) I guess that implies that the council executive board meeting is at the same time.

The article isn't clear on exactly when the meeting is, but it does say there will be a protest at council hq on Sept. 18 at 6 p.m., which is about 10 minutes from now, and is about 10 minutes from where I sit at the moment.  (But I'm not going.) I guess that implies that the council executive board meeting is at the same time.

It’s probably only ten people anyway.

Here is the announcement:

Special Announcement – Sabattis Adventure Camp

Sep 19, 2017 | Front Page

The Patriots’ Paths Council Executive Board met on Monday, September 18th during a special session to discuss the future operation of our Sabattis Adventure Camp. The Board discussed the results presented to them by a special task force commissioned by Council President George Barnard, which had met over the last year.

After thorough and thoughtful discussion, the Board voted to continue our camping activities through the end of the 2019 summer camping season.

https://ppcbsa.org/2017/09/19/special-announcement-sabattis-adventure-camp/

As with many statements by National and councils, this could be a little clearer, but they seem to be saying that the camp will close at the end of the summer in 2019.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

Update Nov, 2021:  GONE

"The Patriots’ Path Council — which includes 11,000 Scouts in Morris, Somerset, Sussex, Union and parts of Middlesex County — told its members earlier this month that it entered into a contract to sell Sabattis Adventure Camp, its beloved campground in the Adirondack Mountains.

A previous proposal to sell Sabattis Adventure Camp in 2017 was delayed by the Boy Scout council after nearly 2,000 people signed a petition to save the camp.

The sale of the camp will help Patriots’ Path Council pay a portion of the $3.7 million the council is expected to contribute to the bankruptcy settlement, officials said. Discussions are still underway to decide how the council will pay the remainder of the money."

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/11/2-nj-boy-scout-councils-selling-camps-to-pay-for-sexual-abuse-settlements.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1