I thought I was attending a meeting to become a Den Leader, but I was wrong. I am now the new Cub Master for our Pack. Our old CS leader is stepping down, and will help me until Christmas. I am blessed to have the help. We aren't a very big pack for being the only one in our city of 31,000. I was in Cub Scouts as a kid from Bobcat through Webelos. I loved it and want to make sure these kids have an awesome CS experience like I did. I still get Christmas Cards from my Den Leader from 30 years ago. Our Pack has a lot of room for growth and improvement. I can't wait to get started. 

Joe Leik

Cub Master & USAF TSgt

Pack 399

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the boards, and commendations for accepting such a big job! You sound like you're prepared to do a great job with it; the boys will be lucky to have you! Good luck, and remember to ask any questions you may have here - I have received all kinds of help from the lovely folks here!

The part I'm struggling with is that the old CM is still there as the Webelos DL and helping me. I badly want to make changes, but it is hard to make the needed changes while the old CM is still around and helping me. For example, all the Dens meet every week at the same time and location like a pack meeting, but it is not a pack meeting. We do a flag ceremony, announcements then break off into Dens.  It is too chaotic for the kids to have a good Den experience. We do not have a real monthly pack meeting. We lack a committee. The CM does everything. We take a break off for Summer.

I think the first thing I will do is have real  monthly Pack meetings. It seems the least intrusive.We have a lot going on until Christmas so I think I will stick with the Den meetings as they are. After Christmas, I will give the Dens more autonomy with when and where to meet. This will make Pack meetings more meaningful, and hopefully allow Den Pride to develop.

The part I'm struggling with is that the old CM is still there as the Webelos DL and helping me. I badly want to make changes, but it is hard to make the needed changes while the old CM is still around and helping me. For example, all the Dens meet every week at the same time and location like a pack meeting, but it is not a pack meeting. We do a flag ceremony, announcements then break off into Dens.  It is too chaotic for the kids to have a good Den experience. We do not have a real monthly pack meeting. We lack a committee. The CM does everything. We take a break off for Summer.

I think the first thing I will do is have real  monthly Pack meetings. It seems the least intrusive.We have a lot going on until Christmas so I think I will stick with the Den meetings as they are. After Christmas, I will give the Dens more autonomy with when and where to meet. This will make Pack meetings more meaningful, and hopefully allow Den Pride to develop.

Question, where does your pack meet? Church, school?

We meet at a Legion hall so we have just one open room with a stage.  

So does mine! Anyway, since you have limited space I really think you could run it like a Troop meeting. Do opening ceremony together, but then you would break out into dens. In a troop, you would break out into your patrol. If your legion has an outside area like mine does. maybe have each DL plan something for outside and rotate weekly so it isn't as crowded if space is small. I remember as a Cub Scout we went over our DL's house a lot, maybe you could have the Tigers go to their DL's houses.

If you give me a  rough estimate of how big the hall is I can probably suggest more ideas.

Brian, I'm definitely wanting the Dens to meet elsewhere. I too remember going to my Den Leader's house almost every meeting. Sometimes another parent hosted, but usually it was at our Den Leader's house.  I'm bad at guestimating size, but I would say we have about 600 sq ft. plus a stage.  We only have a few weeks left of decent weather and having light outside in the evening. Normally we break up with a group on the stage, and in the corners. We are currently running our meeting as you said. We hold an opening ceremony, do announcement and then break off into Dens. 

Brian, I'm definitely wanting the Dens to meet elsewhere. I too remember going to my Den Leader's house almost every meeting. Sometimes another parent hosted, but usually it was at our Den Leader's house.  I'm bad at guestimating size, but I would say we have about 600 sq ft. plus a stage.  We only have a few weeks left of decent weather and having light outside in the evening. Normally we break up with a group on the stage, and in the corners. We are currently running our meeting as you said. We hold an opening ceremony, do announcement and then break off into Dens. 

Have you tried contacting your school district to see if you could hold meetings there?