Membership fees increasing again

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the most "official" message I've seen, so far. https://www.facebook.com/CommissionersOfTheBoyScoutsOfAmerica/?hc_ref=ARS7UnPtgmsiMVjgzkPmke6C8ZqWfDJVmjhOEtY-ZwGGJZBnI2cCkQ3qC2DIkDJ59m8&fre

They added a FAQ that made them look particularly dumb. Yes, there have been increases an average of once every 5 years. But in this case it's been twice in 7 years and the total has doubled in 5 year

2.2m memebers x $9 increase just about covers shortfall of 180,000 LDS kids not registering. What I object to most is 1) the steep increase (last time we went from $18 to $24 with the same excuses), 2

It is a pilot project.  Covers the annual registration, Boys Life, new handbook each year (or $12 credit for Boy Scouts), and awards at Scout Shop.  This is the start of the second year.  http://metrolakes.nsbsa.org/

I like the idea of one upfront payment but this does not appear to be it.  Are units suppose to be bill collectors for those who chose quarterly payments?

I like the idea of one upfront payment but this does not appear to be it. Are units suppose to be bill collectors for those who chose quarterly payments?

I guess units are suppose to be bill collectors, but they don’t need to if it’s one payment.

Edited by ItsBrian

Does Dunkin Donuts coffee count as "fancy?" I like that a lot better than what I get in a Starbucks, and it's probably about a dollar less and I get it a lot quicker.

It's still expensive no matter what, to be honest. If you make it at home, probably can make three+ cups for how much you pay for one. 

It's still expensive no matter what, to be honest. If you make it at home, probably can make three+ cups for how much you pay for one.

Well, I get free coffee at work (keeping in mind that there's no such thing as a free cup of coffee), so you can't beat that.

The email I received about the YPT changes and Fee Increase also included this: ... "Effective for the 2018 BSA summer camp season, any adult accompanying a Boy Scout troop to a residence camp or other Scouting activity lasting 72 hours or more must be registered as a leader, including completion of a CBC and YPT, even if they are the parent of a youth on the trip."

Is that a "national" change or a local change?

I actually think it's a good idea. Summer camps are always filled with way too many adults. I think it damages the experience for the youth. But it will still get circumvented. I can't see a scout camp saying a dad or mom can't camp overnight with the troop for a few nights. OR the night before a kid leaves camp.

If that is a BSA new rule, it's worth it's own thread.

Edited by fred johnson

Is that a "national" change or a local change?I actually think it's a good idea. Summer camps are always filled with way too many adults. I think it damages the experience for the youth. But it will still get circumvented. I can't see a scout camp saying a dad or mom can't camp overnight with the troop for a few nights. OR the night before a kid leaves camp.If that is a BSA new rule, it's worth it's own thread.

As a unit we've limited camp to registered, trained leaders and only enough to cover the required ratio.

Our council implemented a $22 per registration (youth and adult) "activity"  fee instead of collecting for FOS.  $33.00 national + $12 boys life + $22 activity fee = $67 per scout just to register :-(

Sorry. I wouldn't pay. We've told our district loud and clear if they charge a fee we will relocate two blocks away to the other district that will never charge a fee

Sorry. I wouldn't pay. We've told our district loud and clear if they charge a fee we will relocate two blocks away to the other district that will never charge a fee

Andysmom is right.  Districts can't hold money.  All money is council money.  Popcorn.  FOS.  Rechartering.  Districts can charge for specific events and activities, but profit or loss hits the council bank account.  Even event budgeting and approvals is a council thing.

So with dwindling membership, the thought is to make Scouting more expensive? 

Seems legit

Right. And then national sends out (today) a plea to donate money. So...increase fees AND more direct solicitations to members (bypassing councils) for even MORE money???

I think it's clear BSA has no concept of money. You don't raise fees AND solicit for more donations from the SAME group in the SAME week. That's either stupidity or gross incompetence...or both.

• Upvote 1

Is that a "national" change or a local change?

I actually think it's a good idea. Summer camps are always filled with way too many adults. I think it damages the experience for the youth. But it will still get circumvented. I can't see a scout camp saying a dad or mom can't camp overnight with the troop for a few nights. OR the night before a kid leaves camp.

If that is a BSA new rule, it's worth it's own thread.

The email that was forwarded to me had communications@@scouting.org as the From address and the header top of the message said "This message is being sent to all Scout executives, area directors, regional directors, commissioners and managers at the National Service Center."  So I took it as a change from National.