Initially this was going to be a rant. But instead this is a proud dad moment.

My son is currently the SPL. Last month the theme was canoeing. For a variety of reasons, only 2 weeks were spent on the theme before the camp out and  then moving onto wilderness survival. One of the new cross over parents posted a picture from the weekend, and the comment that they need to finish the canoeing MB and the youth leaders  need to set it up and get the troop to finish what they started. Several of the new parents liked the comment.

My son replied that unfortunately they already have things planned that the Scouts need to get ready for, specifically the next camp out and the camporee.

I think my son handled it professionally and courteously. very glad about that.

Here's the irony. While the goal was not to earn Canoeing MB, he did plan on spending more than 2 meetings on the topic before the camp out so it would be possible for some to finish it. Adults coming up with last minute stuff interfered with those plans.

• Upvote 3

I agree I would've handled it the same way. I would actually have him follow-up with parents saying that they can finish it with your council's merit badge counselors. Merit badges aren't the troop responsibility. Great if your troop does have times where they focus on a merit badge (mine does sometimes too). But, parents need to understand if they don't finish it it's the scout's responsibility, not the parents.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 2

Adults coming up with last minute stuff interfered with those plans.

My gut tells me that doesn't sound like boy-led. But, I could be wrong. If not, then perhaps some adults need to take a step back.

I agree your son handled it very well, you should be proud!

I agree I would've handled it the same way. I would actually have him follow-up with parents saying that they can finish it with your council's merit badge counselors. Merit badges aren't the troop responsibility. Great if your troop does have times where they focus on a merit badge (mine does sometimes too). But, parents need to understand if they don't finish it it's the scout's responsibility, not the parents.

Outstanding answer and you are very correct. I would say that since these appear to be parents of recently crossed over scouts, then there is an opportunity for a gentle and friendly learning experience for the adults. They may not realize that one of the difference between Cub and Boy Scouting is the scouts responsibility to pursue merit badges on their own and to not have them spoon fed to them.  The PLC /Troop provided an opportunity for the scouts to learn and gain an interest. From that point, the is the responsibility of the individual scout to work the MB.

My gut tells me that doesn't sound like boy-led. But, I could be wrong. If not, then perhaps some adults need to take a step back.

I agree your son handled it very well, you should be proud!

Outstanding answer and you are very correct. I would say that since these appear to be parents of recently crossed over scouts, then there is an opportunity for a gentle and friendly learning experience for the adults. They may not realize that one of the difference between Cub and Boy Scouting is the scouts responsibility to pursue merit badges on their own and to not have them spoon fed to them.  The PLC /Troop provided an opportunity for the scouts to learn and gain an interest. From that point, the is the responsibility of the individual scout to work the MB.

Yeah, especially if the parents are newly crossed over the troop should have a parent information session, to explain how Boy Scout works, what a merit badge is and how to earn the, and other parent stuff. That’s what my troop had to do, parents who had no idea what a merit badge was.