1 hour ago, Buggie said:

That's a coincidence.I ended up a blend of an old man and a stubborn mule named Number Seven. 

I was only aware of OA elections starting with this one scout. A scout who had the respect of everyone because he respected everyone regardless, and gave them his time and attention. He was elected. He was simply awesome as a person and I'm still incredibly impressed with him. The following year, two scouts were elected and it was more of a popularity contest, but both scouts had merit, but they also were favored by the scouters. Politics were heavily involved. 

I hate troop drama.

Glad your boy reconnected and was able to participate in Lodge again.  I remember a fellow named Number Seven, seems like he did go on a bit from time to time. Usually when work needed to be done or some emergency was going on.

Troop drama, Lodge drama, social networking drama...it's enough to make you want to run off to some mountain top and be a hermit or something. But politics and drama have been around for a long time and I suppose realistically they are here to stay. Best we can do is make sure the scouts' critical thinking is sharpened enough to cut through the nonsense when needed.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bottom line is that some SM's do not understand what OA is, what it does, or how it can benefit their troop. Others see it as a detriment to their troop, thinking it pulls boys away from their tro

We do not encourage OA in our Troop for most of the reason already stated.   It is a good ole boys club Pulls the top Scouts out of our unit In our council at least, very poorly run Does not all

Annual elections in January. OA Advisor (ASM) works with unit Arrowmen to promote OA within unit and to remind guys if they are on the border of eligibility. Make sure elections note all camping night

Yes, as with most drama, I do my best to keep my mouth shut and not to participate. First off, anyone I would tell in BSA land around here would know all the players since everyone knows everyone else in this district. It would only come back to harm someone. Secondly? Not helpful.

Focus on the positives where ever possible. And if you do have something constructive to say, take it privately to the person. 

That's not to say that it will stop the drama nor am I immune to it. 

But I'm pretty sure my drama stories are similar to other people's stories. 

And as far as Grizzly Adams & Mad Jack, Ben & Number Seven go.... Old TV shows were amazing at times with their basic setup. For example, a trucker with a monkey outsmarting a local sheriff all the time. The other day I was driving my son and daughter somewhere and the conversation somehow ended up on an old Disney show (Kim Possible). At first my kids were amused that I could sing the first few lines of the theme song. Then the amusement faded to something else as I continued to sing it all the way through. 

3 hours ago, Buggie said:

The other day I was driving my son and daughter somewhere and the conversation somehow ended up on an old Disney show (Kim Possible). At first my kids were amused that I could sing the first few lines of the theme song. 

I am amused that you consider Kim Possible to be an "old" Disney show.

• Haha 2

Buggie,  As  a dad I'm  glad your son had a "time to stand up for myself " moment, and passed it with flying colors. We all have them at some point in our lives.

As a ceremonies advisor, I'm just livid.  If my vice chief of ceremonies did that to a member of the team he would be fired at the next team meeting.  I would want to do it but the scouts would beat me to it.    Of that I have no doubt.  In fact the only question in my mind is if he would be even allowed to stay on the team at all.