....  At conference I told the teacher I was surprised she was participating.  He said, "She isn't, but I'm not going to penalize her for being who she is."  I broke down and cried like a baby.  It's been a rough road for these two kids, who are beyond the label of 'shy'.  My other two are the complete opposite....

I would rather get an honest grade from the teacher, maybe with a call in advance warning me to be patient with my children but promising that the school would unflinchingly, yet kindly, expect more from her.

We had to "train" our youngest son's elementary school teachers to let us know immediately when homework was not turned in. Because of his other positive traits, they were willing to overlook his neglectfulness. We weren't.

I sincerely hope your daughter finds a GS troop or other club that will challenge her to put herself "out there." At the same time, some people are more fulfilled by "behind the scenes" work, of which this country needs a lot. So never let your two young introverts disappoint you.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There many positions in scouting. Here are a few. Senior Patrol Leader   Assistant Senior Patrol Leader Patrol Leader Troop Guide Quartermaster Scribe Den Chief Chaplain Aide Historian Ins

I know this is for qwazse, and I look forward to his opinion.   The problem with positions like Webmaster, librarian, historian and bugler is that many units have very few expectations for those pos

Truth? When I was a scout, librarian was harder than SPL. Lots of boys earning MBs, needing books, req changes left and right, plus volumes of Boys Life to bind, scouts forgetting to check-in and chec

I sincerely hope your daughter finds a GS troop or other club that will challenge her to put herself "out there." At the same time, some people are more fulfilled by "behind the scenes" work, of which this country needs a lot. So never let your two young introverts disappoint you.

At my high school graduation, 6 seniors were awarded the National Thespian Honor Award.  5 of them were leads in the school's productions.  I was never on stage. I was in the pit orchestra for the musicals, I was props, costumes, stage manager and was director for the one-act play production.  I earned a "Letter" in basketball, too.  Never played a game, nor scored a point.  But if someone needed ankles taped, a towel, stats maintained, running the clock, etc. the trainer was called upon without any spotlights showing on them.  When everyone else grabbed binoculars and headed out on the tarmac for a downed plane state-wide search in Civil Air Patrol, guess who got stuck in the command center manning the radios and mapping locations on the map of completed search patterns.  

Some people get "stuck" doing the dirty work and holding things together behind the scenes.  One doesn't need to be in the limelight to "help other people at all times."

By the way, the long term affect of the behind the scenes leader is I just got back from 4 weeks in Houston with Harvey's rampage and the Division Staffing Lead gave me a call this afternoon and because of the magnitude of the damage, hardship conditions, minimal access to food and water, possibly sleeping outside due to shelter shortages and everything one needs to take has to fit into what one can carry on their back, no luggage they specifically want me to head out to the Virgin Islands to help with the recovery efforts after hurricane Maria. 

Someone, somewhere along the line, some see things that others don't.  I was very shy in high school, I didn't date, but my Dad paid me $50 to take a girl to the Senior Prom because it was important that I didn't miss out on that experience.  I outgrew it. @swilliams, don't worry, your boy will outgrow it too.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1