Eagle Scout Project Donations

Go to solution Solved by qwazse,

So, I've been getting donated gift cards from grocery stores.. recently got a $175 one. My Eagle Scout Coach said that someone can buy it from me. Basically, it would be transferring the gift card into a monetary donation. What do you guys think about this? I personally don't want to do this. 

I would use the grocery store gift card to buy snacks and drinks for my volunteers.

Yeah, I planned on that, but I have $225 as of right now in grocery gift cards. I mean like after I spend like $50 on snacks, food, etc. then "convert" to money.

• Solution

I don't see that as a big problem. Check in with the patrols in your troop, or some packs and Girl Scout troops, ask them if hey we're going to buy groceries for some upcoming events if they would be willing to buy your gift cards.

I think the grocer would like to attract more customers, and other scouts knowing that his/her store supports Eagle projects is the return on goodwill investment the store manager is looking for.

• Upvote 1

I don't see that as a big problem. Check in with the patrols in your troop, or some packs and Girl Scout troops, ask them if hey we're going to buy groceries for some upcoming events if they would be willing to buy your gift cards.

I think the grocer would like to attract more customers, and other scouts knowing that his/her store supports Eagle projects is the return on goodwill investment the store manager is looking for.

Thanks! (You see, I didn’t click the down arrow haha) Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure what your project is, but funds raised above the needed amount should go to the project beneficiary. So if these are in excess of your needs ask the beneficiary what they want you to do with them. If it is a church they could apply it towards a food kitchen.

If you need the funds for the project, see what else the grocery store offers. Some sell gift cards to places like Lowe's, Target, and Amazon. Perhaps you could purchase those with your donation, if it would help with the project.

You could also see about transferring it to your troop in exchange for whatever you need for your project. They will always have needs for food for CoH, outings, and donations to food kitchens.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what your project is, but funds raised above the needed amount should go to the project beneficiary. So if these are in excess of your needs ask the beneficiary what they want you to do with them. If it is a church they could apply it towards a food kitchen.

If you need the funds for the project, see what else the grocery store offers. Some sell gift cards to places like Lowe's, Target, and Amazon. Perhaps you could purchase those with your donation, if it would help with the project.

You could also see about transferring it to your troop in exchange for whatever you need for your project. They will always have needs for food for CoH, outings, and donations to food kitchens.

Yea, I’m aware all money goes to beneficiary if left over. Thanks for your advice!

@@HelpfulTracks, we know from @@ItsBrian's other thread that these are not funds "in excess" of the project budget. The gift cards are in effect a conditional grant. A low-tech grocer could have easily said, "I will give you up to $175 for every dollar that someone in your troop spends at my store this week."

My rule-of-thumb with any gift card: liquidate ASAP. That includes to the beneficiary, if possible. They can claim the gift cards for the equivalent in cash or the direct purchase of the materials for the project. If at the end of the day the scout holds excess cash, he can give it to the beneficiary to spend however they please. Everybody wins.

FWIW - I am also the same with coffee punch cards. I tell the owner, "If you see me here more than you can stand, pull me a shot gratis, or give your staff a bonus. Just don't make me carry another piece of paper."

• Upvote 1

@@HelpfulTracks, we know from @@ItsBrian's other thread that these are not funds "in excess" of the project budget. The gift cards are in effect a conditional grant. A low-tech grocer could have easily said, "I will give you up to $175 for every dollar that someone in your troop spends at my store this week."

My rule-of-thumb with any gift card: liquidate ASAP. That includes to the beneficiary, if possible. They can claim the gift cards for the equivalent in cash or the direct purchase of the materials for the project. If at the end of the day the scout holds excess cash, he can give it to the beneficiary to spend however they please. Everybody wins.

FWIW - I am also the same with coffee punch cards. I tell the owner, "If you see me here more than you can stand, pull me a shot gratis, or give your staff a bonus. Just don't make me carry another piece of paper."

Thanks qwazse, I missed that in the other post. Not being sure what the status was, is the reason I pointed out two paths, one if they are excess and another if they are not. I have never liquidated a card like that so I am not sure what the process is or if they would even allow it, just looking for creative ways ot get what he needs from what he has.

• Upvote 1

Thanks qwazse, I missed that in the other post. Not being sure what the status was, is the reason I pointed out two paths, one if they are excess and another if they are not. I have never liquidated a card like that so I am not sure what the process is or if they would even allow it, just looking for creative ways ot get what he needs from what he has.

Sorry for confusing you! I haven’t done my project yet, and so far the only big funding I’ve gotten was from the two grocery stores. Like I said above my ES Coach said someone can buy the gift card donated and then I use the money to fund my project (whatever left over goes to beneficiary.)

So basically it’s like changing it from a gift card to money.