Penn State Pro Wellness at Bashore Scout Reservation (PA)

If one burns 3000 calories a day, a ton of starch and carbs won't matter. Seriously? It's the fat adults who don't walk around (or can't) that get fat at camp.

Again, it’s more for the education on it I believe. Yes, it “ won’t matter “, but can still put you at risk for heart disease, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carrots for Candy; The Great Boy Scout Experiment   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=140&v=PT3lDVZGX_U     ...The role that PRO Wellness played with the Boy Scouts and nutritious m

Again, it’s more for the education on it I believe. Yes, it “ won’t matter “, but can still put you at risk for heart disease, etc.

Same for my troop, we always make sure to follow the nutrition guidelines. It still may not be the best food for you to eat, but it’s netter then having a pound of bacon. Example, we do scrambled eg

Yes a lesson for life - how to eat healthy,

Exactly. People also think that if you eat a pound of bacon, that you will “burn it off†by the end of the day. That’s not how your body works. All that sodium can not be “burned offâ€. The calories technically can yes, but figuratively speaking no.

This is why they need education.

Edited by ItsBrian

Carbs don't put you at risk for heart disease.

The point is that the Sugar Nazis don't have to manage what kids eat. Offer up healthy choice in the mess hall? Fine. Manage kids with limited snacking options in the TP is too much. Let kids be kids. If they're Scouts they get the food choices beat in to them in MBs and rank Advancement. The last thing they need is someone pushing carrots on them instead of slushes in the TP.

Excess sugar

The point is that the Sugar Nazis don't have to manage what kids eat. Offer up healthy choice in the mess hall? Fine. Manage kids with limited snacking options in the TP is too much. Let kids be kids. If they're Scouts they get the food choices beat in to them in MBs and rank Advancement. The last thing they need is someone pushing carrots on them instead of slushes in the TP.

At the trading post, the new approach meant changes to both product placement and product cost. Healthier options became more visible and less expensive.

“These good-for-you foods were priced lower than candy, slushes and soda, which were still available for purchase,†Jeanne Arnold said. “They just weren’t the first thing you saw.â€

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/08/29/bsa-camps-adding-healthier-options-at-dining-halls-trading-posts/

Thanks I didn't finish that fragment about carbs and heart disease.

Excess sugar, whatever the source, can lead to higher triglyceride levels and increased weight, both heart risks. 

As stated in the links, the slushes and candy are still there. You seem upset that healthier alternatives were made available  giving the consumer more freedom of choice. 

Edited by RememberSchiff

Thanks I didn't finish that fragment about carbs and heart disease.

Excess sugar, whatever the source, can lead to higher triglyceride levels and increased weight, both heart risks. 

As stated in the links, the slushes and candy are still there. You seem upset that healthier alternatives were made available  giving the consumer more freedom of choice.

I'm ticked about people making choices for others. Offer healthy food, great. Don't over engineer the offers though. Too much low/no fat, gluten-free, no oils food is ALSO bad for you. Some folks process carbs, oils, sugars, etc differently. This just smacked of too much engineering an outcome by limiting choices. Perhaps it was the way it's written.

These things are not universal so applying them to everyone is incorrect. Leave it up to the individual. Let's not police people's freedom of choice.

I don't want to get too personal here, but is this the attitude you take with your own children?  Let them eat whatever they want?  Let the individual decide?

And yes, I realize this is different, but it's not that much different.

Science says otherwise... see links below.

https://www.livescience.com/48969-heart-disease-diabetes-risks-carbohydrate-saturated-fat.html

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/carbs-higher-risk-heart-disease-states-leading-cardiologist-dr-salim-yusuf/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2844943/Why-fry-isn-t-bad-thought-Carbohydrates-risk-diabetes-heart-disease-saturated-fat.html

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/03/how-carbohydrates-can-affect-your-heart-health/

And that’s only a few articles.

I don't want to get too personal here, but is this the attitude you take with your own children?  Let them eat whatever they want?  Let the individual decide?

And yes, I realize this is different, but it's not that much different.

I stock the house with good and bad. I ask them what they want. I cook healthy but don't monitor what they eat at school, for snacks or when alone. I've taught them well and they know good from bad. Have they had cake for breakfast when on their own? Probably. But they've also had salads and fruit and milk and veggies in abundance too...all on their own.

I've noticed my friends who've always made these choice for their kids have obese 18-20-somethings because they never had to make the choices on their own. We talk so much about boy-lead and "train 'em, trust 'em, let them lead" but when it comes to nutritional choices we don't trust them anymore? So much for traditional scouting values.

We are talking carbs, not saturated fats.

Not al carbs are the same. Heart disease is genetic and life-style induced. Eliminating carbs is not the answer to curing heart disease. If it were we'd have eradicated it years ago. Don't throw up a straw man. It's a complex issue that dictating choices won't work. Educating folks on the balance while giving a full (not limited) range of choices is the key. The biggest issue is being able to read your body and how it reacts to various foods. The wholesale elimination of "bad carbs" is very 1990s. Science has moved on from this notion. Read the APOE genomic research.

We are talking carbs, not saturated fats.

Not al carbs are the same. Heart disease is genetic and life-style induced. Eliminating carbs is not the answer to curing heart disease. If it were we'd have eradicated it years ago. Don't throw up a straw man. It's a complex issue that dictating choices won't work. Educating folks on the balance while giving a full (not limited) range of choices is the key. The biggest issue is being able to read your body and how it reacts to various foods. The wholesale elimination of "bad carbs" is very 1990s. Science has moved on from this notion. Read the APOE genomic research.

Carbs, anything can put you at risk for diabetes, heart disease, etc. Diabetes and a heart disease are *not* always heredity. I have studied it as a nursing student and if a parent doesn’t help show how they should eat at home, and continue at camp, then they’ll be just as bad. BUT, if they are educated at home, then come to camp and eat whatever, they probably won’t eat as healthy anymore before camp.

Carbs, anything can put you at risk for diabetes, heart disease, etc. Diabetes and a heart disease are *not* always heredity. I have studied it as a nursing student and if a parent doesn’t help show how they should eat at home, and continue at camp, then they’ll be just as bad. BUT, if they are educated at home, then come to camp and eat whatever, they probably won’t eat as healthy anymore before camp.

And the converse is also true: You can show them what you want at camp, but if it ain't continued at home your basically wasting your time. We agree it's about educating youth we disagree that forcing a kid to make these choice, as well as limiting his choices, is wrong.

And the converse is also true: You can show them what you want at camp, but if it ain't continued at home your basically wasting your time. We agree it's about educating youth we disagree that forcing a kid to make these choice, as well as limiting his choices, is wrong.

So places like Whole Foods are not allowed to sell healthy food then if that’s what you’re implying? What if that’s the closest store to me? They’re forcing me to buy stuff...

Just a thought